PDA

View Full Version : For those that use Walmart/Fuji labs for 120/220 film processing.

JosephBurke
2-Nov-2012, 08:58
This is just an FYI
I was going to send out a roll of 220 C-41 film yesterday and noticed that the new envelopes at Walmart make reference to film negatives no longer being returned to the customer.
I called Fuji labs this morning and was told that new policy only applies to 35 mm format film. 120 and 220 will still have the negative or positive returned.
--Joe Burke

Bob Salomon
2-Nov-2012, 10:17
Why in the world would they do that?
What if you demand to get your property back?
There still must be at least a few people who do not want to develop film but do want to make their own prints.

EdSawyer
2-Nov-2012, 10:26
Sounds like complete idiocy on the part of Walmart. Just another reason to write them off...

Bob Salomon
2-Nov-2012, 11:04
"will still have the negative or positive returned."

If they don't return the positive then you pay them and get nothing. Not a bad deal if you are trying to raise revenue. If that was the case you could just throw the roll of slide film away and take the money.

vinny
2-Nov-2012, 11:30
There was a thread on apug when this started up a while back. You get what you pay for.
People wonder why their local labs no longer exist.

Serge S
2-Nov-2012, 12:11
My son dropped off some film at Walgreen's and was told the same thing...no negs back:(

Scott Walker
2-Nov-2012, 12:12
You get what you pay for.
People wonder why their local labs no longer exist.

Yep

Stephanie Brim
2-Nov-2012, 12:19
The Target in Fort Dodge or Ames is where I used to go. I'll have to call and see if they still do developing.

Sevo
2-Nov-2012, 13:27
Why in the world would they do that?

I suppose they do it because it is more profitable/competitive to email back the scans (or a link to them on some server) and use the shop internal digital picture kiosk for small prints and orders, rather than have separate logistics there and back for the dwindling share of consumer film.

What if you demand to get your property back?

For a while, they'll probably shelve the films for a few weeks to be able to ship them in case of a protest. Once the system has become familiar they might start scanning and discarding without even drying the film, and then you'll be SOL.

There still must be at least a few people who do not want to develop film but do want to make their own prints.

At least in Germany, Eurocolor (Fuji) offer both professional and consumer services - if you mail in the film directly or order through a pro shop you'll get the former (at a higher price). And there also is a mid-price consumer service including film.

Drew Wiley
2-Nov-2012, 15:29
I'm supposed to feel sorry for folks who patronize sweatshops like that ???? And you wonder why your downtown is all boarded up, including the camera store?

Roger Thoms
2-Nov-2012, 15:42
I don't shop at Walmart so it's not an issue. Look on the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about your negatives getting lost.

Roger

JosephBurke
3-Nov-2012, 06:38
The reason I choose Walmart for that random roll of 120 or 220 is that there are no local labs that develop 120/220 film anymore. I have a Jobo and have processed both C-41 and E-6 process roll films with it with no problem. BUT, it isn't economical for just a couple of rolls-so I send it out. I don't care abut the prints from C-41--I just want the negatives so I can print my own. This is not Walmart's policy but rather Fuji lab's policy regarding 35 mm film. I still shoot an occasional roll of 35 mm and now I will have to get my processing done elsewhere--mail order I suppose. I find home processing, mainly the "handling" of 35 mm film to be a PITA. I process all of my black and white at home and shoot MF most often--several reasons but again the handling of the miniature format film is a PITA and contributes to my preference of medium format (quality issues aside).
--Joe Burke

marfa boomboom tx
3-Nov-2012, 12:01
it's the bovemark, man

you're supposed to change them, not them change you!

oh, yah -- assumption junction -- 'in the long run, we're all dead.'

Joseph O'Neil
3-Nov-2012, 13:05
The thought come to mind, even if you agreed to this madness to begin with, how do you know the scan of the negative they did was good to begin with? I don't know about the rest of you, but personally i find scanning a negative correctly to begin with is something of an art in itself.

joe

Sevo
3-Nov-2012, 13:18
The film service at Walmart is targeting an audience that cannot even afford a basic $60 digital.

JosephBurke
18-Nov-2012, 08:30
Sevo, this is not using Walmart's own in-store film service, which is pretty much non-existent since digital printing is about all that is now offered. I'm referring to their send out service which is sent to Fuji labs in Ohio (in my case).
Wal-mart employee's don't have a clue, in most cases, of what 120 or 220 film is nor that they can even get it processed.
Before you write-off the service that they provide access to let me explain what I ordered from Fuji labs and what I got.
I sent a roll of 220 Fuji NPS 160 through Wal-mart to Fuji labs. I requested processing only with no prints-- under special instructions I noted this along with the film format and process and "Two Week Special Service".
Heres what I got back in one week:
24 exposures of sleeved medium format film with no trace of dirt, residue, or scratches. I can now just scan the whole lot on my Epson V700 for two easily made contact sheets.

I can't complain--honestly I'm quite impressed. All for 84 cents!!
--Joe Burke