PDA

View Full Version : Is a 12" Ektar too heavy to use on a 5x7 Deardorff?

Serge S
1-Nov-2012, 20:03
Hi,

I purchased a 12inch Commercial Ektar this summer to use on my 5x7 Deardorff. It's the older model from the early 30's with no front swing & 4 1/2 " lensboard if that matters. The lens has been sitting around as I need to get a lensboard for it & get the shutter serviced. After picking it up a few times, I began to wonder if it too heavy a lens (No. 4 Acme shutter) to use with my camera? The only lens I've used to date is a 210 Fujinon L (purchase based on favorable opinions from the forum members) which is way lighter! I like the Fuji very much:)

Thanks in advance

Serge

Mark Sampson
1-Nov-2012, 20:37
Should work fine if you're careful. The #4 shutter will just fit on a 4-1/2" board and the weight will be towards the upper limit of what's usable.

E. von Hoegh
2-Nov-2012, 06:43
Hi,

I purchased a 12inch Commercial Ektar this summer to use on my 5x7 Deardorff. It's the older model from the early 30's with no front swing & 4 1/2 " lensboard if that matters. The lens has been sitting around as I need to get a lensboard for it & get the shutter serviced. After picking it up a few times, I began to wonder if it too heavy a lens (No. 4 Acme shutter) to use with my camera? The only lens I've used to date is a 210 Fujinon L (purchase based on favorable opinions from the forum members) which is way lighter! I like the Fuji very much:)

Thanks in advance

Serge

No, it's not too heavy. When setting up the camera, divide the extension between the front and rear focussing rails so the camera stays balanced.

Serge S
2-Nov-2012, 11:52
Thank you both for the feedback. I did not want to mess things up one way or another:)

Serge

Craig Roberts
2-Nov-2012, 15:15
I have used that lens on a 5x7 DD with no issues at all.

E. von Hoegh
3-Nov-2012, 07:45
I have used that lens on a 5x7 DD with no issues at all.

Yes, the camera would have been designed and constructed with lenses of this size and weight in mind. A modern 300 might be a strain, though - if it even fits on the lensboard.