PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tanks for 5x7?

jedrzej66
30-Oct-2012, 01:20
Hi - it's my first post here :)
I woul'd like to buy a tank for developing 5x7 sheets. I'm thinking about jobo 3006 or Paterson Orbital. First is very expensive but probably very good and very economic. My knowledge about second one is small. Both of them are very hard to buy in my country.
I much already read about jobos but I'm interesting it from the practicality - the practical side of the use and the convenience of the work. If I already buy I would like to be pleased with it...
I apologise for my English...:o

Jiri Vasina
30-Oct-2012, 01:54
Hello jedrzej66 - and welcome here.

To answer you question, I use Jobo 2830 print drum to develop 13x18cm/5x7" sheets of film. It's best used together with a roller base (Unicolor Uniroller in my case). I use just 7ml-8ml of Rodinal in 1:50 dillution to develop 4 sheets of film, and that is quite economical. As for practicality, I am not looking to change my developing routine, it's the best from all that I have tried (tray development, Combiplan tanks for 4x5", steel tank for 3x4"). And the Jobo 2830 tank is not that expensive (I think you can get one for less than US$100).

Hope this helps

Jiri

jedrzej66
30-Oct-2012, 05:32
Thank you Jiri for your answer.
I wachted jobo 2830 (in net, of course) and everywhere it is described as a tank for papers (prints). I don't know how it looks inside - has any spiral or handle...? But, if you are using it succesfully, I belive :).
I think it will be possible to use it without any processor... to roll of it after the table.... And is much, much cheaper then 3006.
Jędrzej

sully75
30-Oct-2012, 06:20
Lately I've been doing 2 5x7s in either or a Chromega or a Unicolor 8x10 print drum. I used to do 4 in 11x14 print drums, but I had a lot of problems with negatives getting loose and finally gave up. The 8x10 drums are pretty reliable currently. Chromega drums are better but a little harder to find. Unicolor drums are fine but sometimes they leak. I ended up throwing out a few of them that leaked badly, they could probably be repaired but I just want stuff I can rely on at this point.

Anyway, 5x7 is hard. You can do 10 4x5s in a Jobo 3010 or 5 5x7s. I have one of those too. But I usually have it jammed up with 4x5s so I do the 5x7s in the 8x10 print drums.

jcoldslabs
30-Oct-2012, 15:20
I use Cibachrome 8x10 drums for 5x7 single sheets. They fit in easily and once the liquid is applied they stick to the side of the drum and don't move at all. Very little chemistry is required, too. Not a good system for high volume processing, but my 5x7 shooting is rather infrequent.

Jonathan

rich caramadre
30-Oct-2012, 18:15
Have you looked at the BTZS tubes. I use them for 8x10 and 5x7. Not expensive and easy to use.

Larry Gebhardt
30-Oct-2012, 18:48
I recommend the 3006 Jobo Expert Drum. I use that and a 3005 on a Jobo. The give the most even development of all the techniques I have tried. In my opinion they are worth the price premium, if you can find one.

Michael Cienfuegos
30-Oct-2012, 19:55
I like the Unicolor 8x10 drum. You can develop two 5x7 or four 4x5 sheets. I had two drums, but one didn't survive a drop test, had a big crack in the base so I had to toss it. They work fine. I too had an 11x14 drum, had the same problems as the previous poster. Good luck.

jedrzej66
31-Oct-2012, 04:53
Now I am in a fix :confused:
Everyone has own experience.
Larry - I know that 3006 may be the best option but is extremely expensive.
After all I but will probably buy JOBO 2830
I'm thanking everyone for help :)

Jiri Vasina
31-Oct-2012, 05:08
Jedrzej, if you are buying the Jobo 2830, make sure these clips (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82173&d=1350453647)(as shown in the following thread "What parts are these? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95994-What-parts-are-these)") are included. They are used to secure film sheets so they do not overlap during development... and do read all the posts in that thread, might contain some valuable info...

Jiri

Larry Gebhardt
31-Oct-2012, 05:24
Larry - I know that 3006 may be the best option but is extremely expensive.

I agree, it's expensive. But if you factor in what your time is worth it may be worth the expense. In the time I can do 2 sheets in the 8x10 unicolor or Jobo print drums you can do 6 sheets in the 3006. I tried the print drum first, and found it was way too slow. But I didn't have the clips that Jiri mentioned (or know they existed), so I couldn't do more than 2 sheets, even with the larger drums because of overlapping film issues.

Another option is the BZTS tubes. I made a set for 4x5 and they worked well. I stopped using them when I got a 3010 drum with the Jobo I bought. With that you can fit a lot of tubes in a large tray. You should be able to make a set out of 2" gray PVC conduit for not much money. I think I use 1.5" conduit for the 4x5 tubes.

Graybeard
31-Oct-2012, 09:39
Hi - it's my first post here :)
I woul'd like to buy a tank for developing 5x7 sheets. I'm thinking about jobo 3006 or Paterson Orbital. First is very expensive but probably very good and very economic. My knowledge about second one is small. Both of them are very hard to buy in my country.
I much already read about jobos but I'm interesting it from the practicality - the practical side of the use and the convenience of the work. If I already buy I would like to be pleased with it...
I apologise for my English...:o

If you have a darkroom, you might consider hangers with plastic food containers as tanks.

Jiri Vasina
31-Oct-2012, 10:40
... I tried the print drum first, and found it was way too slow. But I didn't have the clips that Jiri mentioned (or know they existed), so I couldn't do more than 2 sheets, even with the larger drums because of overlapping film issues....

I have found the hard way that the clips are a must...

Jiri

jedrzej66
2-Nov-2012, 00:32
Jiri, you know whether that NEW drum has attached clips? I asked a one seller whether he is selling a drum (new one) and I,m waiting for his answer.
Larry, I agree with you but I'm from Poland and here it's impossible to buy 3006. En ebay is a few but from US. Drum is expensive, shipping is expensive (3006 is fairly good fat person :D ), customs and other payments that's all causes that the purchase of this developing tank is becoming unprofitable :(

Jiri Vasina
2-Nov-2012, 00:49
Jedrzej, I have no idea, because I bought a used one which fortunately included the clips. At the time of my purchase I did not know about the clips and that they are really important...

I have tried looking at the auctions on eBay: it would seem that the print drums do not contain the clips. But if you search for "Jobo clip" there are several results and you can choose one of them...

Jiri

jedrzej66
2-Nov-2012, 00:57
Ok, Jiri.
I found these auctions earlier (whith clips) but I'm waiting for answer from seller. Maybe clips are included...
And tell me please, whether the ones are so as your and whether they will fit to 2830: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/New-6-Piece-JOBO-PRINT-CLIPS-95518-for-the-Jobo-Stock-811-/280852907695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41642346af

Jiri Vasina
2-Nov-2012, 01:13
Yes, they look similar to the ones I have...

sully75
5-Nov-2012, 08:17
3010 is better than 3006 to me, you can do 10(!!!!!!!) 4x5 or 5 5x7. If you shoot 4x5 too it's much better.

I use the 3010 and a few 8x10 print drums. 4x5 usually ends up in the 3010 but its good for 4x5 although not advertised as such.

jedrzej66
15-Nov-2012, 00:39
sully75 I'm surprised! I could buy 3010 one but everywhere they are writing, that is used exclusively for developing 4x5 negatives. Are you sure that it is possible there to press 5x7 ? It will be very good message for me (if not yet was sold).

sully75
15-Nov-2012, 05:16
It works for me. It's off label usage but I had the same question. Others can probably confirm.

jedrzej66
15-Nov-2012, 05:45
sully75, thank you very much for confirming this information. :)

saturnus
20-Nov-2012, 08:48
hello.
I use handmade 5x7" tank.
2 or 4 sheet list.

Sal Santamaura
20-Nov-2012, 10:13
hello.
I use handmade 5x7" tank.
2 or 4 sheet list...Very interesting! Did you make it yourself? When processing 4 sheets, do you place them as back-to-back pairs in those slots? What volume of liquid does it take to fill the tank? What agitation scheme do you use and how even are your results?

Thanks very much in advance for answering.

saturnus
20-Nov-2012, 11:01
Very interesting! Did you make it yourself? When processing 4 sheets, do you place them as back-to-back pairs in those slots? What volume of liquid does it take to fill the tank? What agitation scheme do you use and how even are your results?

Thanks very much in advance for answering.

yes.
4 sheets back to back.
volume 550ml.
Agitation turn over up and down.
Resultat:

Sal Santamaura
20-Nov-2012, 11:16
yes.
4 sheets back to back.
volume 550ml.
Agitation turn over up and down.
Resultat:...Thank you again. At your convenience, it would be great if you could elaborate on materials, dimensions and construction techniques.

I'm very surprised and impressed that there are no regions of lower density (on the negatives) along the film's long edges, despite what appears to be substantial area where they sit inside those slots. Good work indeed!

sully75
20-Nov-2012, 23:03
yeah also is that wood? I've been told wood is tough because it will absorb chemicals. Looks great though.

Paul

Robert Langham
21-Nov-2012, 06:30
What an amazing piece of equipment! I'm still using trays for film in a darkroom but scratch one now and then with a corner. You can correct it in digital but hardly ever when enlarging on paper. What a piece of gear that is! Always a treat to see something new!

84047 WWII Coast Guard photo of Killer Joe Piro dancing in a club in Hew Jersey in 1942. Ebay.

Noah B
24-Nov-2012, 08:23
+1 on the JOBO for me. I recentlyadj made the plunge and bought a 3006 tank for my 5x7 camera. The upfront cost is pretty high, but the quality of the product itself and the negatives are well worth it. Developing time is a little shorter, which can be good and bad. The upside is you can develop in the light and you can opt for a motor base so you can sit back and relax while your film develops. I got a manual roller base and all of my negatives are turning out terrific.

domaz
30-Nov-2012, 15:14
I use a Jobo 2830 (or something similar) print drum for 5x7. You don't even need the clips- just put some strategically located waterproof tape on the ribs. The tape is enough to keep the sheets from sliding on top of one another in my experience. The clips look nice though and looking at this auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Six-pack-of-JOBO-PRINT-CLIPS-for-print-Drums-95522-/281031537086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416ec8f1be) could probably be made by cutting up some PVC or plastic around the house.

jedrzej66
2-Dec-2012, 23:49
domaz Clips are already flying to me from the Republic of South Africa:)
I think that before holidays I will develop the first negatives...