PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this sink? Would you use it?

Curt
2-Nov-2012, 21:26
From a major retailer.

Stephanie Brim
2-Nov-2012, 21:47
:confused:

That is some badly written copy.

Roger Thoms
2-Nov-2012, 22:16
Sound like the sink I have in storage from my old darkroom and will go into my new darkroom if I ever get it built. Low cost and perfectly serviceable. Not as nice as fiberglass or stainless steel but much less expensive. One thing that doesn't make since is the electrostatic paint. I always thought the Delta sinks were straight ABS. Oh maybe they are talking about the stand.

The sink sounds kind of small, are you thinking about this as a second sink?

Roger

joselsgil
2-Nov-2012, 22:21
Only holds two 16x20 trays?

That would be a small sink. It may work if you plan on making prints no larger than 8x10. Or if you just use the sink to develop film.

Curt
2-Nov-2012, 22:23
Read the copy again, word for word, very carefully.

Leigh
2-Nov-2012, 22:29
The ripped bottom will certainly speed up the draining process. :eek:

What do you expect? They don't use sinks in china.

I expect the outside dimensions are 2'x4'. That's pretty small. Mine is 3'x6'.

- Leigh

Roger Thoms
2-Nov-2012, 22:33
Curt, yes you got me, must remember to read post more carefully. So would I buy that sink? Well let's just say I'd have serious reservations.

Roger

Kuzano
2-Nov-2012, 22:38
How much????

I sold a seven foot long by 24 inch Stainless Steel commercially made sink, with stainless backsplash, water temp control valve fully plumbed in and four separate valve hoses for trays..... Made in Illinois as I recall. Excellent Condition. Watertight, no significant staining, heavy duty.

Sold to a poster on this forum for well under $200 as I recall. I'd pay about $40 to $50 for what your describing.... Maybe.

Nah... Im just kidding... I wouldn't go a dime over $25 for what you described. Keep an eye on craiglist and eBay.

Kuzano
2-Nov-2012, 22:49
Wholly Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!.... I just looked up that sink. B&H has it for $275 and not much there looking at the pic.

NO!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15735-REG/Delta_62610_5_Foot_Commercial_ABS.html

Curt
2-Nov-2012, 22:57
Isn't that a hoot? Roger, your sink can't be nearly the same as this one. Even if its in the bottom of a storage unit. I got a good laugh when I read it.

What every sink needs, a quick dump onto the floor!

Curt
2-Nov-2012, 22:59
No, I'm not getting one! :)

Roger Thoms
2-Nov-2012, 23:39
Actually that sink should be fine, but I would recommend installing a floor drain and a getting a good pair of rubber boots.

Riger

Brian C. Miller
3-Nov-2012, 00:39
Sportsman's Best utility sinks price list (http://www.sportsmansbest.com/prices.html). Looks like the prices for the Arkay stainless steel sinks are right in line. Yeah, the ad copy for the plastic sink isn't good. Delta (http://www.cpmdelta1.com/Darkroom.htm) describes it as

One Year Limited Warranty. These super tough sinks take everything you can give them and more. Ribbed bottom for rapid draining and complete water circulation. thermo-formed from black, ¼" ABS plastic. ABS plastic is used to make car bumpers, football helmets, and our sinks.

Also, they still list stainless steel trays. A single 11x14 tray will set you back $112.95.

Curt
3-Nov-2012, 01:09
Actually that sink should be fine, but I would recommend installing a floor drain and a getting a good pair of rubber boots.

Riger

They should include under accessories a sump pump or floor mop and bucket!

David Michael Bigeleisen
3-Nov-2012, 17:56
Well-

It depends on how large you are going to print, and how large your darkroom is. In most cases, the larger the sink, the better. You will want to have room for at least four trays of the largest size print that you are going to make: develop, stop, fix, hold and wash. I bought a new stainless sink from California Stainless in Camarillo quite a few years ago. It will last longer than I will. If you need to save money, watch for ads on this forum and on craigslist. Also, hang around restaurant supply houses and restaurant equipment auctions. You may be able to get something pretty close to what you want for pennies on the dollar.

David Michael Bigeleisen