PDA

View Full Version : Densitometer Recommendations

Robert Budding
24-Oct-2012, 16:53
I used to borrow a friend's Heiland densitometer, but unfortunately it has disappeared. So now I'm looking for a densitometer to test B&W film. I just need straight transmission readings - nothing as fancy as BTZS. What do people here recommend?

lenser
24-Oct-2012, 17:03
I have a Speedmaster T-85D that is for sale. I can't tell you much about it since I got it as part of a huge darkroom deal earlier this year and don't know how to use it. I wanted all the other stuf and this came as part of the set up.

It is in near mint condition and everything that I can work with turns on and operates including the foot switch.

Peter De Smidt
24-Oct-2012, 18:58
I use an X-rite color densitometer. The R, G, B channels can be useful for stained negatives.

Robert Budding
24-Oct-2012, 19:15
I have a Speedmaster T-85D that is for sale. I can't tell you much about it since I got it as part of a huge darkroom deal earlier this year and don't know how to use it. I wanted all the other stuf and this came as part of the set up.

It is in near mint condition and everything that I can work with turns on and operates including the foot switch.

I'd only be interested if I could find a manual for it.

lenser
24-Oct-2012, 19:40
I don't currently have one, but I'll see if I can find one on line or from Calumet.

Robert Budding
29-Oct-2012, 04:18
I've decided to buy an RH designs Analyzer Pro instead of a dedicated densitometer.

EOTS
29-Oct-2012, 05:25
I use an X-rite color densitometer. The R, G, B channels can be useful for stained negatives.

Hi Peter!
Also looking for an X-rite to be usable for stained stuff ...

Which color meter model do you use successfully for this task?

There seem to be multiple models:
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=157
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=137

Thanks,
Martin

EOTS
29-Oct-2012, 06:43
Uh-oh damn it!
That stuff is about 10 times more expensive than I expected *gg*
http://geizhals.at/eu/90415982

Peter De Smidt
29-Oct-2012, 07:15
Sorry, I didn't see the question until just now. I use an 811. Mine was free from a lab that closed down. I also have a UV densitometer which is better for the UV sensitive alt processes.

EOTS
29-Oct-2012, 07:55
Sorry, I didn't see the question until just now. I use an 811. Mine was free from a lab that closed down. I also have a UV densitometer which is better for the UV sensitive alt processes.

Thanks Peter!

In case I look out for a used X-rite, should I be careful to get a CD or other accessories?
Or are they "standalone" devices?

Best,
Martin

Peter De Smidt
29-Oct-2012, 08:19
Hi Martin, 810s are more common and are perfectly fine.

Quoting an X-rite PDF, "The 811 is very much like the X-Rite 810, except that the 810 has only Status M for transmission operation, and the 811 has Status A and M for transmission operation. Transmission Status A is used for checking Positive transparencies (i.e. E6 slides) and Status M for checking Negative transparencies (i.e. C41 negatives)."

The manual is at: http://www.xrite.com/documents/manuals/en/810-64_810_Densitometer_Operation_Manual_en.pdf You want a reflection calibration target and a transmission calibration target. These might be available new, although I haven't checked recently. A spare bulb or two isn't a bad idea.

EOTS
29-Oct-2012, 08:35
Thanks!

Those models seem to be a lot cheaper used than the brand-new stuff!

Best,
Martin

Bill, 70's military B&W
1-Nov-2012, 18:58
I found a deal on a lot of gear and bought the entire 'lot'. In it was a couple of X-Rite 890, I know nothing about them. I have a Macbeth and I do not need them. They do not have any manual's or software, nothing but the machine itself. Does anyone know anything about them? Any recommendations?
Bill

Peter De Smidt
1-Nov-2012, 19:44
http://www.xrite.com/documents/manuals/en/880-602_880-890_Series_CS_Format_Guide_en.pdf

Bill, 70's military B&W
2-Nov-2012, 04:43
Peter, I looked the manual over for the X-Rite 890, and it seems to be mainly for color. Is that correct, or does it have a use in B&W also?
I have 2 or 3 of these just sitting in a box and I'd love to get them to someone who would appreciate them. I do not know if they work or not.
Any suggestions?
Bill

Peter De Smidt
2-Nov-2012, 05:45
Yeah, these are for reading process control strips. I doubt they'd be very useful for someone who doesn't use them. These were meant to be used by high-volumn labs that would run one or more test strips a day through their system.

ic-racer
2-Nov-2012, 15:02
I think the 890 machines would be fantastic for reading test strips. I just finished a big sensitometer shootout and I'll say that measuring by hand all those strips was a real pain. Hours of tedious work. I already have 2 densitometers, but if I ever got another I'd look for one of the automated ones.

For those not familiar with the 890, it will read your own strips made from just about any sensitometer. Check out Appendix B of the Control Strip & Balance Print Format Guide.