PDA

View Full Version : dilemma on lenses

Lundsgaard
1-Nov-2012, 07:05
Hi everybody,
i am new to this forum as well as to large format.
In my younger days, i did quite a lot of bw photo and worked in the darkroom. and as it often happens, i took up my old interst and has very quickly upgraded into large format.
I do not know how it happens, but i seem to run into a lot of inexpensive LF equipment, i want it all, but i think it is best for me to keep it simple, at the beginning at least.

i am in a bit of a dilemma, somewhat luxorious i admit, i have these lenses:

rodenstock apo ronar f 5,6 by 360 mm on compur shutter
schneider kreutznach f 5,6 by 135 mm on compur
schneider kreutznach super angulon f8 by 90 mm on compur

and have the opportunity to aquire following at realative low cost:

rodenstock sironar N f5,6 by 210 mm on copal shutter
rodenstock sironar N f5,6 by 150 mm on copal
rodenstock grandagon N f 4,5 by 90 mm. on copal

i have a sinar norma 4x5.
as i am very new to LF, i am not shure what my line of pichtures will be in the end.
Therefore i am looking for a set of 3-4 lenses to cover LF in general.

Do you have any suggestions ??
klaus
denmark

Steven Tribe
1-Nov-2012, 07:41
Velkommen Klaus!

Prices in Denmark are very low as there are very few buyers and ex-studio lenses sets like these have been at a realistically low prices for a long time. Perhaps we are getting to end of clearouts now, though?

It is worth checking the shutters as non-use in the last decade could have created some problems.
Check e**y "sold prices" and buy all 6 if you have some space between prices there and the prices you have to pay locally.
The sinar is a good starting point if you go in the direction of classic, historical lenses - where the option of a sinar/copal shutter creates freedom.

Tim Meisburger
1-Nov-2012, 08:12
A standard 3 lens set would be a 90mm, 135mm, and 210mm. I would go with the Rodenstock set (150 instead of 135), and add the 360mm, but all of the lenses you mention will be nice.

Joseph Dickerson
1-Nov-2012, 08:29
Velkommen Indeed!

The 210mm will fit right in with what you already own so that would be my first choice. The difference in field of view between the 150 and 135mm lenses is small. A couple of paces or so at best. The 90mm Grandagon might, and I stress might, be a better choice than your 90 Super Angulon, depending on condition, price, what you could get for the Super Angulon if you buy the Grandagon, etc.

As Steve suggests, check the shutters at all speeds. Where I live shutter repair, even CLA, is not cheap.

By the way, I live in Solvang, California, essentially "Denmark West!".

JD

Steve Barber
1-Nov-2012, 08:45
Buy the 90mm f4.5 Grandagon-N and the 210mm f5.6 Sironar-N and sell the 90mm f8 Super-Angulon. That gives you a 90mm, 135mm, 210mm and 360mm lens progression. The only issue would be the 135mm vs. the 150mm. All other things being equal, if I did not have the Schneider, I would go for the Rodenstock for consistency. Actually, since you already have the Schneider 135mm, I do not think the change to the Rodenstock would be worth the effort and I like the 135mm better, anyway.

Emil Schildt
1-Nov-2012, 09:37
Welcome.

Where in Dk are you located. (we could maybe meet and you could see some other choises...)

rdenney
1-Nov-2012, 09:50
Brand consistency has never really been important to me. I can't seem to tell the difference in the pictures. My technique and the scene before me dictates my outcomes more than the brand of the lens by a factor of about a thousand.

But the 90/4.5 will be easier to focus and compose than the 90/8, and that makes it a worthy trade in my view, if the price is right.

135 vs. 150 is a personal call. Get both and sell the one you never use. You'll probably get what you paid, so it's a free trial.

A 210 is a good lens to have, especially given your current wide gap between 135 and 360. I use my 210 a lot, but the next shorter lens I usually carry is a 121 (I have a 180, but usually don't carry it). The next longer lens I carry is a 305, but I don't have a 360.

Rick "enjoy your Norma" Denney

Frank Petronio
1-Nov-2012, 10:51
I would buy the lenses with the best glass and shutters, based on condition. If the the Rodenstock 90/4.5 is in good shape then it is a stellar lens. It is nice to have all later multi-coated lenses if you can afford them.

John Kasaian
1-Nov-2012, 11:01
My advice: Only add a new focal length lens to your optical armada if you find that you have a genuine need for it. Unless you're a collector.
Regarding the 90mm, you may want a faster lens(Grandagon), or a lighter wieght/smaller lens(SA) all else being equal (but maybe not, I don't know what the imge circle is on these lenses)

BrianShaw
1-Nov-2012, 14:09
Considering what you have (nice selection, by the way) I'd shoot some film. If you feel trapped with the 360 and 135 -- one too long and the other too short -- consider a 210mm.

Personally, I like a 300... but never had a 360 so I wouldn't know if I might like that better.

Lundsgaard
2-Nov-2012, 11:47
thank you all for your prompt and well argumented replies.
Most reflects what i had in mind, the angulon 4,5 for its large aperature that lightens up the ground glass, possibly keeping all three rodenstock for the consistency, ( easier to find the right knob on the shutter ! ) plus the 360 mm, making a set of four lenses.
I will most certainly check the shutters, as i just yesterday picked up a copal at the watchmaker from cla. cost me 100 ds.
I am shure that will do for a long time, will of course give all lenses a good test.
I actually wondered if any of the glases were better/poorer than others, but so far, no one has that as an issue.

Gandolfi, Steven, and of course all others, Danes or near Danes, i live by Nibe, Jutland.
Send PM and we might arrange shoot out or just a chat, i need practice and will appreciate any kind of "mentorship".

Emil Schildt
2-Nov-2012, 15:21
Gandolfi, Steven, and of course all others, Danes or near Danes, i live by Nibe, Jutland.
Send PM and we might arrange shoot out or just a chat, i need practice and will appreciate any kind of "mentorship".

I live in Vrå... Not that far away...

Lundsgaard
3-Nov-2012, 06:31
I live in Vrå... Not that far away...

Gandolfi pm on its way.

Kirk Fry
3-Nov-2012, 21:10
The 360 apo ronar is likely an f 9.0. If it was me I would sell the 360 mm ronar and get a 300mm of some sort (Nikon 300M) and buy the 210 mm. I have used the 210mm for about half my shots. K

Len Middleton
4-Nov-2012, 04:54
The 360 apo ronar is likely an f 9.0. If it was me I would sell the 360 mm ronar and get a 300mm of some sort (Nikon 300M) and buy the 210 mm. I have used the 210mm for about half my shots. K

Kirk,

Not personally familiar with the Nikkor 300M, but I would expect that the 360 Apo-Ronar in a shutter would be a very compact lens, and thus likely to get packed. I have a 355 f9 Repro-Claron and a 305 f9 G-Claron. The 355 will fold up with my Deardorff and thus I have it with me pretty much all the time with my 8x10 kit. The 305 is often left behind.

Just another consideration, after all the best lens is the one you have with you...

Like Kirk, on 4x5,the 210 is probably my most commonly used lens, but then that is me, YMMV...

Bill, 70's military B&W
4-Nov-2012, 04:59
Rick,
I like your logic, and your practical and objective approach.

Lundsgaard
6-Nov-2012, 10:23
the 360 mm apo ronar is app 2½" long by 3" on the shutter. pretty compact i think.
I am letting a few more days pass, before dealing with the guy, and if we can agree on a fair price i take all. As i said earlier, i want it all, but obviously only keeping what i realy need after a good trial.

Steven Tribe
6-Nov-2012, 12:13
but obviously only keeping what i realy need after a good trial.

Wish I could say that!

Per Madsen
6-Nov-2012, 13:23
I live in Copenhagen, so it not that near to Jutland.

Lundsgaard
9-Nov-2012, 07:39
steven, you are quite right, ask my whife what i "need", then ask me!
per, well, Denmark is small but great !
klaus