PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao Tachihara or neither

Sam
16-Mar-2004, 22:28
I have just returned from a trip to California carrying a Speed Graphic two lens outfit. The lack of movements became very evident to me during this trip not to mention the weight. I beleive I am ready to upgrade frome my speed and In my price range ($600-800) my options seem to be the Shen Hao, Tachihara, Toyou CF. Of the above three the Shen seems to have the most movements while almost as heavy as my speed graphic.

I could use some advice from those of you have used the cameras.

I carry a Graphic 23 back with me and use it quite alot. The shen is supposed to have a grafloc back. Will I still be able to use my 6x9 back.

Is the focusing hood good? Is there any protection for the GG? Does the back rotate? Is it worth purchasing the focussing hood or just use a dark cloth?

...Or would the Tachihara be better.

Thanks in advance. SP

kw
16-Mar-2004, 22:32
I have a chance to "play" with both of the cameras. In the end, I give credit to Tachihara. You may loose out in the rear shift, but depending on what type of photography you are doing, it's not an issue. In my case, landscape.

An added advantage is that Tachihara focusing screen is very bright.

Graeme Hird
16-Mar-2004, 22:39
I have the Tachi, and I love it. Focusing is easy due to the fresnel screen being standard issue. There is enough movement freedom for my choice of subject (landscapes) and the camera is rigid enough.

You don't mention which lenses you favour, but I'll assume they are the shorter ones, given your current camera. Anything beyond 300mm in a normal design is a problem. I use 75mm to 270mm lenses without restriction.

If budget is your problem, try the second-hand market. You'll get more for your dollar that way.

Cheers, Graeme

Tony Galt
16-Mar-2004, 23:14
I use a Shen Hao. Indeed it is a bit heavier than the Tachihara (I compared them first hand when I bought--I live within easy driving distance of Badger Graphic Sales, a dealer which handles both), but it does have more movements, and it does allow an interchangeable bellows. Given its configuration of movements (the back has both center and base tilt and it is possible to use them against each other creating about an inch of extra extension). I believe that it is possible to get a bit more bellows extension than with the Tachihara. The back takes Graphic roll film backs just fine. I use lenses from a 90 mm to a 300 mm tele. Of course shorter lenses than 90 will work and there is a recessed lensboard (and a bag bellows) available for them. In my inspection of the two cameras I felt that the Shen Hao, while less gaudy than the Tachihara with its red finish and brass plated hardware, was just marginally better built. It does not have a fresnel screen as standard issue, but one is available from Badger. I've done OK without one. I haven't tried the Shen Hao focusing hood, but I can't imagine that it would be as good as just using a dark cloth, especially since the use of a loupe would be impeded. I found some thin fairly stiff foam rubber and cut an insert out of it to cover and protect the ground glass. I believe there are also some inexpensive plastic ground glass protectors available. The back unclips and can be turned 90 degrees and reclipped. This takes about 10 seconds.

I've enjoyed using it and would recommend it.

John Hoang
17-Mar-2004, 02:41
The Tachihara does not have a Graflock back. The Shen Hao will let you use your 6x9 back.

Shen Hao focusing hood is not as well built as Graphic hood but it will let you swing to the side to focus with a loupe.

Walter Foscari
17-Mar-2004, 07:35
I have been using a Shen for a while now. And I am more than satisfied given the cost of the camera. I love the fact that it is very solid and steady once set up. It has plenty of movements, interchangeable bellows, and it looks quite elegant with good quality finishes. Main problem: the ground glass is not bright at all (no fresnel supplied) and the “hot spot” with wide angle lenses makes it very hard to compose. I’ve already planned to upgrade to a Bettie or Maxwell.

Gem Singer
17-Mar-2004, 07:59
Hi Sam,

Since you are up-grading from a Speed Graphic and want more movement capability, the Shen Hao HZX 45AII is a good choice. It has more features than the Tachihara or the Toyo 45CF. The Toyo has no movements on the rear (the same as the Speed Graphic). It is made of plastic (carbon fiber)making it lighter weight. The Tachi has no interchangeable bellows, nor rear rise and shift, but it is a lighter weight camera and has a brighter viewing screen.

No matter which of these three cameras you decide upon, check with Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com). He sells all three, and is knowledgeable and easy to deal with. He sells the Shen Hao for $599, including a lensboard and a carrying case. The Tachi and the Toyo are the same price, but no carrying case.

david clark
17-Mar-2004, 08:16
Hi Eugene, I saw and played with the Toyo 45CF, at first attractive for its lightness it seemed to me after thinking about it, it would be a step down from my Crown Graflex.

Gem Singer
17-Mar-2004, 08:31
I certainly agree, David. The Toyo 45CF is on the bottom of my list.

The Tachi seems to have the best build quality of the three, but dollar-for- dollar, ounce-for-ounce, the Shen Hao has the most features. I would purchase the bag bellows and a brightening screen if I were going to buy another Shen Hao (sold the one I had).

CXC
17-Mar-2004, 08:49
I also was dissatisfied with a Crown Graphic, which I consequently upgraded to a Shen-Hao, with which I was quite pleased. Eventually I upgraded again, at 2.5 times the price (to a Walker).

Given that it accepts 2x3 backs, and has greater movements, the Shen-Hao would be the logical choice for your needs. Also it is both more attractive and less attention-grabbing, IMHO. However they are both fine cameras at bargain prices.

Badger Graphic has recently started carrying their own 'Badger Brand' line of 4x5's, both a monorail and a wood field, within your price range. Given their impeccable reputation, they are definitely worth checking out. Talk to Jeff for details.

In general, I don't like focussing hoods, at least those that cost under $500 (I wouldn't know about those over $500!). The BTZS tubular hood works quite well, and though overpriced, is within range. If you shoot a lot in windy conditions, a solution other than a big square of cloth *is* attractive.

Michael E. Gordon
17-Mar-2004, 10:04
The focusing hood acts as the GG protector. Since the Shen Hao does not come equipped with a fresnel, the glass is too dim to try and do much more than rough composing with the focusing hood.

If you get the Shen Hao, I would not recommend wasting the money on the focusing hood. Make yourself a GG protector of foamcore or something similar.

Ralph Barker
17-Mar-2004, 10:30
The Shen Hao folding focusing hood appears to be a copy of the similar accessory that Toyo makes for their metal 4x5 field cams. From my experience with the Toyo, I can attest to the fact that it is only marginally useful as an actual focusing hood. As a ground-glass protector, however, it's great, and has the added advantage of always being conveniently present - no fumbling with an extra piece or trying to figure out where to put it once your head is under the cloth. If it functions like the Toyo hood, it should swing out of the way, if needed.

Robert C. McColloch
17-Mar-2004, 11:36
I have been using a Tachihara 4x5 for over 22 years and am more than satified with it capabilities. It is light and folds nicely for field work. I recently bought the current model with the adjustable back that better faciltates the set up for a wide angle lens. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I tried a Shen Ho for a short period but returned it. If you decide to buy one I've found Badger Graphic to be easy to do business with and with competive prices.

Larry Gebhardt
17-Mar-2004, 12:19
I have the Shen-Hao and like it very much. For a ground glass protector you can also get the plexyglass one from Badger for about $20. It is U shaped and very easy to afix and quick to remove. This works much better than the focus hood I had on my Graphic View. If you get it, put a piece of tape on the outside edge to protect the cameras finish.

Ken Lee
17-Mar-2004, 15:30
I used to have a Tachihara. When carrying it around in a lightweight soda can cooler, I just used my dark-cloth as a groundglass protector: Just wrap the whole camera in the cloth, protecting it from scratches, etc.

Ken Lee
17-Mar-2004, 15:32
I used a Fujinon 400T on the Tachihara, and others here have used it on the Shen Hao. Just make sure to avoid vibration, since the whole rig is so light.