PDA

View Full Version : Wide angle projection lens question:

Jody_S
4-Nov-2012, 18:30
I have a lens from a French magic lantern, with a similar layout to this one: ebay #360504114803 (last photo shows layout).

Does anyone know of any taking lenses with this layout? I've experimented a little with mine on a speed graphic, 4x5: with a single element at the rear, I cover the format no problem, but if I add the 2nd element it vignettes severely from the tube of the lens itself; I've tried making waterhouse stops for mine (it's the heavy brass pivoting lid arrangement with a slot for filters, I made cardboard stops for there). With any sort of stop, it just vignettes more. I'm sure if I remove my elements from the lens tube and mount them directly on a lens board, it will be an actual 'wide angle' lens instead of a simple meniscus the way I've used it. Would there be any advantage to trying this, or is it just a curio? I bought the lens quickly, I assumed it was a RR design that was improperly assembled by the seller, but when I got home I discovered there simply was no other way to put it together.