PDA

View Full Version : From "rail" to field"...............

Chuck P.
1-Nov-2012, 04:44
From "rail" to "field".........

I'm looking to switch from my Horseman monorail to a field camera. I have only two lenses, a Rodenstock 210 and a Nikon 120SW, the Nikon has a very large rear element (total diameter is 3 1/8 inches)....is there a concern with the Nikon lens as to what field camera will be able to accomodate it i.e., with regard to the opening in the front standard that the rear element will need to fit through? I'm trying to get an idea of what field cameras not to even consider to kinda speed the search up.

thanks
Chuck

Doremus Scudder
1-Nov-2012, 05:04
There are certainly field cameras that will take that lens. Cameras with larger lensboards (Deardorf, Zone VI, Ebony, Wisner, etc.) should be fine. Many of these, however, are often as bulky and heavy as a lightweight monorail. (I use my Zone VI much less than my smaller folders for longer hikes and never for backpacking).

Many lightweight folders take Technika-style lensboards. You may have problems with these field cameras. Even though the lensboard is a bit wider than the diameter of the rear element, you usually have to tip the lens a bit to mount it, and the large rear element will likely get in the way with Wistas, Woodman cameras, etc. You may also want to avoid the smaller lighter folders since the SW 120mm might be a bit heavy for the front standards of many.

A lens like the 120 SW has a lot of coverage, more than most lightweight folders can ever use. If you want to take advantage of that, you need one of the larger, sturdier and more flexible field cameras. I own a Zone VI and, with a bag bellows, you could certainly use the 120 SW to its maximum. I imagine some Ebony models and others will enable you to take full advantage of the lens as well. I'm sure others will add more information regarding this and other brands.

If, however, it is lighter weight and less bulk that have prompted you to move to a field camera, you may wish to get a smaller camera and a lighter lens in the 120-135mm range. Most 135mm plasmats are tiny in comparison to the Nikkor 120. Fuji makes a nice 125mm plasmat as well. Just a thought...

Best,

Doremus

lenser
1-Nov-2012, 05:45
As Doremus points out,, this lens should work without difficulty with the Zone VI which I also happen to use....it is wonderful. What hasn't been mentioned is the fact that if you choose a camera that it physically can't mount to due to the rear group diameter, you can still use it provided that the camera back is removable. All you would have to do is unscrew the rear element group, mount the board with the front set, then remove the camera back and screw in the rear group, then remount the camera back and go to work.

AnselAdamsX
1-Nov-2012, 06:52
I used it on a Wista SP. You do have to be careful when mounting it. Also it will hit the bellows when using a lot of rise.

Chuck P.
1-Nov-2012, 07:22
Thanks all so far............what about the Toyo's, the 45A, 45AX, 45AII? I like the metal construction aspect of these cameras.

Rick Rycroft
1-Nov-2012, 14:53
Not having used the Nikkor 120sw I can't say for sure but I have used the Fuji 105 F8SW, which appears to be a similar size and weight, on my 45AII. The camera was very capable of handling the lens, it just didn't make sense to me to carry the extra weight in a field application. I sold the 105 and use a tiny 120 Apo-Symmar now.

mike rosenlof
1-Nov-2012, 17:29
Possibly to clarify Mr AdamsX comment, the wista SP in a metal folder. A nice one too. The Wista and Toyo are both fine metal folders.

Corran
1-Nov-2012, 22:56
I use a 120SW on my Chamonix often. It's one of my favorite lenses. No problems. It just barely fits though.

mortensen
2-Nov-2012, 04:59
... consider a used Linhof Technikardan 45S as well - although technically speaking not a field camera it folds up just as compact. Twice the weight of a Chamonix/ebony, but it'll give you full movements with your lenses and it has a similar design to the camera you already use.
For me, its the one do-it-all camera and I only work in the field (I couldn't afford an Arca)... And did I mention that the built quality of Linhof is unsurpassed? ;)

mikebarger
2-Nov-2012, 05:10
After switching from a Sinar F to a Zone VI, I'd advise some caution before making the move. I'd at least use one before making the jump.

Chuck P.
2-Nov-2012, 05:47
After switching from a Sinar F to a Zone VI, I'd advise some caution before making the move. I'd at least use one before making the jump.

that's interesting, but could you expand on why you would advise caution?

mortensen
2-Nov-2012, 06:11
that's interesting, but could you expand on why you would advise caution?

... having jumped the other way - from Chamonix to Linhof - I suggest it could be about precision, rigidity and versatility. Once transported and set up, the monorail user is spoiled. Just a thought, though (hence my recommendation of the Technikardan)

mikebarger
2-Nov-2012, 07:21
That's it in a nut shell.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2012, 07:28
A Technikardan is a very competent all-arounder that could probably replace both a field and a studio camera... damn don't make me think about that one! Arca F-Lines are comparable as well.

mortensen
2-Nov-2012, 07:36
forgive me for repeating myself, but the combo of Technikardan 45S and a Technika (IV,V or Master) is hard to beat. All accessories are interchangable, just pick you camera of choice for the given task. You can even use the same bag!
... hence, I rarely look in this section of the forum anymore ;)

Chuck P.
2-Nov-2012, 16:26
Can't argue against them, but the linhofs are pretty dam expensive cameras, it's not a realistic option for me. Nothing availabe even on ebay, that I can find anyway.

Chuck P.
2-Nov-2012, 16:34
... having jumped the other way - from Chamonix to Linhof - I suggest it could be about precision, rigidity and versatility. Once transported and set up, the monorail user is spoiled. Just a thought, though (hence my recommendation of the Technikardan)

The two big pluses with my HorsemanLE is it's sturdiness, it's very solid and firm; and, it's very precise when everything is locked down. The big drag is bulk, kind of getting tired of it. No, that's not accurate...........I'm getting really tired of it.

I think I like the Toyo's so far in terms of availability and cost, at least that is how I am leaning at this time.

AnselAdamsX
2-Nov-2012, 17:02
My gas journey has been:
Cambo SC monorail
Wista SP metal folder (wouldn't handle ultra wide angles well)
Sinar F monorail (only a little bit heavier and great for ultra wides but bulkier. I could backpack it fully assembled)
Toyo VX125 monorail (same weight as wista, more compact than Sinar, more backpack friendly, some Geared movements)
I also have a Chaminox 5x7 wooden folder (lighter than the toyo 4x5, surprisingly rigid for its weight, don't like it at long extensions)
An Arca Swiss 4x5+5x7 would be my holy grail.

Chris

Ken Lee
2-Nov-2012, 17:34
Get a field camera first, and then decide if you want to sell the monorail.

Having both at your disposal is an attractive option.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2012, 17:35
One nice thing about the Technika and Wista folders is that you can close them with a normal 135-150 Symmar-type lens mounted, so you can open them and be ready to shoot right away. To me this is a real boon over the Toyo/Chamonix/Wisner, Tachi, etc. folders that require you to add the bulk of carrying a lens separately.

I think a Wista VX or SP will be in the same range as a clean Toyo Field, $600 to $800, and they are good solid cameras. A good older Technika IV might only cost $6-700 but you'd have to allow for a new bellows with a 50-year old camera, and a new OEM bellows is over $300. I did a cheap Technika IV with a $100 Chinese bellows once and it worked fine, was a good user. A Technika will be the most rigid and longest of all the folders.

A Technikardan will cost at least a grand, as will an older 171mm Arca F-line. But if you find an Arca Discovery they are often bargains and not giving up much from the normal F-Classic.

Horseman and Sinar share bellows and lensboards but a Sinar F, F2, or Norma will be much lighter and more compact than a Horseman. Not ultralight or super compact, but significantly better for about the same value, which is kind of low these days, making them great bargains as long as you don't have to resell them.

Alan Gales
2-Nov-2012, 18:04

+1

Richard Rau
2-Nov-2012, 18:27
I use the 120SW on my Canham 5x7 Wood field which uses Canham 4.3 or Toyo lens boards. It's a tight fit to get the round peg in the square hole, but it definitely fits, and it is one of my favorite lenses to use with 5x7 and 8x10! I backpack with the Canham and the 120 all the time with usually 3 other lenses with no problem.

andreios
2-Nov-2012, 23:09
I am always lusting for a compact and easily backpackable field camera, but I wouldn't sell my Sinar Norma in any case. It is just so nice and absolutely natural to work with..

Chuck P.
3-Nov-2012, 05:29

looks like it will turn out that way anyway------there is no interest in my HorsemanLE rail....a little while back I advertised both here and APUG and, nothing.

I was wondering from the Toyo enthusiasts out there............what are the differences between the 45A and the newer 45AX?

mikebarger
3-Nov-2012, 05:34
I'm watching for a decent Sinar, they seem to be going cheap on the bay. I still have a ton of accessories for one, just never got around to selling them.

JosephBurke
3-Nov-2012, 07:35
I used to have a Deardorff V-5, as well as a V-8. A V-11 too, but still have that one. But my desire for a more rigid metal folder led me, over time, to a Linhof MT. Wow, no comparison.....I just love the rigidity and of course the vast amount of accessories. Then I stumbled on one of the older Kardan Color 4x5s (not sure exactly which model without getting it out) for a song. So I have, in 4x5, both the metal folder Master Technika and a Linhof monorail that shares many of the accessories (like the 4 way reflex viewer in particular). I am well pleased with this combination. In 8x10 I have a Toyo 8x10 M II... love it! So, rigidity is my preference and the mentioned Linhof and Toyo models fit the bill quite well.
No regrets in my choices--ever!
--Joe Burke

Chuck P.
3-Nov-2012, 08:16
WTF..................http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyo-Field-45A-Nikkor-W-lens-150mm-1-5-6-Nikkor-W-lens-210mm-1-5-6-EXC-/300808173857?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item4609907921

Somebody sure likes their Toyo.

andreios
3-Nov-2012, 09:09
WTF..................http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyo-Field-45A-Nikkor-W-lens-150mm-1-5-6-Nikkor-W-lens-210mm-1-5-6-EXC-/300808173857?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item4609907921

Or forgot to convert danish kroner to US dollars? :)

gliderbee
3-Nov-2012, 11:12

Over here, we use a "," as decimal point and "." before every three numbers. Maybe a mistake there?

Stefan

Alan Gales
3-Nov-2012, 11:19

Maybe his wife told him to sell it, "Honey, I tried to sell the Toyo but no one wanted to buy it!". ;)