PDA

View Full Version : Larger than an 8x10

Pfiltz
31-Oct-2012, 04:24
OK, so I'm new to LF photography, and decided to get a darkroom setup since I have the space, and am addicted to this stuff.

I bought a 8x10 contact printer, and hope to have it soon. I've been using a piece of picture frame glass to create contact prints from my 4x5 negs, and have been experimenting with exposures and development times.

I bought an Omega D-2 enlarger last week, and I have a fellow that is giving me some darkroom equipment that he no longer uses, such as easel, trays, timers, paper safe, safe light,etc.. Right now we're working on getting the room inside the studio light tight.

Question is if I want to print lets say print an 11x14 do I have to find a 11x14 easel? On another note, can my Omega enlarge to anything larger than 11x14 if I dare to go larger?

Thanks for any info you can share.

vinny
31-Oct-2012, 06:03
having something to hold the paper flat is nice if you want the image to be sharp from edge to edge. Get a 16x20 easel or make one yourself. The omega d-2 will make larger prints if you have the appropriate lens for the format you are printing.

Pfiltz
31-Oct-2012, 06:11
Thanks Vinny. I may see if I can make something first.

BTW, couldn't I use a piece of glass as well?

vinny
31-Oct-2012, 06:31
Thanks Vinny. I may see if I can make something first.

BTW, couldn't I use a piece of glass as well?

how are you going to position it in the same place every time?
I wouldn't. there could also be issues since you're projecting the image through the glass onto the paper, unlike a contact print.

Pfiltz
31-Oct-2012, 06:32
Alrighty... I see what your talking about.

John Kasaian
31-Oct-2012, 06:42
A piece of flat steel would be better. Hold down the paper with magnets.
Or,
keep an eye open for a four bladed easel---pricey when new but I got mine dirt cheap when a local lab when digi.
For smaller size papers I really like those old wood Leitz easels.

Vaughn
31-Oct-2012, 07:26
An easel is better for enlarging than glass...there is two more surfaces that can have dust on them.

Speed Easels will be cheaper than bladed easels and work fine. The magnet idea is also a good one, though not as quickly set-up as a Speed Easel or bladed easel.

ROL
31-Oct-2012, 08:28
Question is if I want to print lets say print an 11x14 do I have to find a 11x14 easel? On another note, can my Omega enlarge to anything larger than 11x14 if I dare to go larger?

An adjustable bladed easel large enough to accommodate all your paper sizes is the ticket, if an expensive one. Cheaply, you can enlarge with the paper resting directly upon the Omega's baseboard (if it has one), or a counter top, or go buy some melamine board at the hardware store, etc. You can then cut mat board to any size to lay upon the paper, framing it to desired dimensions, and weighting the periphery. Speed Eazels are fairly commonly available in many sizes and relatively inexpensive. Any enlarger capable of handling a 4x5 negative should be able to enlarge to any size you could legitimately conceive of, if aligned and installed adequately, possibly wall mounted (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/a-darkroom-portrait#enlarger) without its baseboard. Oh, do dare to go larger. I double dog dare you.

Len Middleton
31-Oct-2012, 09:19
Pflitz,

Further to ROL's comments, the formula for calculating Magnification is:

M = (v-F)/F, where M is magnification, v is lens to baseboard distance (where the paper is located), and F is focal length.

So all you need to do is move the paper far away from the negative stage with as short a lens that you can get to cover the format, while using a light source bright enough to keep the exposures to a reasonable time (e.g. issues with vibration during long exposures, etc.).

Typical tactics when limited by the column, are floor projection (e.g. wall mount) or wall projection (e.g. front silvered mirror or swing the head assembly).

Not unlike the scenario of a camera approaching infinity focus, with the exception of the light source...

Hope that provides a simplified perspective,

Len

Pfiltz
31-Oct-2012, 10:13
Appreciate it folks...

Still working on the darkroom, and hoping to get it functional sometime next week. I'm sure 5x7's and 8x10's will suffice, but I like larger prints than 8x10's. My studio is filled with 16x20's and 20x24's. Not sure I'll shoot anything with my 4x5 that would push me to print that large, but one can dream :)

BTW, my enlarger does have a baseboard attached to it. I have no problem attaching it the wall in the darkroom either. My father in law can help me with making sure everything is in level, since he used to be a brick layer. To him, everything has to be within tolerances ;)