PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Mumbai, India

David_5527
26-Oct-2012, 00:39
I'll be in Mumbai next week. Wondering if any good shops there for buying vintage lenses...

cyberjunkie
26-Oct-2012, 01:26
Try your luck at the Chor Bazaar (Thieves Market is the literal translation, IIRC).
Last time i've been there you could even buy a vintage Rolls Royce, complete of everything!
Visiting the whole market takes hours, much less if you already know what you are looking for.
Don't expect to pay silly prices, they know what they are selling!
Bargaining is the norm, there are no fixed prices.
Once upon the time it was a treasure trove, with plenty of nice antiques, left by the british, or manufactured british-style in India. Prices were ridicolous, by westerns standards.
Those times were already long gone a decade ago.
I guess that you can still be lucky, if you're looking for LF lenses. Just forget about Leicas and Rolex watches...

have fun

CJ

David_5527
26-Oct-2012, 01:33
THanks! I wonder if they are open on Sundays?

Steven Tribe
26-Oct-2012, 02:55
Certainly.
There is an active brass lens e**y lister in India.
He probably has a series of contacts/agents who do the usual productive markets regularly, based on the quantity of things he has. But you could get lucky and come between his sweeps.
By the time they reach e**y, they shine with a very pale (no lacquer - just buffing?) hue.
Even mat black Waterhouse stops get the full stripping treatment!

Jody_S
26-Oct-2012, 08:39
Certainly.
There is an active brass lens e**y lister in India.
He probably has a series of contacts/agents who do the usual productive markets regularly, based on the quantity of things he has. But you could get lucky and come between his sweeps.
By the time they reach e**y, they shine with a very pale (no lacquer - just buffing?) hue.
Even mat black Waterhouse stops get the full stripping treatment!

I've often wondered what his lenses look like before the treatment... I haven't been brave enough to buy one to check it out.

B.S.Kumar
26-Oct-2012, 10:09
Chor Bazaar is the right place, but don't expect dirt-cheap prices, unless you're very lucky. The older generation of shop-keepers has been replaced by their iPad toting sons, who know world market prices, and will quote prices based on your nationality. But bargain in a friendly way, smile a lot, and you might get something at a good price.

Kumar