PDA

View Full Version : graflex super d

Jörg Gläscher
19-Mar-2004, 02:17
I have a 3 1/4x 4 1/4 Graflex super d. I would like to go for the bigger sice 4x5. Is it possible to fit any kind of adapter . to increase the sice...?

Thank You

Robert A. Zeichner
19-Mar-2004, 05:32
I doubt there is an off the shelf solution. To do this and still retain the reflex viewing function (main feature attraction of this camera) you would have to adapt more than just the back. If, however all you wanted to do was use the camera like a view camera, focusing on the rear groundglass, it might be possible to take an orphan 4x5 graflock back and build a wooded extension shroud that would attach in some way to the rear of the camera. This would be far more work and possibly cost more than just getting a cheap 4x5 press camera. It would also create a big, clumsy camera for making 4x5 negatives while not giving you the advantage of an SLR. That's the whole point in the first place, no? Why don't you search for a used Super D 4x5? I've seen these on *-bay from time to time. I have one of these and for certain applications, it's wonderful. By the way, the friend from whom I bought mine also had your camera and has shown me some 30"x40" enlargements made from those 3-1/4" x 4-1/4" neagtives. They are quite impressive. Is your objection having to do with film availability? You can get sheet film in this size, you know.

Good luck

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
19-Mar-2004, 08:01
It is possible to fit a 4x5 graflock back onto a 3x4 Graflex, however the camera will not cover the whole film. Bert Saunders, a repairman in California, does this regularly. Look on the discussion boards of graflex.org for his contact information, or email me off list. Its not the same as having a 4x5, but it will allow you to use a much wider variety of film than are availble with 3x4.

Bert put a Graflock on my RB Auto 4x5, and it works perfectly, and has exact registration.