PDA

View Full Version : Canadian source for E-6 chemicals?

SeanEsopenko
23-Oct-2012, 16:07
Unisource/Mondrian has gigantic quantities (100L mixes) of E-6 available. None of the online retails (B&H, etc) can ship E6 over the border. Are there any sources for small sized mixes of E6 chemicals? Nobody in Calgary, Canada does E6 any more and I'd like to get into slide film without having to ship it out for processing.

bitnaut
23-Oct-2012, 19:49
I thought vistek.ca had some in its online catalog...

Eric Rose
23-Oct-2012, 20:17
I'd rather give up photography than deal with Vistek.

WayneStevenson
23-Oct-2012, 22:58
I forgot to spread the word. I was in touch with Beau Photo in B.C. last month. They're carrying C-41 and E-6 kits now.

Arista E-6 1qt: 53.95
Arista C-41 1qt: 44.45

Tetenal kits were going to be stocked as well.

C-41 1L Kit $46.51
C-41 5L Kit $78.13

E6 1L Kit $69.70
E6 5L Kit $113.96

Keep in mind pricing may have changed. Contact Nicole if you want to order or get current pricing.

Steve Goldstein
24-Oct-2012, 04:20
What's the keeping life of E6 kits? I've a lot of 4x5 chrome film in the freezer...

WayneStevenson
24-Oct-2012, 11:01
I don't have any experience with those concentrates myself. My Kodak chemicals last indefinately, and I have kept C-41 powdered kits for over a year after mixing and using with no visible quality loss.

southmine
24-Oct-2012, 19:09
I thought vistek.ca had some in its online catalog...

I deal with them occasionally, and never had a problem, but they seem to have completely abandoned anything film related in the past year or so.

I forgot to spread the word. I was in touch with Beau Photo in B.C. last month. They're carrying C-41 and E-6 kits now.

Arista E-6 1qt: 53.95
Arista C-41 1qt: 44.45

Tetenal kits were going to be stocked as well.

C-41 1L Kit $46.51
C-41 5L Kit $78.13

E6 1L Kit $69.70
E6 5L Kit $113.96

Keep in mind pricing may have changed. Contact Nicole if you want to order or get current pricing.

I spent about a week trying to track down anyone who sold the kits too, and ended up with Beau Photo being the only place I could find.
The kits were quite a bit more expensive than anywhere else (Freestyle/Firstcall) but it was the shipping cost to Ontario that was the deal killer for me.
Still looking :-(.

WayneStevenson
24-Oct-2012, 20:13
What were they charging for shipping?

Teodor Oprean
24-Oct-2012, 20:16

:D

I know whereof you speak. I like how you expressed the thought.

Teodor Oprean
24-Oct-2012, 20:25
It looks like Vistek is no longer interested in supplying products for the film market. Their website is almost entirely oriented towards digital products. I've noticed this past week that Vistek listed a few large format lenses for sale on ebay. I'm guessing those lenses were probably in their rental department. In the worst case scenario, it will be necessary to import color processing chemicals from the US.

http://freestylephoto.biz/c1000-Color-Chemicals

southmine
25-Oct-2012, 13:00
What were they charging for shipping?

$26 for the Arista E-6 1 quart kit, and I may have to re-do the math now.
That works out to about $90.35 after taxes, or 2.80 per sheet of 4X5 (Arseni at Beau says about 32 sheets per kit).

However,the few labs I've found since in Canada charge from $3 to $4 per sheet, and even the cheapest in the States is $2.50 (before shipping).
The Tetanal kits weren't available then either, so a 5 Litre kit is looking very attractive right now.

WayneStevenson
25-Oct-2012, 13:19
You will find that it usually isn't feasible to order single items from anywhere other than China. So when you order, it is always best to place a big order. Your shipping price per item goes way down.

Ari
25-Oct-2012, 16:40
I order two Tetenal C-41 kits every month or so from B&H.
Total cost, including shipping to Canada and in-store customs brokerage, comes to about $60.
Obviously, were I to order more quantity, the price per unit would go down.

Gord Robinson
5-Nov-2012, 21:32
Sean - I have some extra 10L E6 chemistry if you are interested and can probably get you set up with the stuff I don't have. Drop me a PM if you are still looking for it.

Gord
Calgary

SeanEsopenko
6-Nov-2012, 18:16
It looks like my e-mail settings for the forum aren't set properly, I had no clue people were responding to this. I e-mailed the folks at Beau Photo to see if they can ship E6 to Calgary. I've contacted freestylephoto previously and they told me they won't ship to Canada due to the chemicals being ORMD. The stuff can be shipped ground with the correct paperwork but they don't want to go through the trouble.

Gord I'll send you a PM.