PDA

View Full Version : Vintage electronic flash for Speed Graphic

SpeedGraphicMan
29-Oct-2012, 11:46
Hello,

I am thinking about picking up a vintage electronic flash unit to go with my Pacemaker Camera.

Is this an area worth exploring? What would be a good, inexpensive, easy to repair unit to look for?

Please note that I have built a few flash units and modified alot more.
So this is nothing new to me... I just do not want to buy a "pig in a poke".

I am looking right now at a Honeywell 660... Can anyone tell me what the GN at ISO 100 or what the WS for this unit is?

wombat2go
29-Oct-2012, 12:33
Yes I was thinking same thing last weekend for my PaceMaker Speed Graphic
I thought of getting a Speedlite and adapting a modern flash hot foot in (or replace) the reflector, however the Speedlite goes for $65 to $90.
Has it been done before?
Are the 2 pin connectors still obtainable?

I suppose there is no way an electronic flash could be used with the rear shutter- unless it was adapted to burst fire maybe, was this ever done?.

SpeedGraphicMan
29-Oct-2012, 12:51
I suppose there is no way an electronic flash could be used with the rear shutter- unless it was adapted to burst fire maybe, was this ever done?.

Check out Paramount cord for the bipost sync cords
http://www.paramountcords.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1-1S

No, because the rear shutter uses a "scanning slit" that passes across the full 4" of film.
I.E. only a portion of film is exposed at a time.

I have been thinking about applying hi-voltage to a high-intensity led for a max of say 1/60. That might work!

Jody_S
29-Oct-2012, 13:00
I have the one that came with my wedding photog's kit Speed, I've never tried it but I'll have a look at it when I get home. It might have been an early Honeywell.

Sevo
29-Oct-2012, 13:15

Well, there would be continuous short arc light, most notably HMI. I have some luggable battery powered Kobold hand-held HMI's - these are somewhat potato masher style, one even came with a camera rail.

And there have been some short shutter speed compact on-camera flash systems - most prominently by Nikon and Olympus - in the 1990's/2000's. These work by triggering the flash multiple times so that a seamless lattice of exposed slits results. This needs tight electronic body/flash interaction, and reduces the flash output dramatically, so even building something similar will be no option for a Speed with its aperture requirements and total lack of electronic shutter control.

Harold_4074
29-Oct-2012, 14:04
If you really want authentic vintage, I would suggest a Stroboflash IV with the 510 volt dry cell in the case with the shoulder strap. In the mid-1960s, I was a stringer photographer for a newspaper, and learned from a guy who must have been one of the last news photographers to use a Speed Graphic, 4x5 film in holders, and a Stroboflash IV. The flash head was made to slip on to the top of the original Graphic flash handle, the D-cells of which operated the shutter solenoid when the flash head was held out at arm's length and above the camera.

I haven't seen a Stroboflash in decades, and back then I had to make do with a Honeywell hammerhead flash and quick-release bracket. But to this day I almost can't bring myself to make a picture with on-camera flash.

SpeedGraphicMan
30-Oct-2012, 14:54
Well, I just bought a Honeywell Strobonar 660 of of FleaBay.
For $0.99 I figured it would be fun to tinker with anyways!

Harold_4074
30-Oct-2012, 15:19
Neat. I think that the 660 is the auto version of the one that I used (and still have). The ready light on mine eventually failed, and because it is part of the voltage regulating circuitry I was reluctant to replace it with a bulb of unknown characteristics. I hope that yours is fully functional.

If you aren't familiar with these things, please be aware that the old capacitors commonly need to be "re-formed" if they haven't been used for a while, and using the line cord for this will save a lot of battery life. (That's assuming, of course, the the capacitor hasn't dried out and died on you!)

SpeedGraphicMan
30-Oct-2012, 15:48
Does it just use straight 120V AC to reform Cap?
That is what the manual looks like...

Replacing Capacitors is easy-peasy! Plus the modern ones are alot smaller!

Harold_4074
30-Oct-2012, 16:07
That's what I remember. The unit I have was meant to be used with NiCad batteries, and the charger was built in. When plugged into the wall, the batteries just floated on the line, so this was how you would reform the capacitor.

A fresh set of NiCads was only good for a few rolls of film, and Honeywell sold their own brand of "half-C" cells to double the supply voltage and reduce the cycle time. I can tell you that carrying a fresh set in your pocket in order to make it all the way through a basketball game is not a good idea, particularly if your car keys are in there too....please don't ask me how I know this. :(

The only way to check battery capacity is to fire the unit and observe the recycle time. If this would attract too much attention, you can fire the flash with the lens against your pants leg, and enjoy the smell of scorched fabric. Can't say that I recommend this, though, because eventually you will have a "diffusion" lens from all of the burn marks!

SpeedGraphicMan
30-Oct-2012, 16:14
Thanks...

It will be delayed a bit by Storm Sandy :(

The flash operates 6v battery. So I think I am going to eliminate the old batts and use a 6v SLA battery like I do with my Vivitar 285.

Never have to recharge that puppy!