PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Wista lensboard for Linhof MT

lphong
30-Oct-2012, 09:54
Hello, I bought a Rodenstock Grandagon N 90mm F4.5 for a Linhof MT2000. Can this board http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63456-REG/Wista_214517_Lensboard_for_1_Sized.html be used ? Many thanks -- Linh

Noah A
30-Oct-2012, 11:33
Well, it should work, but it probably won't work perfectly.

Wista and other boards that are said to be Technika compatible are theoretically the same kind of boards that will fit your MT2000. However, I've found that many generic boards, including a few brand-new Wista ones I bought a few years ago from B&H, the same as the one you linked to, are a bit tight on my MT2000. They will fit, but barely. It's a tight enough fit that it worries me because I don't want to introduce stress or premature wear on the camera.

I think at some point Linhof tightened up its tolerances and/or changed its machining techniques, making some generic boards and even some older Linhof boards not fit perfectly on newer cameras. My TK45S is the same in terms of what will fit.

So from my experience, the Wista boards are tight but they can work, especially if you're not afraid to sand them down a bit. They are a bit wide, so you just have to remove the finish and maybe a bit of metal on the side edges of the board. The cheapo chinese boards sometimes fit, sometimes loosely since they're often a bit thin.

And the recent Linhof genuine boards, if you can swallow the cost, are well-made and fit perfectly.

lphong
30-Oct-2012, 17:50
Many thanks Noah

Brian Ellis
31-Oct-2012, 06:03
I don't know about that exact board but I used a Wista lens board with two Linhof Technika cameras, a Tech V and a Master. It worked fine. I didn't have to sand mine or do anything else to it to make it fit.

Noah A
31-Oct-2012, 07:12
From my (limited) experience it seems to be an issue with newer cameras. My MT2000 and late TK45S don't work well with the Wista boards or even older Linhof boards. The Tech IV I had for a few days did work with those boards.

Ari
31-Oct-2012, 11:30
From my (limited) experience it seems to be an issue with newer cameras. My MT2000 and late TK45S don't work well with the Wista boards or even older Linhof boards. The Tech IV I had for a few days did work with those boards.

Even my older TK45 has trouble (albeit very little) with Wista or Chinese Technika boards.
They can be made to fit, quite easily; I find the cost of original lensboards a tad prohibitive.

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2012, 11:44
Yes, and yes - Linhof greatly tightened the tolerances when they went to CNC milling equipment.
Older Linhof boards and third party boards may not fit. To make them fit you only have to take a butter knife and run it down the long sides of the board to remove a layer or two of paint. Then the board should fit. If it still doesn't after doing this then you need a new board.