PDA

View Full Version : How to display keywords in Google Analytics's dashboard?

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2012, 12:17
The Google help section is above my pay grade, I simply would like to display which keywords people used to get to my site. I don't have any ads running, no conversion goals or any other SEO gobbledygook going on. What parameters do I use to set up a Widget or what? Thanks

Looks like I also need to get a list of referring sites as the widget I set up isn't reporting them as a list, only as a percentage. Kind of complicated for civilians....

Eric Rose
17-Oct-2012, 13:49
If your hosting company has cpanel you can get all that info quite easily. I use AWSTATS.

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2012, 14:16
That doesn't answer my question - are you trying to be Obama?

marfa boomboom tx
17-Oct-2012, 14:28
That doesn't answer my question - are you trying to be Obama?

ah gee F@#,

for that, you don't get the answer ... it is trivial too.

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2012, 14:54
Well maybe a successful web developer who isn't on Food Stamps will assist me....

JBelthoff
17-Oct-2012, 15:49
Frank,

You need to look for "Organic Results" or something along those lines. It's been a while since I logged into any dashbords however Organic results visits are from serach engines. However, unless your website is well traveled you might not see very much activity in those results.

-- JB

marfa boomboom tx
17-Oct-2012, 16:17
Frank,

You need to look for "Organic Results" or something along those lines. It's been a while since I logged into any dashbords however Organic results visits are from serach engines. However, unless your website is well traveled you might not see very much activity in those results.

-- JB

wrong -- not going to be what HE NEEDS...

it takes paying the toll.

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2012, 16:29
I found it, thanks

Brian C. Miller
17-Oct-2012, 22:31
Frank, whoever does your website design needs to look at it with different browsers. Internet Explorer 8 with no flash gives me an awful page. I see your logo, and a bunch of blue links. Also, I did a search for "new york fine art photography" and Peter Lik came up on page four. For those search words, yours doesn't show up on the first ten pages. You need to read up on search engine optimization, like good keywords, some dummy domains and blog pages.

When it comes to keywords, don't use a hyphen in them. Use a space, unless you want someone to type a hyphen. Do some web searches using your keywords, and see what comes up. Also, be realistic about your keywords. Do you expect people looking for "Portra" or "Portra 400" to click on your site when your first picture is black & white?

A web search using the words "quirky large format film photography still using film" brings up Fatali at #9 on the first page. I would never have considered Fatali's images to be quirky.

As a web site, yours looks good on Firefox and Chrome. No "mystery meat navigation (http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/bad-web-design.html)" and it's easy to navigate. It takes forever to load one of your images. I don't know if it's bad image optimization or you have a slow server.

Frank Petronio
18-Oct-2012, 02:22
Thanks... it's ~just~ been redone through A Photo Folio's Design X iteration so it's aimed at art buyers with fast connections, more than people who might be using an old browser w/o Flash. It sends HTML5 to new browsers, defaults to Flash for older ones, and sucks for really old/non Flash ones.

Still, their server bogs down sometimes. Images are 300-400kb, 2048-pixels, optimized for Retina... ie not low bandwidth at all. Like Mitt, I don't care about the 47% of you since you don't have the discretionary income to buy photography. But yes it is quite a change from just a few years ago when I had a superlean site and would stress over a 400-pixel image and keep everything around 50kb.

Haven't really played with SEO yet but once I am done organizing the galleries I'll be busy tagging. Not to discount it entirely, but getting rankings isn't a super-high priority, it's more important to appeal to a select couple hundred decision makers who visit the site directly. I actually get a lot of visits from this forum, go figure.

A Photo Folio isn't perfect but I like the way it works on the phone and iPad (it dynamically resizes images for them) and the targeted viewers, serious art buyers and editors, are using up-to-date browsers, Flash, etc. I'd hate to have to think about how to develop the same capabilities independently for an individual site and it is nice to hand off the hosting duties (such as security) to a service after playing amateur webmaster for 15 years.

Going through A Photo Folio is why I am using Google Analytics ~ all my wise cracks aside.

Thanks for looking and comments!