PDA

View Full Version : Mottled fogging, bugs underneath glass? V750

Sylvester Graham
30-Oct-2012, 16:22
Hello,

I recently purchased a used V750 from a forum member. When it arrived I noticed a bit of fogging on the lower glass. I checked the forum and found a thread on just such a thing. Someone mentioned it was a common problem and that it's harmless.

I scanned a few reflective and transmissive pics and was happy. But lately I've been scanning some tintypes that have large swaths of featureless black, and have noticed a troubling pattern. There seems to be a haze that is mottled with black spots over the entire glass. Furthermore, there are little trails here and there running through this haze. What these trails could be, I'm not sure, but they do remind me of the trails that snails make on a pond's bottom.

How do I know the problem is with the scanner and not the images? When I position plates on the bottom right hand corner of the glass, the same pattern shows up again and again on every scanned image. A little curlicue trail. I also tried scanning the plate in a different location on the glass, but found another, separate trail running through that part of the glass as well, in addition to the mottling.

I have posted examples from a recent tintype. And would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

vinny
30-Oct-2012, 16:26
time to dismantle it and get out the Windex. Mine has the haze as well.

Kirk Gittings
30-Oct-2012, 16:39
Easy enough to clean. As a multi generational Epson scanner owner (since the 3200), outgassing fog and necessary cleaning is commonplace. The 750 and 700 are better than earlier versions.

Find a relatively dust free environment-the hardest part-I just crank up my air filter in my darkroom for a couple of days and limit any infringing air sources. Otherwise it will drive you crazy trying to get every last speck of dust out.

If I remember right this is the procedure:

Remove the power cable and the cable to the lid.
Remove the lid - open it and lift it up and off.
Notice there are 4 screws with little plugs over them.
A very sharp little screwdriver or pairing knife can pry up the plugs revealing the screws.
Then a small Phillips head screwdriver for the 4 screws.
Be aware there is a small catch in the front of the frame. The top of the scanner now easily lifts off.
The underside of the glass is now easy to get to and to clean. Handle with great care!
Use 100% ethanol (preferably) and new soft cotton cleaning cloth (if possible) or with a cleaner that leaves NO residue-NOT Windex-followed by a good polish with a true lens cloth and a blast from canned air.

Start to reassemble but don't put the screws in until you have thoroughly inspected the glass in place for dust or smears. I hate to get it all reassembled only to find something I missed.

Frank Petronio
30-Oct-2012, 16:56
I thought it didn't matter until I cleaned mine - big difference. That it does this at all is a huge gaffe on Epson's part but they have a lock on the market - their competitors were worse!

Sylvester Graham
30-Oct-2012, 17:18
Alright. Looks like I'm going to have to take er apart.

Kirk, I've got 95% ethanol/everclear. Is that what you meant? I remember hearing 100% ethanol is expensive and you might even need a license for it.

Heroique
30-Oct-2012, 17:32
Furthermore, there are little trails here and there running through this haze. What these trails could be, I’m not sure, but they do remind me of the trails that snails make on a pond's bottom.

Hmm. You might consider placing a mouse trap or a roach motel inside the scanner before you put it back together. Maybe toss in a mothball or two. Be sure everything stays out of the way of the moving parts, and you should be good to go. ;^)

Kirk Gittings
30-Oct-2012, 18:02
Somebody with a chemistry background would be better to advise you.

Alright. Looks like I'm going to have to take er apart.

Kirk, I've got 95% ethanol/everclear. Is that what you meant? I remember hearing 100% ethanol is expensive and you might even need a license for it.

Frank Petronio
30-Oct-2012, 18:16
Even a half-assed cleaning like I do (Ammonia based glass cleaner and Kim Wipes) will be a marked improvement. Clean room cleanliness is great but 98% clean is still way better than what you got now.

Chuck S.
31-Oct-2012, 01:03
Read somewhere that you can pull up the little screw cover plugs with duct or Gorilla tape without marking them. Might come in especially handy if someone has a scanner still under warranty.

jon.oman
31-Oct-2012, 12:06
I've been reminded that I need to do this as well.........

sanking
31-Oct-2012, 19:19
For occasional cleaning Everclear or any good household glass cleaner should work fine. However, if you have other graphic arts type equipment that needs frequent cleaning I would recommend a product called Sprayway. You can buy it at places like Advanced Auto, Ace Hardware, etc.

/www.spraywayinc.com/products.php?id=040

Sandy

Ari
31-Oct-2012, 20:51
I used Windex and it worked perfectly; a huge improvement.

Doug Fisher
1-Nov-2012, 12:54
Clean and wipe down your largest bathroom (the one with the largest amount of counter space) very well. When done, run a hot steamy shower so that the fog takes all the flying dust out of the air. Exit quickly and leave the bathroom closed up for an hour or so while it cools back down to normal. Enter the bathroom quickly with your scanner plus tools and shut the door. Start working. You should have a nice temporary "clean room" with minimal dust in the air.

Doug

Sylvester Graham
27-Dec-2012, 15:02
Hello, I just want to resurrect this for a moment to see if anyone has any other pointers.

I've taken the scanner apart and cleaned it with Sprayway glass cleaner, wiping down with paper towels. The fogging has improved somewhat but the mottled spots remain--very faint but clearly there--it's almost as if they're etched into the glass or something. Also, whatever adhesive that is holding the glass to the bottom of the scanner frame was yellowed and peeling back in places when I removed the top to take a look.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Brian C. Miller
27-Dec-2012, 16:26
How about glass polish? There are polishes for plastics, and I just did a web search and there's multiple products for polishing glass, too. (I wouldn't use any polish, no matter how mild, without testing it on something else first, though) Come to think of it, maybe a little bit of Bon Ami might work. I know that it doesn't affect soft plastic, so it should be good on glass.

Ari
27-Dec-2012, 16:28
I know you can see the spots on the glass, but do they show up in scans?

DrTang
28-Dec-2012, 08:12
is it possible to buy replacement glass? mine has a small scratch in the corner that I can avoid...but it would be easier to just drop a new glass plate in.

Doug Fisher
28-Dec-2012, 09:21
>>but the mottled spots remain<<

In my experience, for mottling you ought to try soaking a paper towel with Lime Away and rubbing the glass down with it for a minute (both sides of the glass). It has to get pretty wet with the Lime Away to work well. Make sure you clean the Lime Away off the glass completely/meticulously!

Personally, I would NOT use Bon Ami.

Doug

Sylvester Graham
28-Dec-2012, 09:57
Doug, have you done this with scanner glass, or are you just speaking about removing mottling from glass in general? I'll try a scan this evening and toss up a pic of the problem