PDA

View Full Version : any good tripods?

XitzpatX
29-Oct-2012, 21:15
ok so i'm looking for a good sturdy tripod for my burke&James press camera. I have a budget of $250, i am gonna be using it for mainly landscapes so its gotta be stiff and not easily moved by wind. any suggestions, Thanks

C. D. Keth
29-Oct-2012, 21:25
This one (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96314-FS-Gitzo-G1212-tripod) is in the classifieds. Put a plain old pan-tilt head or a 410 geared head on it and you're in business.

Leigh
29-Oct-2012, 22:29
Majestic. Built like a tank. Put a 20x24 studio camera on it and it wouldn't even notice.
Pan and tilt head with geared front-back tilt.

I have two of them. Use them to jack my car up for oil changes.

- Leigh

Frank Petronio
29-Oct-2012, 22:35
Used $100 Leitz Tiltalls (lighter) or $200 Majestics, both with heads ~ classic old school tripods.

A used Gitzo 2- or 3- series metal legset is quite nice, although I can't say much good about their heads. I don't like Manfrottos, especially used, they have clever designs but tend to wear out quickly. There are some gems out there though, SLIK made some quality professional tripods along with millions of junky cheap ones. Generally the heads are the weak spot and as you go along, you get pickier and don't like having to crank so hard to get them to hold. The better ones lock with just finger tightness.

Boinzo
29-Oct-2012, 22:46
If it is for landscapes then a lot depends on how much hiking you plan to do and whether that's your style. It's always a compromise between the weight on your back and how far you can walk - or what else you have to leave behind. I use a Gitzo Mountaineer. Crazy light - maybe too flimsy for some. But it weighs in at just on 1Kg with a Gitzo ball-head on it and I love it.

C. D. Keth
29-Oct-2012, 23:42
If it is for landscapes then a lot depends on how much hiking you plan to do and whether that's your style. It's always a compromise between the weight on your back and how far you can walk - or what else you have to leave behind. I use a Gitzo Mountaineer. Crazy light - maybe too flimsy for some. But it weighs in at just on 1Kg with a Gitzo ball-head on it and I love it.

I keep a light CF tripod for longer walks, too. I have a little tarp with grommets in each corner that I can set below the tripod, fill with dirt, rocks, or even water and pull it up on a cord so most of the weight is hanging under the center column. It helps a great deal with wind by effectively adding mass to the whole deal but with a total addition of around an ounce of carry weight.

Bill_1856
30-Oct-2012, 00:16
Used Leitz Tiltall, weighs 6 pounds including a Great Pan/Tilt head (built-in). About $100 on ebay. It's the best possible combination of weight, durability, and price.

Jim Jones
30-Oct-2012, 07:41
I'm with Frank and Bill; the original Tiltall will leave you with plenty of money for other necessities. Despite having several other tripods, I've almost always used Tiltall for several decades. Unlike some modern tripods, they last that long!

E. von Hoegh
30-Oct-2012, 07:42
ok so i'm looking for a good sturdy tripod for my burke&James press camera. I have a budget of $250, i am gonna be using it for mainly landscapes so its gotta be stiff and not easily moved by wind. any suggestions, Thanks

Tiltall.

Frank Petronio
30-Oct-2012, 07:46
Especially for a B&J Press camera.

Drew Wiley
30-Oct-2012, 08:27
If you want sturdy cheap, get a fiberglass clad mid-wt wooden survey tripod. Maybe $150
for domestic mfg (avoid Chinese). Repace the 5/8-11 thumbbolt with 3/8-16 and a few other minor tweaks and you're ready to go. No new camera tripod for that kind of price
will be as sturdy, though you might be lucky and find something worthy used.

ROL
30-Oct-2012, 08:35
I keep a light CF tripod for longer walks, too. I have a little tarp with grommets in each corner that I can set below the tripod, fill with dirt, rocks, or even water and pull it up on a cord so most of the weight is hanging under the center column. It helps a great deal with wind by effectively adding mass to the whole deal but with a total addition of around an ounce of carry weight.

Me too – that's what the hook (if present) at the bottom of the column is for. Except I use a very light draw-corded net bag. But mostly, I use the hook to hang my camera or day bag, which doesn't need to be filled with anything to increase its weight.:rolleyes:

Thebes
31-Oct-2012, 09:26
I'm quite happy with my Berlebach.
It dampens vibration well, holds plenty of weight, and is light enough to carry in the field without it become a physical test of my failing endurance.
I'd like to have a Majestic at some point, but I'd never take it more than a hundred feet from a car.

Ari
31-Oct-2012, 11:28
Induro AT413 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html), around $210 new, maybe less if you shop around.
I'm happy to plug it, as it has served me very well for almost two years now.

bobwysiwyg
31-Oct-2012, 13:03
I'm quite happy with my Berlebach.
It dampens vibration well, holds plenty of weight, and is light enough to carry in the field without it become a physical test of my failing endurance.

+1

LaurentB
1-Nov-2012, 04:46
+1

+1 (does it make +2 ?)...

Berlebach with levelling head is great.

George E. Sheils
1-Nov-2012, 13:49
+1 (does it make +2 ?)...

Berlebach with levelling head is great.

+ 1 here aswell !

That makes it +3.

Berlebach is the business. I have the 3032 Report.

Tony Karnezis
2-Nov-2012, 07:20
Another vote for Majestic. I picked mine up off craigslist for roughly half of what you have budgeted.

E. von Hoegh
2-Nov-2012, 07:22
Another vote for Majestic. I picked mine up off craigslist for roughly half of what you have budgeted.

Ummm, yeah. The OP is using a press camera, not an 11x14 Sinar.

Alan Gales
3-Nov-2012, 00:01
I just recently bought a Crown Graphic and am using a Ries J100. Why? Because I already own it.

If I was buying a tripod specifically for my Crown I would buy a Tiltall.

Leszek Vogt
3-Nov-2012, 00:38
I have one of those survey fiber/wood tripods and I would let go of it for about 1/4th your budget. But, you probably will have to pay more for shipping :D. Let me put it this way, I think I could stand on it. Yes they are all about heft. One of these days I'll throw it on the weight scale. The down side is that you couldn't hike with these legs...certainly not far from your vehicle.

Les