PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 8x10 Century Imperial Studio Camera

Jonathan Barlow
24-Oct-2012, 10:42
Has anyone ever seen or owned one of these? Adjusted for inflation, the original price of this camera was $8,155.75 without lens in 1935.

lenser
24-Oct-2012, 10:52
A now defunct local camera store in Springfield, Mo. (Ozark Camera) used to have one sitting in a dark corner on their second floor in office space. The few times I got a close look at it, it was definitely major lust going on. Some of the most beautiful woodwork and design that I've ever seen.

Jonathan Barlow
24-Oct-2012, 11:00
Neat story. It does seem like the height of Art Deco coolness in a large format camera.

goamules
24-Oct-2012, 11:13
Reminds me of the room in the Wizard of Oz with the man behind the curtain.

Tracy Storer
24-Oct-2012, 13:19
Saw one on Ebay a few years ago.....saved the auction photos SOMEWHERE on my HD. I'll post 'em if I find 'em.

BarryS
24-Oct-2012, 13:37
Louis Pacilla on the forum has one. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?58776-This-is-a-new-one-to-me-Century-Imperial-View-Unit-1924 I don't think there are too many of these floating around.

Jonathan Barlow
28-Oct-2012, 14:42
Thanks for the link. I have to admit that it's a little disappointing to learn that the camera was made almost entirely out of wood. I imagined metal castings and heavy-duty gearing for 8 grand in 1935 (inflation-adjusted).

premortho
30-Oct-2012, 17:45
To Jonathan Barlow: There were several reasons why photographers preferred wood cameras. The main thing was it's ability to absorb vibration. And these cameras were made by real cabinet makers~~I mean the kind who used to come to your house and design, then build various items that were built in. Like the bookcases in the den..the ones with the leaded glass doors. They also relaxed the client such as women and children perhaps because of their warmth. My mothers' portrait photographer did a set of my sister and myself in front of a big Ansco made of wood. He also had a Burke&James Rembrant model that he used for school pics and stuff like that. He told me he had to special order it in plain wood. Normally B&J's came in battleship gray.