PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice about building a camera

northcarolinajack
1-Nov-2012, 10:08
A carpenter I am not, but my neighbor is an excellent cabinetmaker. I have restored a couple of camera and have another underway. I have another Kodak View Number 1 Full Plate, in worse condition that the one I did a couple of years ago. This one will need wood parts made to replace damage or missing items. Of course I went to my friend about making the needed parts. He suggested while making the parts I need, why just not made the complete camera.

My questions to all are simple:
1- I know the market would be small, but would anyone have interest in a new
camera modeled after the old Kodak. It could be fitted with a full plate back
or either a 5x7 or 4x5 back. I have both these backs for my camera, converted
from old 8x10 reducing backs. They work great.

2 – Where would it be possible to purchase the various brass hardware needed.
This would be perhaps more difficult than the wood parts which I feel sure
my friend could manage very well. By the way, the wood discussed was
cherry.

Any comment would be welcome.

Jack

You could send email to jhar987@gmail.com or of course LFF

Steven Tribe
1-Nov-2012, 11:04
You are right in thinking the sourcing of brass fitments is a problem, unless one of the minor makers of modern cameras has surplus stock.
The only seller of suitable items I remember seeing is the current Deardorff "organisation".

In the 1920's things were different, and I enclose a page from a big Swedish photographic supplier. These items (mostly for the Continental tailboard type) were available in different sizes for cameras from 4x5 to 10x12"!

DrTang
1-Nov-2012, 13:03
I cobbled together a 5x7 (masked to 5x5...yeah, yeah, yeah..I know) from assorted parts I had around.. a lightweight 5x7 tailboard would be cool

IanG
1-Nov-2012, 13:03
In the UK there were a couple of companies selling parts.

82868 82869

You could buy parts separately, as a kit or ready built, the idea was small photographic retailers could sell cameras under their own name and also make to order. It's a shame there's nothing similar today even just for fittings.

Ian

mike rosenlof
1-Nov-2012, 17:32
I can't help much with the hardware parts, etc. There's a DIY section of this forum also that might be more appropriate for this question. Good luck!

Jim Jones
1-Nov-2012, 17:58
You can design the camera to utilize whatever parts are readily available. The Jay Bender LF kit available in past years was an example of what a woodworker can improvise. Most, but not all, LF cameras use rack & pinion focusing. At least some versions of the Mexican made Noba camera used belt drive focusing. The New Vue and maybe the Brand cameras used a longitudal screw thread. My WWII vintage Minolta strut half plate camera is limited to one lens with helical focusing like the Plaubel Makina. and no movements except modest rise and slide.

sully75
1-Nov-2012, 19:55
Are you talking about making cameras to sell? My guess is that Chamonix would have you beat. They make a pretty sweet whole plate camera already. They have the scale to do it relatively cheaply I think. And the cameras are great.

But if you are building one for yourself, knock yourself out!

northcarolinajack
3-Nov-2012, 03:42
Thanks all, but hardware seems to be impossible at this point.

Jack

DKirk
3-Nov-2012, 06:52
Have a look at some woodworking and cabinet making websites/forums - since you're basically starting from scratch they MAY be better, at least from the hardware side than here.

ic-racer
3-Nov-2012, 16:48
There may be a small market for new focusing beds, as the channels in these can be damaged through the years.

DKirk
4-Nov-2012, 03:47
Part for focusing rack perhaps, sorry for the ebay link, but it's a start - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOD-1-0-RACK-AND-PINION-15X15-CNC-AUTOMATION-1000mm-/220994624209?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item33744e5ad1

Ironage
4-Nov-2012, 06:37
I know there are lots of retired machinists who could fabricate all the parts for the camera from scratch. There are several American small businesses that still fabricate brass mor

Ironage
4-Nov-2012, 06:39
Oops... Morse code keys and sell them on the Internet. You could team up with a machinist like this.

normanv
4-Nov-2012, 13:08
Dkirk, that rack, and most others that I have found, is huge, 15 x 15mm. It would weigh a ton (well not literally, but you get my drift) If my memory serves me correctly my Kodak 2D had a rack approx 10mm wide and 3mm thick. Nobody seems to make them this thin anymore.
As for the fittings, there are many companies offering laser or water-jet (better) cutting of brass at reasonable prices, It means that you would have to design them yourself but it is not difficult.

Bill_1856
4-Nov-2012, 14:24
"Looking for advice about building a camera."
My advice: DON'T.

Lachlan 717
4-Nov-2012, 14:56
Dkirk, that rack, and most others that I have found, is huge, 15 x 15mm. It would weigh a ton (well not literally, but you get my drift) If my memory serves me correctly my Kodak 2D had a rack approx 10mm wide and 3mm thick. Nobody seems to make them this thin anymore.

Thinner, brass racks are made by KHK gears. Here, in their catalogue (http://www.khkgears.co.jp/khkweb/search/sunpou.do?indexCode=28&referrer=series&sic=1&lang=en), you will see 3mmm, 4mm and 6mm wide racks.

Here are the corresponding gears, (http://www.khkgears.co.jp/khkweb/search/sunpou.do?indexCode=14&referrer=series&sic=1&lang=en) and here are their spur pinion shafts. (http://www.khkgears.co.jp/khkweb/search/sunpou.do?indexCode=106&referrer=series&sic=1&lang=en)

normanv
5-Nov-2012, 00:47
It's not the width that is the problem, it's the depth. What I have always wanted is shallow rack that does not need such a deep groove to fit it.

Lachlan 717
5-Nov-2012, 03:24
The deep rack assists with linear strength. It helps to carry the weight of the front standard and lens.

A deeper rack will, in theory, allow a greater draw, greater stability and heavier lenses.

Steve Smith
5-Nov-2012, 04:32
Have a look here: http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/ and look through the Workshop section.

I have some drawings based on his design which could easily be stretched up to 5x7.

Steve.

DKirk
5-Nov-2012, 05:22
Bizzarely, looking at the bits available, and the sheer size of the tracks etc it looks easier to build a ULF camera. Hmm a nice little project for when I have funds. . .