PDA

View Full Version : Source for ground glass for 8x10" Agfa/Ansco camera

Tom Johnston
16-Mar-2004, 11:13
Hi all. I just stumbled on this forum and I have a question. I am thinking about buying and 8x10" Ansco/Agfa camera but the ground glass has a big chunk out of it. Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement ground glass for this camera? Because of the design of the camera, the corners have to be clipped off which, of course, I could do myself. I also realize that, in a bind, I could grind my own glass. Which brings up another question: If I was to grind my own glass, what grinding medium is recommended?

Thanks

Moe_4073
16-Mar-2004, 11:34
Try: http://www.alettaphoto.com in the "parts" section. They also sell on eBay as well.

Tim Curry
16-Mar-2004, 11:37
Check with some of the LF suppliers (Midwest, Badger, KEH, etc.) and see who has the right size in stock. Measure carefully before you make the call.

To make your own, use the correct size glass to begin with. Tape the back side (masking or duct tape will do). Use 500 or 600 grit carborundum and a little water. You can use another piece of glass to work on. Small circles and finger pressure will work. Takes a bit of time, but works very well.

Use a pencil to mark the ground side in the grid of your choice.

Tom Johnston
16-Mar-2004, 11:49
Thanks guys. That's a big help.

Tim... can you suggest a source for the carborundum? I assume it is in powder or past form (?). Years ago I remember getting grinding pastes for lapping valves on an engine of mine but that was so long ago that I can't remember where I got it - probably an auto parts store.

Being an independent sort of guy who makes, modifies, and fixes just about anything, I like the idea of grinding my own glass.

Chauncey Walden
16-Mar-2004, 13:11
Tom, try a rock shop. They have 600 mesh silicon carbide grit in 1 pound cans for tumblers. Chauncey

Ernest Purdum
16-Mar-2004, 13:16
Tom, you're right about valve grinding compound. You can get a little tin of it in two grades from the auto parts store and it works fine. Use it between two sheets of glass. Aside from buying thin glass to begin with, the hard part is getting the edges and corners done as well as the interior portion. Maybe starting with a slightly oversize piece and cutting it down later would be easier. Should I do it again, I'm going to try gluing the top piece of glass to my orbital sander.

Tom Johnston
16-Mar-2004, 13:20
Chauncey,

Great idea!

Darn! My kids had two rock tumblers and the abrasives to go with it. When then grew up and, after seeing the stuff just lying around, I tossed it out.

I just found an article on the Photo Techniques website on the subject of grinding your own ground glass. The author wrote that he found aluminum oxide in 3 micron and 5 micron forms to produce a superior ground glass. He said that it actually was one stop brighter than a commercially available viewing screen. I just tried to get back to that article but I couldn't for some reason - or at least, I couldn't access it without paying a fee (or being a subscriber) the second time. But I was able to access it the first time with an internet search. Fortunately, I saved the article to my PC and I will be happy to share it with anyone else who might want to see it.

Thanks Again, Tom

Tom Johnston
16-Mar-2004, 13:22
Here's the link in case anyone else is interested in this.

http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/2003/mj-dokas/dokas.html

cliff
16-Mar-2004, 15:46
Go to your local glass supplier ask for acid etched glass or ground glass. It’s 1/16” thicker than camera ground glass. Works good for cameras 4x5 or bigger

Richard Wasserman
16-Mar-2004, 21:27
I would encourage you to make your own following the article in Photo Techniques. I've made 2 of them, 5x7 and 8x20 and while the process is a bit tedious, the results are well worth it. The groundglass I made is bright and very smooth looking- very easy to view and focus on. The only focussing screens I've seen that are better are Bill Maxwell's and not by too much.