PDA

View Full Version : DIY mounting Eastman Ektar lens Elements?

yronnen
19-Oct-2012, 15:18
Many years ago I bought some 14" Eastman Ektar lens Elements. They date from 1942. The intention was to find a Ilex 5 universal shutter to put them into. That is if I could find one that I could afford. 10+ years later it still has not happened. To be honest their has not been a huge incentive for me to look too hard as I have other good lenses I have been able to use at roughly that focal length. I have for instance a 15" f6 Series IIIb Cooke Aviar which performs pretty well.

Even if I had the money, which I have not. I cannot justify really spending anything much to duplicate a facility I already have available to me. Well sort of like having two hammers of the same weight but just a slightly different shape.

I think about 5 years ago somebody asked a similar question on this Forum. In his case it was 14" Commercial Ektar Elements. Was it possible to mount them in PVC pipe with Waterhouse stops etc? I think he was talked out of it. Persuaded to do the job properly but I want to do it. Otherwise I know they will languish in the desk drawer for another 10 years. I think he was told the spacing was 50mm between the elements.

Does anybody know for sure if the Eastman Ektar is the same please?

Any advice regarding Waterhouse stops would be greatly appreciated please. Is their any merit in having different shaped holes in the Waterhouse stops. Star shaped ? Triangular? Is that a silly idea?
Is it possible to buy ready made ones?

I would like to thank you in anticipation of any trouble you take on my behalf
Roger

Jon Shiu
19-Oct-2012, 15:22
Yes, the fellow made a barrel mount out of wood and constructed waterhouse stops himself. The 14" Ektar is the same as the Commercial Ektar, but a few years older.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?37419-The-barrel-fo-my-14-quot-Ektar!!&highlight=ektar+wood

Jon

yronnen
19-Oct-2012, 15:29
Out of wood that is inspired. I would never have considered that. I suppose the middle part of the barrel does not even have to be round either unless I am missing something .Just the ends.

Jim Jones
20-Oct-2012, 05:12
Rather than a cylindrical barrel, consider a rectangular one that will accomocate a sliding plate with all waterhouse stops in one piece of metal or whatever material. Check http://www.skgrimes.com/library/used-obsolete-discontinued-shutters/ilex#specsheet for shutter diminsions. You may have to fabricate a jig for holding lens elements parallel to the lens board if you thread them directly into wood.

yronnen
23-Oct-2012, 08:29
Thank you Jon and Jim. I like the idea of a rectangular barrel. The Waterhouse stops could then be slotted into the barrel like dark slides into a holder. I also like the idea of a sliding plate with all the holes in the one piece of material. However at full aperture the waterhose stop would have to be at least 2.22 inches in diameter. Each stop centre would I suspect have to be at least 2.5 inches apart. The piece of material with the holes in would end up being rather long perhaps 15-18inches long. Not necessarily a deal breaker but perhaps two pieces with three apertures each might be a better option. I am also considering wheel stops. One advantage, actually the only one really that I can think of for making your own mount for this lens is that one can make a stop for f64 which others have complained that Kodak omitted.

yronnen
23-Oct-2012, 08:39
Thank you Jon and Jim. I like the idea of a rectangular barrel. The Waterhouse stops could then be slotted into the barrel like dark slides into a holder. I also like the idea of a sliding plate with all the holes in the one piece of material. However at full aperture the waterhose stop would have to be at least 2.22 inches in diameter. Each stop centre would I suspect have to be at least 2.5 inches apart. The piece of material with the holes in would end up being rather long perhaps 15-18inches long. Not necessarily a deal breaker but perhaps two pieces with three apertures each might be a better option. I am also considering wheel stops. One advantage, actually the only one really that I can think of for making your own mount for this lens is that one can make a stop for f64 which others have complained that Kodak omitted.