PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 55 problem

gliderbee
20-Oct-2012, 03:40
I have some packs of Polaroid 55 4x5 and sometimes (not always, but often), when I want to take a picture and I try to pull the "enveloppe" to expose the sheet, the enveloppe will not come out: it's as if the metal bar that locks the whole sheet in the holder does not want to "let go" of the enveloppe. If I pull harder, the metal bar gives in and the whole sheet comes out; if I'm not aware of that, I'm
"exposing" the inside of the holder (545i) instead of the film inside the sheet.

Does anybody has the same problem ? I have the impression (but not sure at all) it happens less with my metal holder then with the 545i, but I don't see what the holder can have to do with it.

Any solutions ?

Thanks,
Stefan.

Vaughn
20-Oct-2012, 08:00
The film and the paper packaging have become stuck together...probably due to a bit of moisture over time. It has happened to me. By wiggling the package a bit before putting it into the holder can free it up. (Grab the metal piece and move the rest of the package side-to-side.)

RawheaD
20-Oct-2012, 08:12
The negative is sticking to the paper; happens often with old 45 polaroids.
If the condition isn't severe, I've found that you can massage the film (obviously not where the chemical pouch is), flex it back and forth, left and right.

In a dark place, load the film, and slowly pull out the envelope just enough to see if the metal tab is disengaging as it should. If so, push the envelope back and set that film aside as "useable"; repeat process.

Now, if the condition is severe, and no amount of fiddling around with it from the outside is letting the negative detach from the paper, you need to do something a bit more drastic. Here's the process. You'll need a darkroom or a darkbag.

1. Under complete dark situation, carefully spread the metal tab wide and detach it from the film; the metal tab is clinging to the porous edge of the negative. There's going to be some resistance but not much if you spread the tab far enough.

2. Stick your fingers in the envelope (better with gloves on) on both sides of the negative and push out on the envelope so that whereever the negative is sticking to the paper gets disengaged.

3. Pull on the porous edge part of the negative to make sure there is no resistance and that the negative slides in and out easily.

4. Now put the metal tab back on the negative. Make sure the edge of the film is tucked all the way in the middle of the tab, and squeeze the tab tightly. It helps if you have a pair of pliers or something to really squeeze hard so that the metal tab has a firm grip on the film

5. Slowly slide the film + metal tab back into the envelope. The metal tab will need to be spread just a little bit near the edges so that the edge of the envelope can slide in and out. This is important because at the very end, when you pull out the film from the holder to develop, you want to make sure that the negative stays where it should (aligned with the paper).

I've salvaged quite a few 4x5 Polas with this method.

It really helps if you have access to a dark "box" like I do that is equipped with an infrared camera & monitor so that you can "see" yourself during this process.

Good luck, and let me know if I can explain this better; it's hard to describe these things verbally :LOL: I've had to explain this to a couple people recently; I might decide to make a quick YouTube video ...

jcoldslabs
20-Oct-2012, 14:02
I had a faulty or worn 545 holder that stopped solidly "hooking" the metal bar. I have had the moisture adhesion issue as well, but switching to another holder solved the problem for me with Polaroids and other Quick/ReadyLoads, too.

Jonathan

gliderbee
21-Oct-2012, 02:43
Thanks everybody for the explanations; I'll give it a try (probably this evening).

@Rawhead: your explanation is very clear; only at 5. I'm not sure, but I guess it will become clear while trying. I might sacrifice one of the oldest sheets to see what exactly happens when pulling in and out.

The negative is sticking to the paper; happens often with old 45 polaroids.
If the condition isn't severe, I've found that you can massage the film (obviously not where the chemical pouch is), flex it back and forth, left and right.

In a dark place, load the film, and slowly pull out the envelope just enough to see if the metal tab is disengaging as it should. If so, push the envelope back and set that film aside as "useable"; repeat process.

Now, if the condition is severe, and no amount of fiddling around with it from the outside is letting the negative detach from the paper, you need to do something a bit more drastic. Here's the process. You'll need a darkroom or a darkbag.

1. Under complete dark situation, carefully spread the metal tab wide and detach it from the film; the metal tab is clinging to the porous edge of the negative. There's going to be some resistance but not much if you spread the tab far enough.

2. Stick your fingers in the envelope (better with gloves on) on both sides of the negative and push out on the envelope so that whereever the negative is sticking to the paper gets disengaged.

3. Pull on the porous edge part of the negative to make sure there is no resistance and that the negative slides in and out easily.

4. Now put the metal tab back on the negative. Make sure the edge of the film is tucked all the way in the middle of the tab, and squeeze the tab tightly. It helps if you have a pair of pliers or something to really squeeze hard so that the metal tab has a firm grip on the film

5. Slowly slide the film + metal tab back into the envelope. The metal tab will need to be spread just a little bit near the edges so that the edge of the envelope can slide in and out. This is important because at the very end, when you pull out the film from the holder to develop, you want to make sure that the negative stays where it should (aligned with the paper).

I've salvaged quite a few 4x5 Polas with this method.

It really helps if you have access to a dark "box" like I do that is equipped with an infrared camera & monitor so that you can "see" yourself during this process.

Good luck, and let me know if I can explain this better; it's hard to describe these things verbally :LOL: I've had to explain this to a couple people recently; I might decide to make a quick YouTube video ...

RawheaD
22-Oct-2012, 16:28
Here you go, I made a video of the process. I hope it helps :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=medFzqRz-kY

amac212
23-Oct-2012, 05:33
Here you go, I made a video of the process. I hope it helps :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=medFzqRz-kY

Wow, thanks Rawhead. I too have had this issue over the years with older sheets. I have to say I've got a box of these stubborn sheets that I refuse to 'throw out'. Every now and then, I'll grab a few, softly hammer the metal tabs (that get bent as I've yanked the envelope with all my might) and try again to no avail.

I am going to give this a go!

gliderbee
26-Oct-2012, 10:37
Great video, thanks!
I didn't have to go that route yet, but someday it will be useful for me.

Stefan.