PDA

View Full Version : Lens Cap Replacements

Joseph Kayne
25-Oct-2012, 08:40
I lost a couple of lens caps. Where do order replacement caps? I have rodenstock, Nikkor and Schneider lenses... Thanks. Joe.

Vaughn
25-Oct-2012, 08:45
Camera stores have them. I checked your website to see where you are (looks to be USA) -- always good to include your location when asking such questions.

Check Freestyle, but not many:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?resultpage=2&q=lens+caps&

B&H has about 530 listed:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Lens-Caps/ci/297/N/4077634522

-- You just need to know the diameter.

Gem Singer
25-Oct-2012, 08:49
KEH has many previously owned lens caps listed on their website.

www.keh.com

C. D. Keth
25-Oct-2012, 13:44
I just take the lens to a camera show held locally. I can usually find one that fits with just a few minutes of digging through the bin and for 50 cents. Some camera shops have bins of stray lenscaps, too.

adam satushek
25-Oct-2012, 13:51
I like KEH for lens caps. Or if you want to get fancy you can have SK grimes custom mill them:

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-caps

...ive always wanted to do that because I think the stock caps on Schneiders and Nikkors are not that great. My Rodenstock has pretty nice ones though.

Jim Jones
25-Oct-2012, 14:34
Consider metal screw-in caps for maximum protection. They don't get lost as easily as slip-on or snap-in caps.

Jeff Keller
26-Oct-2012, 10:43
For Schneider, call the your nearest office. Though not cheap, their prices for new caps might be lower than the alternatives.
https://www.schneideroptics.com/contact/contact.htm

jeff keller

Keith Pitman
26-Oct-2012, 13:36
. I like "snap cap" lens caps. I buy the Chinese counterfeit Nikon lenscaps on Ebay. They are inexpensive and I usually buy extras anticipating future losses.

Frank Petronio
26-Oct-2012, 15:14
B&H has a large listing of Schneider and B&W push-on caps, OEM quality, listed by diameter in mm. It takes a little guessing since the outside diameter of the lens barrel is a few mm larger than the filter thread. Some lenses are listed on the Schneider website with lenscap size. What I do is buy several and return the misses since B&H is good about returns.

Some of the screw-in and snap-in caps will touch the protruding lens elements of certain large format lenses, more than common 35mm lenses, so be careful. I agree, the lenscaps should be better quality.

BrianShaw
26-Oct-2012, 16:59
B&H has a large listing of Schneider...

... and as a matter of fact, the last time I contacted my local Schneider office to buy lens caps they suggested contacting B&H. It ends up that Schneider would have to special order from their New York location, yet B&H has most of them in stock all the time anyway. The Schneider folk are very nice, but the B&H folk can deliver much quicker and at about same prices.

Alan Gales
26-Oct-2012, 17:08
Both my 14" Commercial Ektar and my Fujinon 250mm sport late model Nikon pinch caps.

Neither lens has complained so far.

Of course I'm not a pro and can look as amateur as can be.

Heroique
26-Oct-2012, 17:41
If you have to go w/ an off-market brand, Glazers in Seattle has a drawer full of new Kaiser push-on caps, whose German quality I appreciate. That drawer contains an incredible assortment of sizes – in 1mm increments; I don’t think Kaiser makes them in .5mm increments. Most of the caps are about $8 each + mailing. (Keep in mind that most push-on caps are 2mm larger than the threads they’re meant to cover. For example, 67mm threads would typically need a 69mm cap.)

adam satushek
26-Oct-2012, 19:18
Glazers! I miss glazers!

Bill, 70's military B&W
27-Oct-2012, 05:24
Everyone, I found a deal on lens caps on ebay. Someone had collected various lens caps and sold them all, really cheap. Watch for it.
Bill

scorpio516
1-Nov-2012, 09:23
. I like "snap cap" lens caps. I buy the Chinese counterfeit Nikon lenscaps on Ebay. They are inexpensive and I usually buy extras anticipating future losses.

I too find the Nikon center pinch caps the best, and the chinese ebay knock-offs aren't bad. And as a bonus, my Schneider and Caltar lenses don't say Nikon on the front when capped :D
The center pinch ones are far better than the old side pinch ear type ones, and I've never been too happy with press on friction caps.

mike rosenlof
1-Nov-2012, 17:35
I also like the metal screw in caps. I use them on some of my Mamiya TLR lenses. Double your uh... screwing and unscrewing fun.

I have one of the custom made S.K. Grimes lens caps on a 360mm Apo Nikkor. It was expensive, but is nice!

Jody_S
1-Nov-2012, 17:38
Am I the only one here making lens caps from cardboard and pliver leather? With a bit of Fiebing's die and Resolene... Yes, I'm old school. But I have awesome lens caps.

Tim Meisburger
1-Nov-2012, 17:56
I just make them out of cardboard. I would like to try leather sometime, but so far I haven't been able to get my wife to give any of her old purses to the cause...

Jody_S
1-Nov-2012, 18:07
I just make them out of cardboard. I would like to try leather sometime, but so far I haven't been able to get my wife to give any of her old purses to the cause...

Gloves... purses... jackets... eBay or any other flea market... nothing beats real leather.

Tim Meisburger
1-Nov-2012, 18:40
Do you line them with velvet or satin? Or just a circle of leather?

Jody_S
2-Nov-2012, 09:23
Do you line them with velvet or satin? Or just a circle of leather?

I've been using adhesive-backed felt from wal-mart, but I don't really like the look. I should try a leather circle.

Bruce Pottorff
2-Nov-2012, 09:30
Another vote for SK Grimes. Pricey, and it puts a premium on not losing them, but man are they nice.

Bob Salomon
2-Nov-2012, 10:16
Glazers! I miss glazers!

You can also order them in Boulder. We sell to Mikes as well as J. Cohen in Lafayette.

gdv59
2-Nov-2012, 14:36
Another vote for S.K. Grimes. B&H and HP Marketing for the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. For Nikon and/or you're okay with used OEM caps, they can be found at KEH or eBay with some patience.

Henry Carter
4-Nov-2012, 07:08
SK Grimes machines lens caps from solid Delrin. They are light, strong and inflexible (and hence very protective). They are made to order to your specs or using your lens itself (if you send it to them). They make the lens caps originally supplied with your lens look like a joke.
Though relatively expensive, they are protecting a much more expensive investment in glass. Go for the best and don't look back!

Jody_S
4-Nov-2012, 18:54
SK Grimes machines lens caps from solid Delrin. They are light, strong and inflexible (and hence very protective). They are made to order to your specs or using your lens itself (if you send it to them). They make the lens caps originally supplied with your lens look like a joke.
Though relatively expensive, they are protecting a much more expensive investment in glass. Go for the best and don't look back!

I have a feeling those S.K. Grimes lens caps would cost me more than I've paid for any of the lenses, so would the lens end up being a protector for the expensive lens cap?

Jeff Bannow
5-Nov-2012, 06:08
I have a feeling those S.K. Grimes lens caps would cost me more than I've paid for any of the lenses, so would the lens end up being a protector for the expensive lens cap?

I just had one made and it cost $35. And it's amazing quality work.