PDA

View Full Version : What do you tape your film holders with?

sully75
22-Oct-2012, 11:44
I have some 5x7 filmholders that need new tape. I replaced some tape with Gaffer's tape, but it didn't really stick well enough. It's also a little stiff to fold nicely. Recently I've had some fogging on that side of the holder too. Not sure if it's related.

Anyway, any suggestions for tape? I was wondering about Gorilla brand duct tape.

Paul

big_ben_blue
22-Oct-2012, 11:49
hockey tape ... cheap and works perfectly (at least for me).

Vaughn
22-Oct-2012, 11:50
I am using gaffers tape -- but hope to get some bookbinders tape as a more permanent fix.

The tape should not affect the light-tightness -- the baffles should take care of that.

E. von Hoegh
22-Oct-2012, 12:23
Bookbinder's tape, it's what originally was used.

IanG
22-Oct-2012, 13:15
I use off-cuts of shutter curtain or bellows material - it's thin, light-tight, very flexible, and strong. If I had no shutter cloth or bellows material I'd use bookbinding tape.

Ian

Scott Davis
22-Oct-2012, 13:30
X2 on bookbinder's tape. You can get a 100' roll of the stuff at most art supply stores. It's a heavy black fabric tape that is (relatively) easy to cut in a straight line. Typically what I do is measure the length I need, cut it, then stick it down on one side, pulling it tight and square, then cut the excess off with an xacto scalpel type blade. A standard roll of the tape should yield two hinges from a single width of tape for smaller size holders (6.5x8.5, 5x7) and one hinge for larger, non-standard holders like ULF formats. 8x10 might still fall in the smaller size, but I'm not sure as it has been a long time since I re-taped any 8x10 holders.

Fotoguy20d
22-Oct-2012, 16:09
I've used black duct tape and I've used gaffer's tape.

Dan

jnantz
22-Oct-2012, 16:47
i am not sure if you still live near boston these days,
but the harcourt bindery will sell you bookbinders tape
if you can't find it at a craft shop ( or you want " the good stuff " )

http://www.harcourtbindery.com/

they are in charlestown now ..
and if you ever find your self remotely interested in book making
they will be able to sell you cloth, leather, tools, book board and string as well as anything
else you might be able to think of ...

i bought cloth from them before they relocated ... nice folks ..

I have some 5x7 filmholders that need new tape. I replaced some tape with Gaffer's tape, but it didn't really stick well enough. It's also a little stiff to fold nicely. Recently I've had some fogging on that side of the holder too. Not sure if it's related.

Anyway, any suggestions for tape? I was wondering about Gorilla brand duct tape.

Paul

John Kasaian
22-Oct-2012, 16:54
Gaffer's tape. But when I run out I'll take john nanian's advice and switch to book binder's tape.
I've never had a problem with gaffer's tape not sticking but I clean all the old adhesive off before I reinstall the flap. The downside of gaffer's tape I've noticed is that its too stiff. I have to hold the flap down while loading film or it will shut on it's own accord (after a dozen or so loadings it becomes more flexible though)

John Koehrer
23-Oct-2012, 13:15
Another bookbinders tape endorser.