PDA

View Full Version : Most common filter size?

nimo956
3-Nov-2012, 10:02
I'm thinking of getting a Rodenstock 135mm or 150mm as my first LF lens. Both have 49mm filter sizes. This means that B&W contrast, polarizer, and ND grad filters are all relatively inexpensive. Should I invest in larger size filters though and use a step-up ring? If so, what size should I get?

Gem Singer
3-Nov-2012, 10:10
67mm is a popular size for newer 90,180, and 210 lenses. Fuji has standardized on that size for their latest CM-W lenses.

Generic step-up rings are readily available at B&H at modest prices.

BrianShaw
3-Nov-2012, 10:11
I don't think there is such a thing as "most common". What is important is to know what the largest that will fit on your lenses. Adapter rings to go from smaller lens to bigger filter is OK but not the other way around. To be honest, over the years I have dumped such schemes and just spent the money to buy the right filters. Eliminates the hassle. I learned that the first time I had the filters but not the right adapter ring.

Another option is to look at the "universal" filter holders like Tiffen or...

The other suggestion is to really soul-search on what filters you'll be needing. I have a bunch of filters in all different sizes and really only use two or three... on occasion.

E. von Hoegh
3-Nov-2012, 10:13
I'm thinking of getting a Rodenstock 135mm or 150mm as my first LF lens. Both have 49mm filter sizes. This means that B&W contrast, polarizer, and ND grad filters are all relatively inexpensive. Should I invest in larger size filters though and use a step-up ring? If so, what size should I get?

Purchase filters in the largest size you will need, then get stepping rings to fit all the lenses which take smaller filters.

vinny
3-Nov-2012, 11:01
CircularNd grads? Just not a good idea. How do you adjust them? Lee rectangular or singhray type.
I started with 52mm, then needed 72, then 82. Get it?
I now have step up rings on everything with 82mm lens caps as well. Not cheap but convienant.

Sevo
3-Nov-2012, 11:25
Even in 35mm, the maker's attempts to consolidate filter sizes usually were somewhat futile when it came to the personal camera bag - all very short, long or fast lenses tend to be an exception from the rule, so most photographers only had three or four of the "standard" lenses among as many diverging ones. In LF, the makers did not even attempt to standardize - I own modern lenses in any of 52, 58, 62, 67, 72 and 77mm plus a variety of old, odd ones.

Leigh
3-Nov-2012, 11:42
I have sixteen 4x5 lenses, from 65mm through 450mm, with filters from 49mm through 105mm.

The most common filter size in this group is 67mm, and most of my filters are of that size.
I also have a number of filters in the larger sizes, and some step-up rings.
Care is advised when using step-up rings with wide-angle lenses.

- Leigh

Heroique
3-Nov-2012, 12:11
I’d just pick-up a few 49mm filters for now, but also start thinking about your future.

Imaginary examples:

I’m pretty sure my second lens will be a Fuji A 240mm/9 w/ 52mm threads, so I’ll get a 49-52 step up + 52mm filters.

Change of mind: I think my second lens will be a Schneider 110mm/5.6 w/ 67mm threads – and I suspect future lenses will also have the common 67mm threads – so I’ll get a 49-67 step up + 67mm filters.

I already have plenty of 52mm filters in my 35mm bag, so I’ll just get a 49-52 step up and be efficient.

I like the Lee system and might go ahead and spend the money, so I’ll get Lee’s 49mm adaptor ring + Lee filters. This will give me a great way to use rectangular GND filters.

Wait, maybe I’ll get a 49-67 step-up ring + Lee’s 67mm adaptor ring + Lee filters.

Perhaps I can standardize around two filter sizes, 52 & 67 or 52 & 77, etc. Step ups for all my lenses to those two sizes. And if I get into Lee, 52 & 67 adaptor rings...

The LF art can inspire healthy meditation about purchases!

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2012, 12:35
As the Heliopan and Rodenstock filter distributor for the USA 67mm has historically been the most popular size overall but now 77mm has replaced 67 as the most popular and 82mm is becoming very popular. This is not due to filter use on large format lenses but is due to the popularity of larger lenses for DSLR cameras today.

Leigh
3-Nov-2012, 12:39
I’d just pick-up a few 49mm filters for now, but also start thinking about your future.
Small filters cost more in the long run because you can't use them with lenses that need larger filters.

As Bob said, 67mm or 77mm would be reasonable choices, and larger ones might be useful.

- Leigh

Heroique
3-Nov-2012, 13:16
To be honest, over the years I have dumped such schemes and just spent the money to buy the right filters. Eliminates the hassle. I learned that the first time I had the filters but not the right adapter ring.

I just want to underscore the wisdom here – there’s a risk that comes w/ being overly rational.

It can lead to the new photographer’s one-lens kit and no way to simply screw on a filter.

“Where’s my 49-67mm step-up? The one that allows me to have large filters that will work w/ my future lenses? It was supposed to always stay attached...”

Picking up the critical 49mm filters for now is perfectly fine and will work.

Sal Santamaura
3-Nov-2012, 14:07
I'm thinking of getting a Rodenstock 135mm or 150mm as my first LF lens. Both have 49mm filter sizes...

I’d just pick-up a few 49mm filters for now...I've no experience with the 150mm Apo Sironar S, but the 135 has a bulbous front element, just like the 135mm Apo Sironar N that came before it. Of the top-tier filters I've seen (including B+W), only Heliopan places the glass far enough forward in the ring so that collision between the front element and filter is avoided. Whichever larger size you standardize on, I'd keep the step-up ring permanently mounted on your lens, then use a lens cap which fits on the ring.

If you do decide to go with 49mm filters (other than Heliopan), screw them on very slowly, placing a piece of lens tissue on the front element first. If, when the filter ring is fully seated into front lens threads, that tissue can shift around, all is well. If, on the other hand, the tissue is trapped in place, you will likely damage the front lens element unless a larger filter and step-up ring (or 49mm Heliopan filter) are used.

welly
3-Nov-2012, 14:42
I've decided to standardise my filter collection with lee square filters. Means I don't need to worry about lens sizes or buying multiple filters of the same type. I find the quality of lee filters fantastic and they have all the filters I would possibly need.

C. D. Keth
3-Nov-2012, 19:42
CircularNd grads? Just not a good idea. How do you adjust them? Lee rectangular or singhray type.
I started with 52mm, then needed 72, then 82. Get it?
I now have step up rings on everything with 82mm lens caps as well. Not cheap but convienant.

Same thing I've done. I don't have anything larger than 67mm right now but all my filters are 82mm.

Leigh
3-Nov-2012, 19:48
I've no experience with the 150mm Apo Sironar S, but the 135 has a bulbous front element, just like the 135mm Apo Sironar N that came before it.
There was no Apo-Sironar-N. The Sironar-N was an apo design, but that designation was never engraved on the lens nor given in the literature.

Bob has confirmed that on previous occasions.

- Leigh

Kirk Fry
3-Nov-2012, 20:48
How about the ever popular 40.5 mm size? (90 mm angulon among others)

Sal Santamaura
3-Nov-2012, 21:20
There was no Apo-Sironar-N. The Sironar-N was an apo design, but that designation was never engraved on the lens nor given in the literature.

Bob has confirmed that on previous occasions...Methinks you are confused, perhaps remembering something about the 150mm Apo Sironar-W. There most certainly was an Apo Sironar-N, including ten versions from 100mm through 480mm; see the table mid-page here:

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/largeformat_en.html#table1

Manufacturer data on the last two focal lengths to be produced are here:

http://www.linos.com/pages/mediabase/original/rodenstock_apo-sironar-n_e_2474.pdf

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2012, 21:31

I've got the literature. As for the lens itself...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rodenstock-Apo-Sironar-N-72-degree-135mm-f-5-6-copal-0-Lens-MINT-11369868-/110900882852

Bob Salomon
4-Nov-2012, 01:15

Bob has confirmed that on previous occasions.

- Leigh
The Sironar-N MC was replaced with the Apo Sironar-N which is now out of production and has not been replaced with a newer line. The current Rodenstock analog lens line-up is the Apo-Grandagon, the Grandagon-N MC and the Apo Sironar-S MC along with the 120mm and 180mm Apo macro Sironar MC.

The current Digital lens line up is the HR Digaron-S, HR Digaron-W, Apo Sironar Digital W and the Apo Macro Sironar Digital 120mm MC. Of course all of the above lenses are MC.

Doremus Scudder
4-Nov-2012, 04:02
My solution to the filter size problem is as follows:

First, the largest filter size I have in my kit is 67mm (I try to stay small and lightweight)
I have a lot of smaller lenses that take from Series V to 52mm
I only have three lenses that take 67mm filters.

I have two filter kits: one 52mm and one 67mm. Each has a polarizer, yellow, green, orange, red and blue (80B) filter. I also have a few others scattered about my kit (e.g., a Wratten 44 mounted in a 52mm filter ring, a lighter green, etc.)

I have adapted all the lenses smaller than 52mm to accept 52mm either using step-up rings or custom-machined adapters. If I choose to leave my 75mm,90mm and 450mm lenses behind, I can make up a 5 lens kit from 100mm to 300mm that all take 52mm filters. This is what I carry on long hikes and backpacking trips. With this, I can get away with a small filter wallet with the six 52mm filters.

For a less strenuous outing, I usually have at least one of the larger lenses along, and then take the larger filter wallet with the 67mm filters as well. Just in case, I have a 52-67mm step-up ring that stays attached to one of the filters in the 67mm filter wallet.

My advice to the OP:

Get a set of filters that will fit the largest lens you are planning to use and appropriate step-up rings for the largest lenses you own. If there is a logical mid-point, like there is with my kit, then a second set, adapted to the smaller lenses is a wise idea.

Best,

Doremus

Ken Lee
4-Nov-2012, 05:06
The spreadsheet at Specs for new large format lenses (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/) (which lists 120 different lenses of recent manufacture as of 2002) isn't exhaustive, but the trend is clear:

67mm is by far the most common filter size, with 39 lenses ranging from the 47mm Schneider Super-Angulon XL to the 720mm Nikkor T ED.

Next come 52mm, 82mm and 95mm with 9 lenses each.

nimo956
4-Nov-2012, 15:52
As a side note, what are the most important filters to get for B&W landscape/cityscape? Yellow, red, a polarizer, and an ND grad filter?

Sevo
4-Nov-2012, 16:24
As a side note, what are the most important filters to get for B&W landscape/cityscape? Yellow, red, a polarizer, and an ND grad filter?

As work filters, my most used would be yellow-green, linear polarizer, orange, ND 3.0 (10 stop) filter (quite relevant for shooting open with a lazy old shutter), and a variety of colour compensation and balancing filters (which besides being around for colour can be used to subtly alter the densities of colours relative to each other), in that order. For fun and personal shots, I like red filters - but not being a photographer in a dramatic/gothic niche, these excessively dramatic skies and pale skins don't sell...