PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Toner Contaminated with Gold Toner?

tgtaylor
3-Nov-2012, 10:25
After toning the final print last weekend in a 1% gold-ammonium thiocynate toner, I absent-mindfully added a 20% Platinum toner after draining the gold and failed to wash the print for the usual 5 minutes between toners. Instead of tossing the resultant platinum toner, now contaminated with a higher concentration of gold than if I would have washed the print, I kept it. What do you think: Is the platinum toner still good? I didn't care for that third print but I can't tell at this point if that is due to the contaminated platinum toner or to the exposure.

Thomas

sanking
3-Nov-2012, 11:27
After toning the final print last weekend in a 1% gold-ammonium thiocynate toner, I absent-mindfully added a 20% Platinum toner after draining the gold and failed to wash the print for the usual 5 minutes between toners. Instead of tossing the resultant platinum toner, now contaminated with a higher concentration of gold than if I would have washed the print, I kept it. What do you think: Is the platinum toner still good? I didn't care for that third print but I can't tell at this point if that is due to the contaminated platinum toner or to the exposure.

Thomas

Impossible to know for sure. Sometimes mixing gold and platinum toners will cause staining, either from the metals or from other chemicals. If you have a standard toned test print you should be able to compare and quickly tell the difference. If not, just make a new print before trashing the toner. The toner is too expensive not to at least give it a try.

Sandy