PDA

View Full Version : Cescolite Dimpled Trays

wiggywag
24-Oct-2012, 11:53
I'm into buying some trays. I already have Paterson trays that have ridges. I wondered if the dimpled Cescolite trays needs less chemistry to cover paper/film, the ridges require quite a lot? I also wonder if they are a bit oversized (like the paterson) or a tight fit?

ROL
24-Oct-2012, 12:16
My dimpled Cesco film developing trays are not "tight", but you really want to use the next size up for at least your developer (i.e., 8x10 film –> 11x14 tray) to prevent surge marks, especially if using a "slosher" or basket. Of course, the (relatively shallow) dimples will displace a negligible amount of chemical, the level of the film being raised accordingly to the height of the dimples, but the ability to pick film up easily far outweighs that. Compared to ridges or grooves? I dunno, seems like splitting hairs. Why don't you fill each type with water and measure it?

Leigh
24-Oct-2012, 12:26
I've used the dimpled Cescolite trays for many years, and am quite pleased with them.

I tray-develop 8x10 face down, and have yet to encounter any issues related to the trays.

- Leigh

wiggywag
24-Oct-2012, 12:27
My dimpled Cesco film developing trays are not "tight", but you really want to use the next size up for at least your developer (i.e., 8x10 film –> 11x14 tray) to prevent surge marks, especially if using a "slosher" or basket. Of course, the (relatively shallow) dimples will displace a negligible amount of chemical, the level of the film being raised accordingly to the height of the dimples, but the ability to pick film up easily far outweighs that. Compared to ridges or grooves? I dunno, seems like splitting hairs. Why don't you fill each type with water and measure it?

I don't have any cescolite dimpled trays in house, so I don't know the difference. I will use the trays for film development and wonders what people prefer for this - ridges, dimples, grooves or flat? :-)

Drew Wiley
24-Oct-2012, 12:45
I have some of them and use them sometimes for film. I also have some dimpled stainless
steel trays which are much better due to better thermal conductivity. You can't find the
SS ones anymore, but what I do for big sized trays is take a flat-bottomed stainless one
and apply self-adhesive silicone hemispherical cabinet door bumpers. They last seemingly forever and won't scratch film. Don't confuse these with the cheapo vinyl bumpers.

Drew Wiley
24-Oct-2012, 12:47
Oh - sorry to miss your last query, but dimpled bottoms are simply the best for film use.
The sheets are easy to lift out, and the chem gets behind the sheets evenly.

wiggywag
24-Oct-2012, 12:55
I've used the dimpled Cescolite trays for many years, and am quite pleased with them.

I tray-develop 8x10 face down, and have yet to encounter any issues related to the trays.

- Leigh

Have you tried others? Do you prefer them?

wiggywag
24-Oct-2012, 13:34
I just tried some of my existing trays. A problem with the grooves is that you cant use both directions of the trays, but with dimples you can go horizontal or vertical and still be able to get underneath the film the same way!

wiggywag
25-Oct-2012, 00:30
I have some of them and use them sometimes for film. I also have some dimpled stainless
steel trays which are much better due to better thermal conductivity. You can't find the
SS ones anymore, but what I do for big sized trays is take a flat-bottomed stainless one
and apply self-adhesive silicone hemispherical cabinet door bumpers. They last seemingly forever and won't scratch film. Don't confuse these with the cheapo vinyl bumpers.

like this?
http://www.findtape.com/product532/3M-Bumpon-SJ5300-Series-Self-Adhesive-Bumpers.aspx

Leigh
25-Oct-2012, 03:39
Have you tried others? Do you prefer them?
I have a bunch of other trays, but have not used them for film since I got the Cescolite dimples. Major improvement.

- Leigh

lab black
25-Oct-2012, 05:41
I have both types of Cescolite trays; flat bottom and dimpled. Both, in my opinion are a significant improvement over the Patterson trays, especially in the larger sizes such as 16x20 and 20x24. The Cescolight dimpled trays seem to be well suited for tray processing as opposed to the flat bottom style, in that with the dimpled version, there is no need to run your jagged, "I thought my fingernail was a Craftsman, flat-head screwdriver," across the bottom of the flat tray searching for your lost, shipwrecked negative that has sunk to the bottom of the tray and stuck there, only to realize that you have not only ploughed your ragged fingernail halfway through your negative, but you have also dug your prized Green Hornet ring into the soft emulsion as well. Nope...never done that.

wiggywag
25-Oct-2012, 06:12
How much extra space is there, how tight is the fit? E.g. 11x14 = 12x15 internal size?

Thanks to everybody who contributed :-)

John Kasaian
25-Oct-2012, 06:19
Good grief! Now I've got tray envy!:rolleyes:

Drew Wiley
25-Oct-2012, 10:40
John - thought that out your way you'd be recycling packing shed fruit boxes for trays!

Leigh
25-Oct-2012, 10:48
How much extra space is there, how tight is the fit? E.g. 11x14 = 12x15 internal size?
The actual dimensions are on the B&H site www.bhphotovideo.com

- Leigh

wiggywag
25-Oct-2012, 12:59
The actual dimensions are on the B&H site www.bhphotovideo.com

- Leigh

Where?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/13139-REG/Cescolite_CLDB1114_11x14_Dimple_Bottom_Plastic.html

Leigh
25-Oct-2012, 18:06
OK. They had dimensions last time I looked, which was a while ago. Apparently they edited the description.

I'll measure mine. I use 11x14 trays to develop 8x10 film.

- Leigh

John Kasaian
25-Oct-2012, 19:03
John - thought that out your way you'd be recycling packing shed fruit boxes for trays!
It takes a lot of duct tape to keep those chemicals from leaking out :rolleyes:

wiggywag
29-Oct-2012, 11:36
OK. They had dimensions last time I looked, which was a while ago. Apparently they edited the description.

I'll measure mine. I use 11x14 trays to develop 8x10 film.

- Leigh

please...thanks :)