PDA

View Full Version : Omegaview 45E question...did I get ripped?

Pitcherman
24-Oct-2012, 07:28
Good morning gentlemen-
I probably don't need to tell you that I am new to the LF forum, but I am. The other day I fell in love with and bought an Omegaview 45E with a Rodenstock 210mm Sironar-N and a 135mm Graflex f4.7. It has the kind of funny viewfinder attachment. I bought it at a local shop. I am getting stuff together to take it out and do some shooting, but I saw on the forum that these cameras sell for a good bit less than what I paid and I am wondering if there is some inherent design flaw that makes these cameras problematic. I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that I didn't get ripped off...or conversely the bitter truth on how badly I did. :p

thanks,
robert

PS. I bought the camera primarily to do portraits.

Cletus
24-Oct-2012, 07:34
I hate to ask, but I wonder how much you paid for it? Isn't the Omegaview 45E a monorail? I think this camera often sells used for a couple hundred. Maybe a bit more in pristine condition and depending on accessories included. Your 210 Sironar, if it's nice, should also fetch at least a couple hundred and maybe more. Not sure about the Graflex 135.

I'm sure there are many others here who can give you better guidance on current going rates for this camera.

Vaughn
24-Oct-2012, 07:43
The camera is fine. The price of 4x5 rail cameras have dropped due to more being on the market than for any other reason. If you had to miss a mortgage payment, your family had to miss a few meals, or if you now can't afford film in order to buy it, then you paid too much for it. Otherwise, just enjoy it!

It has been many years (30+) since I used one, but I do not remember any thing particularily wrong with the design. The 135mm might be a bit short for head-and-shoulder portraits, but it should be good for full-body, especially in tight spaces with two or more people. The 210 is a fine lens.

Preston
24-Oct-2012, 07:54
The 45E is certainly not one of the Omega/Toyo higher end cameras, but it is a very capable monorail. It has generous movements, axis tilt on front and rear, and geared rise/fall on the front and rear standards. It should make a nice portrait camera, assuming it is in good condition.

I am cuious about the "...kind of funny viewfinder attachment." Can you post a picture of it? It could be a simple viewing hood, or a reflex-type finder. If the latter, this would be a rather pricey accessory.

The Sironar is a nice lens, as Cletus says. I don't know about the Graflex 135.

Welcome to the forum, and the best of luck to you.

--P

DKirk
24-Oct-2012, 08:53
While at the low end of the Toyo monorails, it is a very capable beast. You should find that it is compatable with the other TOYO view products - Though if it's like the 45E rail that I have you can't get extensions for the rail, however it's the same 39mm rail as the 45G.

E. von Hoegh
24-Oct-2012, 09:50
The Sironar is a nice lens, as Cletus says. I don't know about the Graflex 135.

--P

Most likely a renamed Wollensak Raptar; no movements but stop it down to f:16 or f:22 and you can shave with it. Great for color too.

Pitcherman
24-Oct-2012, 14:10
I am relieved. I may have over paid, but I spread good will with one of the two brick and mortar stores in town. I went in today and the owner gave me a great deal on chemistry and some items I needed to set up my darkroom...even got a NOS Kodak process thermometer for nothing. So I am happy! Going to process my first sheet film tomorrow.

Also for those who are interested, the 135 mm f4.7 Graflex is indeed a wollensak and is labled an Optar. I think it should be nice for wider shots and couples. We will see.
thanks for your help.

DKirk
25-Oct-2012, 03:14
Congratulations, hope you enjoy it. I've certainly noticed that for the camera itself I probably overpaid myself, however I did pay buttons for a newer and slightly better condition standard, extension rail and standard bellows. The good thing I've noticed is the larger lensboard (dead easy to make out of a piece of sheet metal) easily accomodates large shutters without fear of breaking. I would suggest buying the 45G monorail parts however, as they can be extended.

David Lobato
25-Oct-2012, 10:09
My first 4x5 camera was a 45E with a 210mm Rodenstock Sironar lens. I really liked using it and got excellent results. It's a very capable camera and a good one to start 4x5 with.

Roger Thoms
26-Oct-2012, 06:45
Hey Robert, the camera motived you to take the plunge into large format and that's worth quite q bit, so I wouldn't worry about the price you paid to much. Have fun with the camera.

Roger