PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Jobo to MOD54 - how to adjust development times?

Thomas Greutmann
25-Oct-2012, 10:19
Hello all,
I am currently developing my negs in Jobo 25xx drums on a Jobo processor (rotary development). I would like to give the MOD54 a try (with agitation).

I am using TMAX 400 and XTOL.

Has anyone made the same switch and could give me a hint on how to adjust development times?

Greetings, Thomas

Lachlan 717
25-Oct-2012, 12:43
Why on earth would you want to dumb down your Jobo system?

RedSun
25-Oct-2012, 15:24
He just said to try it :D He got tired of sitting there watching and he wants to get into the agitation action. Roll up the sleeves.

Jeff Bannow
26-Oct-2012, 06:57

Maybe he doesn't want constant agitation for his negs?

Lachlan 717
26-Oct-2012, 12:56
Maybe he doesn't want constant agitation for his negs?

Wouldn't you just plug the Jobo tank? Can't be too much difference in the chem volumes needed to fill the Jobo compared to the Patterson.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Oct-2012, 14:10
I have noticed a difference of about 40% between Jobo Expert and Nikor tanks (eg: 10:00 for Jobo and 14:00 in Nikor) using XTOL 1:1. Not sure of this helps you, but would imagine the Nikor is kind of like the Patterson.

Not that you asked but I agree with Lachlan.

polyglot
29-Oct-2012, 03:13
Contrary to Jason, I actually find that my Jobo times with Xtol are at most 10% shorter than the standard-inversion (1:00 then 0:10/minute) times. Rodinal times are a good 15-20% shorter though.

Anyway, TMY2 in Xtol 1+1 is a pretty well-documented combination. Kodak says 9:15 for the classic agitation scheme, 8:45 for "sheet", which I assume means rotary processing. And note that those times differ by only 5%, indicating that Xtol isn't very sensitive to agitation patterns.

Thomas Greutmann
30-Oct-2012, 09:50
Jason, polyglot: thanks for sharing your experience. I guess I will have to do some testing myself but your input will give me a starting point.

Funny to see the speculations about why I want to make the move from Jobo to MOD54. Keep going, you are still off the real motivation :)

Greetings, Thomas

Frank_E
30-Oct-2012, 16:37
now you have us guessing…..

here is my guess (which also happens to be my situation)

you are developing your film in two different locations and have two different set-ups, and don't want to drag all of your gear back and forth between the two locations...

photobymike
30-Oct-2012, 17:04

Jobo is good but very expensive...... i put a PVC 4 inch pipe around my Paterson sys 4 tank, to give it enough diameter to fit and roll it on my Beseler roller base. With MOD 54 and tmax ....the times are the same. Jobo is the best but this is a very close second.....that is 1 third of the price.

Raglansurf
7-Nov-2012, 03:57
Funny to see the speculations about why I want to make the move from Jobo to MOD54. Keep going, you are still off the real motivation :)

Is it down to space? I had a Jobo but really didn't have the room to store it when I wasn't using it and couldn't leave it set up in the kitchen.