PDA

View Full Version : Holely No. 5 shutter

kirkmacatangay
28-Oct-2012, 18:24
My 3 year old son found my No. 5 Ilex shutter and stuck his finger through the shutter leaves. He broke one of them, shutter will be out of commision for a while. Slightly upset at him, moreso at myself for leaving it where he can get his hands on it.

I know how to fix it, but just need a new leaf.

Any good sources to find a new shutter leaf for a size No. 5?

Kirk

lenser
28-Oct-2012, 18:51
You might try Carol at Flutot's.

kirkmacatangay
28-Oct-2012, 19:31
Hi Lenser
I sent her an email to see if she had any to spare. I am being hopeful that the shutter can be up and running again.
Kirk

lenser
28-Oct-2012, 19:40
There are a lot of other great repair facilities out there, Last week there was another thread referencing repairs so you might try a search to get other names. Carol happens to be my favorite due to extreme quality and simply being one terrific person to deal with. Others you might try are SK Grimes and Camera Wiz. It's a long shot, but you also might try Calumet in Chicago. Ask for Jose in repairs. Back in the 50's,60's and early 70's they used to carry several different Ilex and Caltar lenses that were mounted in Ilex shutters, so it's not completely out of the question that parts might still be available. Jose is definitely the "go to" guy in the repair dept.

kirkmacatangay
28-Oct-2012, 19:44
Thank you again, I still have to call up Calumet for some parts for my Green Monster. They will be called tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Kirk

Tim Deming
28-Oct-2012, 21:24
I've made replacements before from stainless steel shim stock. It has a dark blue color, and can be obtained very thin, but is a bit tricky to work with, especially making small holes

Cheers

Tim

Jody_S
28-Oct-2012, 21:37
My 3 year old son found my No. 5 Ilex shutter and stuck his finger through the shutter leaves. He broke one of them, shutter will be out of commision for a while. Slightly upset at him, moreso at myself for leaving it where he can get his hands on it.

Kirk

Something to look forward to, I guess. The worst I've had to date was a cat peeing on my camera bag. But I do remember what I did to my dad's stuff, when he was brave enough to let me use it.

A larger blade may be cut to size, I hope you find a suitable replacement. Are you sure the damaged blade can't be straightened?

Jim Andrada
28-Oct-2012, 21:51
OT but your comment of doing bad things to your dad's stuff reminded me that when I was 4 or 5 a big block of ice fell off the ice man's truck (yeah - it was a long time ago!) All the kids in the neighborhood wanted to break it up and we didn't have anything to hit it with - until I remembered that my dad had left his bamboo shaft golf clubs in easy reach. worked just great - and I don't think I could sit down for a week or two.

He did continue to let me use his little folding Zeiss Icon though. I still have it and it works just great.

kirkmacatangay
29-Oct-2012, 05:02
Jody,

If the leaf was just bent, i know how to fix it. One of my threads before was on how to straighten warped shutter blades. Alas, broken in two peices. I cannot think a good glue for this. I started the search, i wonder where it will take me.

Kirk

kirkmacatangay
29-Oct-2012, 05:10
Tim,
Not looking to fabricate anything yet. I dont mind doing it, but if i can find the part, all the better. I will keep it in mind. Where did you get the stainless steal shim sheet from?
Kirk

jp
29-Oct-2012, 06:04
There's an electric version of the shutter that might be available inexpensively compared to the normal mechanical version.

Steve Goldstein
29-Oct-2012, 06:14
Where did you get the stainless steal shim sheet from?
Kirk

Try McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

They're the source of anything you could possibly need.

William Whitaker
29-Oct-2012, 06:30
http://packardshutter.com
Why not go to the source? Why are we on page 2 of this thread and no one's mentioned it?

kirkmacatangay
29-Oct-2012, 06:36
Hi Will,

You are thinking of Packard shutters and I was referring to the Ilex Universal No.5 synchro shutter. But thanks for the input.

Kirk

Daniel Stone
29-Oct-2012, 07:40
Try Frank Marshman,

He's got the majority of the Ilex shutter parts/stock from when they went belly up

Contact info here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/104020-frank-marshman-k-camera-wiz-still-business.html

Dan

Tim Deming
29-Oct-2012, 07:43
Try McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

They're the source of anything you could possibly need.

yep!

Tim

kirkmacatangay
29-Oct-2012, 08:18
Thank you Steve, Tim and Daniel.

jp498, I can only see No. 3 electronic shutters so far, but I will keep an eye out for an electronic No.5. Did they make electronic No.5 shutters?

Daniel,

I have just emailed Frank Mashman to see if he has a spare shutter blade he can sell me. Thank you for the heads up.

Kirk

William Whitaker
29-Oct-2012, 09:11
Yep. I was wrong. I don't know why I read "Packard" when it clearly said "Ilex". Sorry about that.
I hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble.

~Will (I swear the light was green, officer...)

Hi Will,

You are thinking of Packard shutters and I was referring to the Ilex Universal No.5 synchro shutter. But thanks for the input.

Kirk

Jody_S
29-Oct-2012, 11:43
Jody,

If the leaf was just bent, i know how to fix it. One of my threads before was on how to straighten warped shutter blades. Alas, broken in two peices. I cannot think a good glue for this. I started the search, i wonder where it will take me.

Kirk

A competent TIG welder can fix that.

kirkmacatangay
8-Dec-2012, 11:55
As an update, Carol from Flutots Camera was able to get me a new shutter blade. Last night I a got into the guts of the shutter, and was able to install the shutter blade. :) All speeds consistently work as well as the B and T settings. I now have a working shutter again. I am relieved, a set of lenses can be used again.

Kirk