PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Wisner Traditional 4x5

MIke Sherck
21-Mar-2004, 19:26
I've taken delivery of a new Wiser Traditional-S 4x5 and have a couple of questions which I'm hoping experienced Wisner users can help with. First, the locking tabs holding the ground glass back to the rear standard don't slide closed all the way, over the locking pins, they go about half way. Is this just because it's new, or is an adjustment required? Second, the front swing movements are rather rough, not smooth at all. Is this normal for this camera?

Finally, how does one pronounce "Wisner"? "Weesner" or "Wisner" with a long 'i', or what? Kind of embarrassing when someone asks what kind of a camera you have and you don't know what to say. :)

Thanks!

Mike

Henry Friedman
21-Mar-2004, 19:33
I can't comment on your first question, but can tell you not to worry about the second. You need only say 'no' when asked "Is that a Hasselblad?".

wfwhitaker
21-Mar-2004, 19:35
The "i" is short, as in "winter".

Without meaning to be rude, why don't you call the Wisner company and direct your questions to Ron? No one knows the answer better. And if adjustments need to be made, then you're already on the line.

Gem Singer
21-Mar-2004, 20:12
Hi Mike,

What you describe sounds pretty normal for a new Wizz--ner 4X5 Traditional-S. The locking tabs don't need to slide all the way. As long as they hold the back on tightly, nothing to worry about. A little drop of light oil usually helps smooth out the rough front swings. If that doesn't work, call Ron.

Paul Moshay
21-Mar-2004, 22:09
On my Wisner TF 4x5 the locks are tapered so they will lock snugly and keep tightning as they wear in over many years. Not to worry. Paul

MIke Sherck
22-Mar-2004, 06:07
Hot diggity, everyone: thanks! Of course, now that I have the new camera the forecast is for rain for the foreseeable future. My fault, sorry... :)

Mike

Brian Vuillemenot
22-Mar-2004, 12:03
Rain is good for photography- lots of beautiful clouds and dramatic skies!

Tracy Storer
23-Mar-2004, 07:33
Hi Mike, on the front swing....sometimes with Wisners' design you get a rough move if you've "over-loosened" the swing locks. (the bolts slop around) Play with the camera a little more and call Ron with any questions. Best, Tracy

Tom Johnston
25-Mar-2004, 10:40
It is pronounced whiz-ner. I confirmed that with Ron Wisner himself.

I have a 4x5" Technical Field - actually, it's the second one that I have had. Despite Ron Wisner's claims of such a high level of quality control, the first one I received was a basket case. It was so bad, in fact, that it had to be replaced, not repaired, so I would not be surprised if your camera has some defects. If it not something that you feel comfortable fixing or adjusting, send it back.

Just to give you an idea of some of the defects that can get through Wisner's "great" quality control system, the following are some of the defects that my first camera had at delivery. I am probably forgetting some other defects that it had. (Don't get me wrong...I really like my Wisner camera, but Ron is one for hyping things a bit.)

* There was a huge hunk of wood gouged out of the bottom. It was at least 1/4" deep and 1" long and it happened after the finish was put on. It's as if someone took a big carving gouge and just cut a big chunk out of the wood.

* The bubble levels were off by at least 6 degrees, which is a lot. When the bubbles indicated level, the camera was on a big angle - in both directions! Both levels were off and they are not adjustable. They are embedded in epoxy or something and whoever put them in just shoved them in without adjusting them. The epoxy hardened and that was that. I would suggest that you check the levels on your camera for accuracy if you haven't already done so.

* One latch spring (that holds the camera closed) was on an angle. Not only would it not latch on the post, but it looked terrible. The camera could not be latched closed! How could they miss that?

* The zero rise indicator dots on the front standards were missing.

* One front standard and both of the latch springs had never been finished. They turned black almost immediately.

* Not one of the three lens boards that I received with the camera would fit on the camera. They are supposed to be 4". They were all 4 1/8". Even worse, the rabbit is obviously cut using the outside edge as a reference so those were wrong too so that, even after shaving the boards to correct size, they still wouldn't fit until the rabbits were cut back. When I contacted Ron about this, he said that I should just cut or sand the boards to size!!! He didn't even offer to replace them. He then blamed humidity for making them swell despite the fact that his advertising claims that the wood used in his cameras has an ideal moisture content so that swelling or shrinkage would not affect camera operation of fit of parts. Unfortunately for Ron, I am an accomplished woodworker myself and his excuse is simply not true. He just made the boards the wrong size. It's as simple as that. Three out of three were unusable! No excuse for that. Rather than deal with him anymore, I cut them down but someone should not have to cut down their new boards.

How this stuff got through Ron's claimed careful inspection is beyond me.

Ron took his merry time replacing the camera too.

But I am happy with the second camera that I finally received.

Tom