PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 photo paper?

welly
15-Oct-2012, 22:06
Hey all,

I'd like to try some contact printing but don't want to throw loads of money at 8x10 paper so wanted to try some smaller 4x5 contact prints. Does anyone know if photographic paper is available in 4x5 format? I've seen plenty of 4x6, 5x7 and above but not specifically 4x5.

ImSoNegative
15-Oct-2012, 22:33
i have never seen any 4x5 paper, when i contact print my 4x5 negs i use the arista edu ultra 5x7 paper, very reasonably priced, good quality paper too.

welly
15-Oct-2012, 23:11
Oh well, probably cheaper than any possible 4x5 paper that might exist, which it seems not to do. Maybe I'll grab some 5x7 then and will try the stuff you've suggest.

Cheers!

Rain Dance
16-Oct-2012, 08:22
Or cut 8x10 into four? That's what I have been doing.

Martin Dake
16-Oct-2012, 15:38
Last time I bought some I got it from Ultrafine (Photo Warehouse)

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulphpa.html

Not sure if this helps you since you are in Australia.

Also, I think Ilford still list it in some of their product catalogs so check with whoever sells Ilford paper in your area.

Roger Cole
16-Oct-2012, 15:42
I had a bad experience with Ultrafine and will never buy anything from them again. Fortunately it wasn't all that expensive a lesson.

Ilford makes 4x6 postcard paper if you don't mind Multigrade RC and the postcard imprints on the back and cutting off an extra inch. You pay extra for that though, so it makes a lot more sense to just cut 8x10 into four. That's what I do for contact prints. A small (8.5x11 or whatever) guillotine type paper cutter should be very cheap used. I've had mine for years and someone gave it to me. I use that.

Martin Dake
16-Oct-2012, 16:03
I had a bad experience with Ultrafine and will never buy anything from them again. Fortunately it wasn't all that expensive a lesson.

Sorry to hear that.

I have bought paper a couple of times from them, Agfa paper when they repackaged it, and did not have any problems.

Roger Cole
16-Oct-2012, 17:04
Sorry to hear that.

I have bought paper a couple of times from them, Agfa paper when they repackaged it, and did not have any problems.

Nothing catastrophic, just some (admittedly expired) 35mm Elitechrome off eBay. What annoyed me was the ad insisted it was cold stored and, more importantly, "tested" and working great. Well it's not great. I slapped it in the freezer the moment I got it and shot a roll within a couple of weeks, with badly faded, pastel colors typical of long expired color film. If they'd just said "supposedly cold stored but we don't know for sure how it was stored before we bought it and it might or might not still be as good as new" or whatever I'd have not been bothered. But I've had generally very good luck with expired film until and since this batch that was supposedly tested. If they tested it they have very low standards, or it wasn't the same batch of film or hadn't been stored the same way. I shot another roll to be sure - same result. I then moved it out of my tiny film freezer area into the refrigerator area to make room and figured I might try cross processing it eventually and see what happens.

welly
16-Oct-2012, 17:17
Or cut 8x10 into four? That's what I have been doing.

Well, why didn't I think of that! :) Thank you.

chassis
16-Oct-2012, 19:05
Ilford offers it for sale: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/79193-REG/Ilford_1769818_Multigrade_IV_RC_DLX.html

I use 4x5 paper for contact/proof prints as a normal part of my workflow.