PDA

View Full Version : Dody Weston Thompson passes at 89

Mark Sawyer
26-Oct-2012, 13:55
Dody Weston Thompson, one of the founders of "Aperture," assistant to Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, and once married to Brett Weston, has died in Los Angeles at 89.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204530504578079563682075012.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Frank Petronio
26-Oct-2012, 19:13
http://www.arcadja.com/auctions/en/laughlin_clarence_john/artist/16635/

Vintage portrait of her, pretty cute. I bet the current issues of Aperture hastened her along.

Merg Ross
26-Oct-2012, 22:01
Mark, thanks for posting.

Dody had a long and distinguished career in the history of fine art photography. Much of what she championed, are values still supported by many members of the photographic community.

My first memory of Dody was in 1949, on a visit to Wildcat Hill when she was Edward Weston's apprentice. During the years that followed, she participated in the production of his Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio, the Print Project, was awarded the Bender Award, and started Aperture with Ansel and Minor.

Dody had an excellent portfolio of her personal photography, utilizing 4x5 and 5x7 formats, producing contact printed gems. She also had a marvelous way with words, writing with keen insight about both Edward and Brett.

For over sixty years, my life has been enriched by Dody's friendship; I will miss her.

Merg Ross
9-Jan-2013, 22:56
For those interested in the life of this fascinating woman, her biography was published yesterday on Wikipedia. As one who experienced some of the referenced events with Dody, I do note a few historical inaccuracies. Nevertheless, this is a welcome tribute to one who contributed so much to photography, with her writing, lectures and personal portfolio of work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dody_Weston_Thompson

Gary Nylander
10-Jan-2013, 22:35
Thanks very much for this, Merg, I checked out the wikipedia link, yes what a fascinating woman!

Gary

Doug Howk
11-Jan-2013, 06:40
Thanks, Merg, for the Wiki link.
The article was very informative, though does appear to have some minor factual errors (eg, Ed Weston showing Dody his platinum prints).

Brian Ellis
11-Jan-2013, 07:01
Thanks for the link Merg, sorry to learn of her passing.

Without knowing anything about her except that she was Edward Weston's assistant and married Brett Weston I've always assumed she was the "Weston" of the Weston Gallery in Carmel, i.e. that she started/owned that gallery. I now gather that she wasn't/isn't because there's no mention of any connection between her and that gallery in the Wikipedia article. So who is the "Weston" of that gallery?

Doug Howk
11-Jan-2013, 08:20
I believe she (Maggi) was one of Cole Weston's wives. She & her Weston Gallery make appearances in "The Roots of California Photography".

Jim Noel
11-Jan-2013, 08:40
Don't take what you read in "Wiki" as the gospel truth. Doug is correct. She was married to Cole, and originally did own the Weston Gallery in Carmel.

Merg Ross
11-Jan-2013, 09:21
Thanks for the link Merg, sorry to learn of her passing.

Without knowing anything about her except that she was Edward Weston's assistant and married Brett Weston I've always assumed she was the "Weston" of the Weston Gallery in Carmel, i.e. that she started/owned that gallery. I now gather that she wasn't/isn't because there's no mention of any connection between her and that gallery in the Wikipedia article. So who is the "Weston" of that gallery?

Hi Brian-

Dody had nothing to do with the Weston Gallery in Carmel. That gallery was opened by Cole Weston's third wife, Maggi, in 1975.

Merg

Thom Bennett
11-Jan-2013, 09:29
Very interesting. I especially enjoyed reading that she was originally from New Orleans and knew Clarence John Laughlin and that she was the model for one of his more famous images. And then to go out
West and get to know the Weston's, Ansel, Merg and to be a part of the f64 movement! What an interesting life. Hopefully, someone will do a book of her and her work.

Terry Hayden
11-Jan-2013, 12:14
Mark, thanks for posting.

Dody had a long and distinguished career in the history of fine art photography. Much of what she championed, are values still supported by many members of the photographic community.

My first memory of Dody was in 1949, on a visit to Wildcat Hill when she was Edward Weston's apprentice. During the years that followed, she participated in the production of his Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio, the Print Project, was awarded the Bender Award, and started Aperture with Ansel and Minor.

Dody had an excellent portfolio of her personal photography, utilizing 4x5 and 5x7 formats, producing contact printed gems. She also had a marvelous way with words, writing with keen insight about both Edward and Brett.

For over sixty years, my life has been enriched by Dody's friendship; I will miss her.

Thanks for the perspective Merg - even with historical inaccuracies it's a good read about a fascinating woman.

Brian Ellis
12-Jan-2013, 07:03
Hi Brian-

Dody had nothing to do with the Weston Gallery in Carmel. That gallery was opened by Cole Weston's third wife, Maggi, in 1975.

Merg

Thanks Merg.