PDA

View Full Version : silly question about using a developing tank

Frank_E
31-Oct-2012, 10:34
hopefully the forum will tolerate one non LF question about developing…

I occasionally also do medium format film work
and am currently in a situation away from home where I have access to some different equipment than I normally use
the developing tank I normally use to is a Patterson tank which has an orange cap that you put on to keep it water tight
when you invert the tank to agitate the film

regarding my question: how do you use a black plastic ansco tank that doesn't have a cap?

to further describe the tank, it is a black plastic tank with plastic reel that can be adjusted for 35mm or MF
the tank has a hole in the top for a thermometer
on the bottom is marked:

F-698
Ansco Birminham NY
Made in the USA

when you fill the tank and tip it sideways the fluids spill out the side of the tank
so how on earth does one invert the tank or agitate aggressively without spilling the fluids
is there an obvious trick I am not seeing?

thanks for your help
Frank

Leigh
31-Oct-2012, 10:39
The thermometer had a knurled shaft at the top about 1/2 inch long. You turned that to rotate the film reel for agitation.

If the thermometer is gone you'll need to jury-rig something to accomplish the same purpose.

- Leigh

Frank_E
31-Oct-2012, 10:47
there appear to be no thermometers here
so what I here you saying is that you simply leave the tank flat (right side up obviously)
and rotate the reel inside the tank
that's logical….
thanks

Leigh
31-Oct-2012, 11:10
so what I here you saying is that you simply leave the tank flat (right side up obviously)
and rotate the reel inside the tank
Yep, that's correct.

I gave it a gentle spin and let it come to rest, then repeat immediately in the other direction. Let it stand for 30 seconds and repeat.

- Leigh

Frank_E
31-Oct-2012, 11:13
thanks for your help
should not be hard to make an appropriate dowel to fit into the hole where the thermometer should go

David Swinnard
31-Oct-2012, 11:59
If you go the Ansco tank route, follow Leigh's advice and do be careful not to over-agitate. Because of the non-random motion of the developer over he film (aways this way, then back that way, then the first way again...) it is possible to get edge to edge (across the width) density (difference) artifacts. (this is especially a problem with 35mm film where the sprocket holes cause increased turbulence relative to the smooth central areas.)

Frank_E
31-Oct-2012, 13:11
thanks for the advice David
just noticed you are in Parksville, I am currently on Gabriola…..
maybe our paths will cross some day