PDA

View Full Version : Home-made (?) 4x5 TLR with six (6) lenses on two (2) turrets

Dan Fromm
21-Oct-2012, 07:40
http://cgi.ebay.fr/chambre-artisanale-6-objectifs-/230868211375?pt=FR_Photo_cam%C3%A9scopes_Accessoires_anciens&hash=item35c0d156af

Steven Tribe
21-Oct-2012, 08:30
This deserves more than just a single photo!
Viewing lens at the bottom is a good idea. How do the various taking lenses fit light tight into the single shutter?

Sevo
21-Oct-2012, 09:02
Probably not home made, but one of a kind or a very small series. With that angled finder, probably part of a vertical reproduction system. But TLRs were very common as a component in photogrammetric mugshot systems as well - many makers (of regular LF cameras as well as of reconnaissance and geometric equipment) sold them to European police forces.

Jody_S
21-Oct-2012, 09:04
Wow! I wonder if that ever worked. Someone could buy that and make a significant profit reselling those lenses. I won't because it's 10kg and it's in France. Plus, I would be tempted to keep it and try to get it working.

LaurentB
21-Oct-2012, 09:57
Wow! I wonder if that ever worked. Someone could buy that and make a significant profit reselling those lenses. I won't because it's 10kg and it's in France. Plus, I would be tempted to keep it and try to get it working.
The text says it was home made (or made in a small shop), and that the shutter works when it feels like working...

Jody_S
21-Oct-2012, 13:19
The text says it was home made (or made in a small shop), and that the shutter works when it feels like working...

Yes, as it happens I'm perfectly fluent in French. I got that, I'm just looking at the turret arrangement with the taking lenses. It seems that there is only one shutter, and the turret rotates the lenses in such a way that they're not in any way attached to that shutter. I don't know how well that arrangement would work. I suppose if the whole thing is machined to a decent standard, there shouldn't be much play in the turret, or a gap between it and the shutter. Hopefully it also has click stops to make sure the taking lens is properly centered, and of course apertures should be in the lens so that's not a problem. There's no way to judge any of that from a single photo on eBay.

As for the shutter being intermittent, from here it looks like the whole shutter could be changed in a matter of minutes, with another with the same threading. Unless, of course, the maker has drilled through it and bolted it in.