View Full Version : Graflex Back Confusion

19-Oct-2012, 19:03
I have a 4x5 Super D with a back that I can't figure out. It's a cross between a spring back or graflok and a Graflex back, I suppose. It takes graphic grafmatics and roll film holders, not Graflex ones. But, it lacks graflok hooks, and requires slotted holders. It has adjustable rails both top and bottom instead of a fixed rail like a Graflex back on the bottom. So, what is it?


19-Oct-2012, 19:39
There are these things called "photos" that you can upload to forums like this that tend to help in these situations. Have you heard of it? :)

19-Oct-2012, 20:12
Is your camera back like this one http://www.graflex.org/articles/series-d/

19-Oct-2012, 20:52
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. It's an odd thing. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't either a homemade mod or maybe a factory special. The camera dates from 1947 so its not a graflok (since they didn't start making these with graflok until the mid 50s). It looks like the graflex backs, but, the light trap is the single groove of a spring/graflok back. A graflex gramatic or roll film holder won't fit - its too wide. A graphic film holder (roll or grafmatic) drops right in. As does a Polaroid 405, but the sliders wont go over the edges, they're too tall.


6-Feb-2013, 10:28
Here's what this back looks like. Anyone have any thoughts as to what this is? Note that the grafmatic is a graphic model, not a graflex. More photos on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52276513@N03/sets/72157632700436703/)


http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8451309168_1b9dc61e39_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52276513@N03/8451309168/)
P1010095 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52276513@N03/8451309168/) by Fotoguy20d (http://www.flickr.com/people/52276513@N03/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8451309116_02a9a1ea66_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52276513@N03/8451309116/)
P1010098 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52276513@N03/8451309116/) by Fotoguy20d (http://www.flickr.com/people/52276513@N03/), on Flickr

6-Feb-2013, 10:59
hi dan

its a graflex back


the pre-curser to the graflok back ...

have fun !

Dan Fromm
6-Feb-2013, 10:59
Dan, two sliders on inclined ramps and the groove to the right of the gate make it a Graflok. Absence of the pins to hold a Graflok focusing panel makes it a heterodox Graflok, quite possibly homebrew. I could well be mistaken, but I don't think the gate should be surrounded by painted wood. I don't have a Super D, have an RB Ser. B with Graflex back and its back is painted brass sheet.

Ask on www.graflex.org



Miguel Coquis
6-Feb-2013, 11:00
...grafloc 4x5" camera back will do !