PDA

View Full Version : SCSI -> Firewire -> Thunderbolt for a scanner??? anyone tried

mortensen
24-Oct-2012, 13:19
Hi,
I'm about to pick up a Scanmate 4000 drumscanner from the 90s... and I would like it to run on my current iMac (using a partition of the HD to run OSX 10.5, which is compatible with ColorQuartet software for the scanner)

... BUT: can I possibly connect the scanner this way? I know that some (hopefully most) people have success connecting Scanmate scanners via SCSI->Firewire adapters, but can I continue the chain to Thunderbolt?

Any knowledge/advice greatly appreciated!

ps: I know I can 'just buy an old mac' etc etc, but I don't want to have more computers than necessary - there's already 3 in the apartment

LF_rookie_to_be
27-Oct-2012, 03:13
This guy managed to get from SCSI to FW800: http://www.godmanblog.com/2011/01/imacon-piii-mac-os-10-6-snow-leopard-and-ratoc-fr1sx/

mortensen
27-Oct-2012, 13:01
Thanks... I thought that was doable, too
- hope I can skip all the protocol work?!?

jonreid
27-Oct-2012, 20:36
The Ratoc scsi-firewire coverters are no longer available. Maybe you'll get one on the auction site. Maybe also ask your question on the hi-res scanners yahoo group or the Imacon users group, also on Yahoo.

mortensen
28-Oct-2012, 01:25
Thanks, jonreid - I've searched there already. I snatched up an Iomega SCSI-firewire converter on the bay recently. Haven't had a chance to test i yet, but hopefully it'll work

LF_rookie_to_be
28-Oct-2012, 07:25
Lars, does ColorQuartet 5.3.1 run on 10.6.8 with Rosetta installed? If so, going to Thunderbolt may be possible, since 10.6.8 seems to be the oldest OS X version that supports it (not sure, though). You could easily be among the first to try it with a 90s SCSI device. Try it and let us know!

mortensen
28-Oct-2012, 07:58
... I don't think so - according to Michael, the problem for ColorQuartet is actually modified Quicktime files in OS X 10.6
That is the sole obstacle preventing ColorQuartet from working on newer systems. I doubt Rosetta will solve that, but if anyone know... please let me know :)
I actually plan on using the scanner with my iMac which runs 10.6.8 and has a firewire 800 connector. So the thunderbolt issue isn't that pressing (it was with my laptop).
Best solution so far seems to be to use a spare partition on my disc and run 10.5 on it and boot from it when I need to use the scanner.

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Dec-2012, 07:29
Lars, any luck with this? Did you get the scanner/software working on your iMac?

vinny
4-Dec-2012, 07:58
What would be the advantage of doig this over using just a scsi to firewire converter?
Your imac has firewire ports, right?

mortensen
4-Dec-2012, 08:21
... it was because I wanted to test the scanner with my laptop, when I picked it up (new macbook pro with only thunderbolt ports). I have ended up buying and older powerbook running tiger and connecting to the scanner through firewire. But I have not yet established communication with the scanner... victory has yet to come

vinny
4-Dec-2012, 08:52
Apple does some stupid things. My new mac mini has 4 usb's and only one firewire (800). All my ext hd's are firewire 400 and what's the slowest connection in existence? Usb.

Light Guru
4-Dec-2012, 09:09
Hi,
I'm about to pick up a Scanmate 4000 drumscanner from the 90s... and I would like it to run on my current iMac (using a partition of the HD to run OSX 10.5, which is compatible with ColorQuartet software for the scanner)

... BUT: can I possibly connect the scanner this way? I know that some (hopefully most) people have success connecting Scanmate scanners via SCSI->Firewire adapters, but can I continue the chain to Thunderbolt?

Any knowledge/advice greatly appreciated!

ps: I know I can 'just buy an old mac' etc etc, but I don't want to have more computers than necessary - there's already 3 in the apartment

If your iMac has Thunderbolt it WILL NOT run 10.6 or even 10.6

When Apple releases a new model machine it WILL NOT run versions of the OS that came out before that peace of hardware was released. The older versions of the OS are not going to have the support for hardware that is newer then the OS is.

If you want to use that scanner your going to need to also buy an old machine to use it.

mortensen
4-Dec-2012, 11:25
Hi Zak,
thanks for input - I reached the same conclusions through Apple's user forum and eventually picked up an older powerbook... as reported previously today, connections to the scanner is not yet established

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Dec-2012, 12:54
Shame that G4 Macs are getting quite old now and start to die sooner than drum scanners of comparative vintage or older. Mine just entered that phase and its repair is of questionable financial viability. By all means grab a Ratoc FR1SX if you can find it!

Andrea Gazzoni
4-Dec-2012, 13:40
Lars have you tried with a pc instead of a mac? I am running both my Scanmates on Win XP, one is a desktop with scsi card, the other is a laptop with scsi>pcmcia adapter. never had an issue.

mortensen
4-Dec-2012, 14:23
nope, haven't tried with a pc. I 'invested' in the pretty little powerbook, so I'll give it a few more chances... having read quite a bit at the Scan Hi-End group, it seems that most people have success with scanmates on macs...

mortensen
4-Dec-2012, 14:24
Btw, how do I remove the drum, Andrea? Should it be unscrewed or...? I really don't want to use force

Andrea Gazzoni
4-Dec-2012, 14:41
you'll have to use some force Lars. once you have the drum in lock position, spin the drum until it stops, then you have to rotate it towards you with enough force to disengage it from the bayonet attachments on the spindle. I'd suggest to grab the drum by its collar and apply force there, with your right hand on the open side of the drum, in order to keep it from touching anywhere.

jonreid
24-Dec-2012, 17:38
Have you installed a SCSI driver? I found that even using the scsi/FireWire adapter I needed a SCSI driver installed.