PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Copal Shutter - Does not fire / close down

mamypoko
23-Oct-2012, 02:01
Hi guys,

Got myself a Sinar Shutter recently for cheap, and now the problem is the shutter blades don't want to close down / fire when the lever is up, it does close down when I try to depress the shutter but it doesn't fire even at the widest aperture setting.

I managed to fire off the shutter once before it became like this.

The shutter speed selection lever does seem a bit stiff when selecting the faster speeds.

Any tips?

Thanks!

pierre506
24-Oct-2012, 16:57
No tips.
It needs the repair.
Or, you can buy a same one and open them up, compare them.
Then you might find the problem and repair IT.
Good luck.

Leonard Robertson
25-Oct-2012, 07:37
It does sound like it needs a clean and lube. I suppose anyone competent to work on leaf shutters can do a Sinar. This guy http://www.flickr.com/photos/jones-ben/sets/72157626113820180/ may either inspire you or scare you into sending it to someone. Good luck!

Len

Ken Lee
25-Oct-2012, 07:47
Are you sure you've set the aperture to the lowest setting ? Sometimes having the aperture set to any other setting, will prevent the shutter from opening and closing.

evan clarke
25-Oct-2012, 14:47
It must be set to the largest aperture if you're not using DB lenses..

Amedeus
25-Oct-2012, 17:39
What do you exactly mean with "lever is up" ?

Are you sure you're using the right connection for the shutter cable release ? One of the cable openings (side) will close the shutter with the proper back-to-copal shutter cable connection. This one will also close the shutter (as designed) but won't trip it. That cable release slot is to make sure the shutter closes when you put a filmholder in the back and takes a custom cable.

The correct opening to attach your shutter cable release to is the one on the corner bottom from the copal shutter. (The other one I talked about above is at the side of the same corner)

THe shutter speed selection lever does become stiffer selecting faster speeds. Normal as you'r applying more pressure on a spring internally.

Hi guys,

Got myself a Sinar Shutter recently for cheap, and now the problem is the shutter blades don't want to close down / fire when the lever is up, it does close down when I try to depress the shutter but it doesn't fire even at the widest aperture setting.

I managed to fire off the shutter once before it became like this.

The shutter speed selection lever does seem a bit stiff when selecting the faster speeds.

Any tips?

Thanks!

pierre506
25-Oct-2012, 20:46
What do you exactly mean with "lever is up" ?

Are you sure you're using the right connection for the shutter cable release ? One of the cable openings (side) will close the shutter with the proper back-to-copal shutter cable connection. This one will also close the shutter (as designed) but won't trip it. That cable release slot is to make sure the shutter closes when you put a filmholder in the back and takes a custom cable.

The correct opening to attach your shutter cable release to is the one on the corner bottom from the copal shutter. (The other one I talked about above is at the side of the same corner)

THe shutter speed selection lever does become stiffer selecting faster speeds. Normal as you'r applying more pressure on a spring internally.

Yep, the Sinar Auto shutter should be connecting with the special (original) Sinar release.
It's very important.

Amedeus
25-Oct-2012, 22:27
Absolutely right Pierre ... the Sinar shutter release needs to have a throw of 39-40mm and that in turn means a real Sinar cable as I don't know any third party shutter releases that have adequate throw.

Cables with insufficient throw will close the shutter but not fire it. Equally so, when your Sinar shutter release is wearing out or has a worn out plunger, then it is possible to have occasional misfires ... I learned that the hard way.

Yep, the Sinar Auto shutter should be connecting with the special (original) Sinar release.
It's very important.

mamypoko
26-Oct-2012, 03:28
Hey guys! I managed to fix the shutter, one of the hooks near the slow speed gears went out of position inside the shutter assembly which in turn jammed everything else up. I don't have the cable release yet but am still looking for one!

evan clarke
26-Oct-2012, 05:15
Hey guys! I managed to fix the shutter, one of the hooks near the slow speed gears went out of position inside the shutter assembly which in turn jammed everything else up. I don't have the cable release yet but am still looking for one!

The cables are the Achilles' Heel...very scarce..

rdenney
26-Oct-2012, 07:21
The cables are still available from Sinar. Bring your checkbook.

Rick "a cheap Sinar shutter with no cable is not cheap at all" Denney