PDA

View Full Version : Switching rails on an Arca Swiss Discovery

NoBob
31-Oct-2012, 05:09
Is it possible to fit an F-Line compact or telescoping rail to a Discovery to replace the Discovery's long rail?

Thanks.

SAShruby
31-Oct-2012, 07:38
Yep, those are interchangeable. Discovery is essentially F-line Arca, focusing knobs are different.

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2012, 08:07
Hey Peter, your website is dead...

NoBob
31-Oct-2012, 15:12
Thanks Peter.

SAShruby
31-Oct-2012, 15:55
Hey Peter, your website is dead...

Website yes but domain is valid. One day...

Thanks Peter.
You're welcome.

Darren H
3-Nov-2012, 14:08
Like Peter said, the Discovery is basically an F-Line with different knobs.

I have one and find the modular nature of it to be one of the huge plusses of the Arca-Swiss system.

You can see many images of the camera on my blog linked in my signature line.

r.e.
3-Nov-2012, 15:47
I own an F-line 8x10 and a Discovery 4x5. As others have said, the rails are interchangeable. The carriers are also interchangeable, but they are different in design and the difference goes beyond the knobs.

On a Discovery, one carrier is not geared (it moves via friction) and both carriers hold a standard in place via a screw rather than a clamp. But for the purpose of the original question, the differences between the F-line and Discovery carriers (Arca-Swiss uses the word "basic" to describe the latter) are immaterial.

I have used F-line and Discovery carriers on the same rail, either because I need three carriers to connect two bellows, or because it is convenient to use a friction and frictionless carrier together, and it all works fine.

NoBob
4-Nov-2012, 00:31
Thanks Darren, thanks r.e.

Emmanuel BIGLER
5-Nov-2012, 06:04
Hello from France !
If your rail is a "modern" type-II with the central circular hole (most probably for an Arca Swiss Discovery it should be a type -II, but one never knows what the previous owner has done), then you can add in front of your fixed discovery rail an additional extension rail.
This extension rail is held by a brass clamp with 4 jaws, and attaches to the central tube
If I remember well those extension rails exist in legths of 15 cm (6 ") and 25 cm (10")