PDA

View Full Version : Carry on backpack...Domke?

Joseph Dickerson
24-Oct-2012, 15:39
Hi All,

Has anyone flown with a Domke Outpack (the large one, no longer made) as carry on? Will it fit in the overhead?

Measuring mine it seems as it's within the limits, but just. Love to have confirmation.

I'd hate to stand in the terminal wearing my backpack and waving good bye to my sweetie. :(

JD

jeroldharter
24-Oct-2012, 17:37
Solvang! That is the name of the town in California that I have not been able to remember for the past 2 months.

Anyway, the answer is probably: it depends. When I am on a large jet and board early so I have my choice of overhead I can get away with a large Photobackpacker backpack which is probably similar. However, if I am on a smaller jet or commuter plane the overhead is too small and I have to check my bag at the gate which is not how I like it.

Joseph Dickerson
25-Oct-2012, 08:17
jeroldharter,

This helps some, but I don't want to check anything photographic. I know of someone who sat in his seat after boarding and watched his Canon 300 f/2.8 (in it's well marked Canon travel case) walking away in the hands of a baggage handler.

I have two Kelty Redwings, a 3100 and a newer and smaller 44. Both are too big based on the published size restrictions. The Outpack is right on the cusp, a total of 46 inches instead of 45 inches which is why I'm looking for confirmation.

BTW, Solvang is Danish for "Sunny Meadows", and Solvang is the "Danish Capital of America". I know 'cause it says so right on the chamber of commerce office. My favorite Solvang story is that in 1976 while we were enjoying our bicentennial the Queen of Denmark didn't call President Reagan to congratulate the country, she called the mayor of Solvang.

If you're out this way, let me know and we'll go out and get some abel skevers. :cool:

JD

Fred L
25-Oct-2012, 16:53
I NEVER put long lenses (300mm+) in the factory case. it either goes on board with me or it into a huge arse Pelican with other gear. When I fly, my ThinkTank Airport International (Zone VI, lenses, spotmeter, dark cloth and some holders) fits larger craft but on regional, it's hit and miss and usually a gate check.

Fred L
25-Oct-2012, 19:03
edit-my bad, thread was about backpacks, not rollers.

My experience has been that they're more concerned with bag weight than bag dimensions. If your bag is 'legal' then I wouldn't worry about it for larger craft. Regional jets could be a problem as Jerold has noted. I've never had any issues with my backpacks (Tamrac, Crumpler or ThinkTank Shapeshifter) nor had a check in attendant pull out the measuring tape.

One thing I would suggest is to tuck away the should straps so it appears to be a lean bag with a carry handle vs a large backpack with straps hanging all over the place.

Frank Petronio
25-Oct-2012, 22:56
The smallest Think Tank backpack fits any tiny plane I've been on, overhead or below. I've watched almost everyone else get gate checked but sailed right on and it has always fit even the 12 seat turboprops. Whether it holds enough is the question but given that the flying situation will never improve, starting with that and building a system to fit makes a lot of sense.

Or do what I do now... Check a giant Tenba Air case with the works or just bring small cameras in an easy $39 daypack. Cramming and compromising isn't fun.

Joseph Dickerson
3-Nov-2012, 16:07
Thanks for all the responses, helpful and thought provoking as always. Gotta love this place.

Just for the record, I took the OutPack to the airport and it fit in their little box just fine. As they say," if it fits, it ships...well, flies actually!" :rolleyes:

JD