PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Right time.

Ajd2k8
23-Oct-2012, 05:00
Hi Guys,

Okay iv toyed with the idea of going to a Large format 5x4 Camera for over a year now.

But it seems the last couple of weeks im now about 75% sure.. the other 25% is if i invest in all the equipment will the film still be there next year without having to spend a fortune and freezing most of it.

Thanks.

Jiri Vasina
23-Oct-2012, 05:12
Well, I think that at least BW film will be there the next decade, or even longer... if we keep using it...
(colour film might be a little different...)

You could invest much more in digital gear, and next year have almost nothing - because of the digital gear being "morally obsolete"...

I'd say go for it...

Jiri

Cletus
23-Oct-2012, 05:14
I think you'll be okay on film for the foreseeable future, especially for 4x5, as long as you plan to shoot Ilford FP4+ or HP5+. That's all I can speak to from experience, but 4x5 and 8x10 will probably outlast most other large formats. Not sure about color film, there's still some out there but it's beginning to dwindle. Kodak's future, as we all know by now, is uncertain.

jp
23-Oct-2012, 06:01
Now's the time (for used equipment especially).

I can forsee B&W film being around for quite a while, sorta like you can still buy horse saddles, black powder revolvers (in the US), etc.. If not, you can still make plates.

chassis
23-Oct-2012, 06:18
If you want to experience large format photography, then go for it.

John Kasaian
23-Oct-2012, 06:21
If you want to shoot LF, then do it.
If you wait, you'll only kick yourself for not taking it up sooner.

Ajd2k8
23-Oct-2012, 06:57
I'm mainly after colour slide / colour negative film.

I guess I might have to shop around and buy bulk.

Frank Petronio
23-Oct-2012, 07:28
Color negative film is much more likely to be available longer than chrome/slide film. You can buy a huge supply but once new production stops, the commercial processing options will cease within a certain period afterwards (perhaps a year or so?). After that, you'd have to process color yourself, which somewhat more involved than simple B&W processing.

Personally I wouldn't buy more than a year's supply of color film for that reason, as I am unwilling to process color myself. And buying consistently rather than hoarding is a way to show the manufacturer that there is a steady demand, so you're helping to keep the products viable.

Color film is somewhat tied to movie film production, and while trends are taking the film industry towards digital, there is a still a hardcore demand for real film. Yet Kodak is bankrupt and both Kodak and Fuji are dropping products frequently. So we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I doubt we will have color film in 5 to 10 years.

I will still shoot B&W and process at home since that is easier for me. B&W film can be manufactured on a smaller scale so there should be at least one viable manufacturer that continues for another generation at least, there certainly seems to be plenty of demand from the art and hobby market.

If I were getting into large format I would look for "value" rather than spending thousands on some exotic camera. This makes sense not only because the future prospects may be limited, but it just makes good sense from the point of view of trying a new technique/media out. Luckily, you can purchase many fine outfits for under $1000 USd, and if you do your homework, $500 is not unrealistic. I have top-of-the-line professional 4x5 gear and my total investment is still less than a new 70-210/2.8 lens.

Brian C. Miller
23-Oct-2012, 12:24
Ajd2k8, the most important question for you to answer is why you want LF. I got into LF because I wanted movements, and I bought a 4x5 Super Graphic for less than the cost of a shift-tilt lens. In fact, every LF camera I've bought has been less than the price of a shift-tilt lens. Could I have done better? Yeah, by starting out with LF instead of MF.

+1 on what Frank said about film. Kodak has dropped all E-6, so that leaves Fuji as the only player for that game. Fuji has made some cutbacks on that front, but there's still lots of Provia and Velvia for sale. There is no such thing as LF bulk, though. Buy what you need as you need it. Some of the members here have a couple of decades worth of film stored, but I don't know the chemicals will be available to process it will be available two decades from now. Sure, you'll pay a bit more in film, but you won't be stuck with $20,000 in frozen film that can't be processed.

While your interest is in color, start with black & white. It's far cheaper, and you can process it at home while you're learning how to use the camera. There is a bit of a learning curve, but if you just take the thing and work with it, then the curve isn't very steep at all.

cowanw
23-Oct-2012, 12:39
Sorry you have missed the window of opportunity by 6 months. He who hesitates is lost!:confused:
I guarantee film will be here next year, but will you be?
Life is short: Worry less about the future.

Hi Guys,

Okay iv toyed with the idea of going to a Large format 5x4 Camera for over a year now.

But it seems the last couple of weeks im now about 75% sure.. the other 25% is if i invest in all the equipment will the film still be there next year without having to spend a fortune and freezing most of it.

Thanks.

Alan Gales
23-Oct-2012, 19:19
If you are into black and white photography I would highly recommend shooting large format. I would get into it cheap and learn all you can. You may like sheet film and you may not. If you don't then you won't get hurt very much if at all if you sell. If you become hooked like the rest of us you can always buy that expensive camera later. At least by then you will have a better idea what you want.

If you are a strictly color guy only, well who knows the future of color film? We are all guessing but it doesn't look good. Reread what Frank Petronio said.

I think black and white film will exist for a long time. You can still paint with oils, buy saddles for horses and shoot black powder muskets even though we now have acrylic paints, automobiles and rifles that use bullets.

Professional
24-Oct-2012, 05:34
Well, i had that question last year even i bought LF in 2010, i wasn't sure if that was a good idea to go with LF when i see more films are dying mostly colors, but since i got my MF and then did shot film first time in 2010 then develop B&W by myself i was impressed by the process, since then i decided to give film more test and shoot, but when i keep reading about LF and seeing many examples about the quality against MF, i didn't stop myself to buy one or even 2, no 3 LFs, i did shoot 5 sheets and one is lost due to multi-exposure by mistake, but when i scan them.....WOW, they came out a lot higher details then MF and even the scan was so easy without adjusting as i do many times with some MF rolls.

Well, i don't care if i came late to LF world, i am happy i did at least, and i bought enough bulks of colors that can last for 2-4 years if i shoot about 15-40 sheets per year, we have a lab that can process any film up to 8x10, but they told me that with 4x5/8x10 if i shoot with color negatives then i should submit minimum 15-20 sheets, they don't do less than 10 at once, that kills my interest for color negs, good i have only one box of Ektar, but all the rest are about say 85% B&W and 15% colors, only 1 box of color neg of Ektar and the other color sheets are slides.

Brian Ellis
24-Oct-2012, 06:31
Clearly some kind of film made by some company and sold at some price to be processed by some labs somewhere will be there next year and for the foreseeable future. But the kinds of film, the companies making it, and the labs to process have been disappearing for the last 20 or so years while the price has been going up and there's no end in sight. Personally I wouldn't get into a dying industry like that if I wasn't already into it. But if you want to do it and can afford it why not? It's not like you'll wake up one morning and see that overnight everything related to film disappeared.

Pawlowski6132
24-Oct-2012, 07:07
Who cares how long it will be around for? It's here now. Use it.

CP Goerz
24-Oct-2012, 07:10
Well the last Kodachrome processing place closed up shop and that was how many years after Kodak stopped making it? Kodachrome was a very tricky film to both make and develop so with a much simpler C-41 process I think we have a far brighter and more colorful future :-) Besides, how many photographers actually shot Kodachrome compared to Kodacolor?