PDA

View Full Version : Ebony SV45ti Focus rail

Eugene van der Merwe
26-Oct-2012, 04:06
So, i know ths issue has been addressed here before, but my searches have come up empty...

My SV45ti has developed a very sticky focusing rail. The front standard is the one causing trouble, super dificult to get to move and it squeals when it does. I have not lubricated it or fiddled with any screws. The rear standard is fine, but i don't use it nearly as much since i mostly photograph with wide lenses.

What to do? I remember past threads recommending lubricating the rail, where does the lube go, and what type? Any other solutions?

Ed Richards
26-Oct-2012, 05:00
Has the rail swelled from moisture? Have you tried loosening the screws on the rail clamps?

Eugene van der Merwe
26-Oct-2012, 05:33
Moisture probably has something to do with it, i work in the wet often. I keep a big bag of silica gel in my bag to keep things dry, but i'm not sure it does the trick. Have not loosened any screws, i will give that a try.

Nigels
26-Oct-2012, 06:52
Have a look a 3) here -http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/FAQ.html

deadpan
28-Oct-2012, 07:14
I would loosen the screws (very slightly) as mentioned above. For lubrication, I was advised by Hiromi to use wax (I use a beeswax candle) on the wooden part of the rail. Worth mentioning that my camera is Ebony rather than Mahogany. I would assume that the mahogany (due to it being lacquered) might benefit from a different lubrication? Ask Hiromi over at Ebony cameras-they are very helpful.

Eugene van der Merwe
30-Oct-2012, 05:15
Hello all, thanks for the advice, i have loosened screwws and applied some wax and everything is now smooth and squeek free! Now i just need to find time to get it out in the field! Thanks!