PDA

View Full Version : New Camera, how did I do

Shootar401
15-Oct-2012, 14:23
A friend of a friend gave me a heads up of a camera shop that closed down in the mid 80's. They have boxes upon boxes of "stuff" that have sat in storage since they closed up shop and changed into a store selling trinkets and things to the tourists. I made a few calls and seems they were really excited that someone would be interested in any of the stuff they had laying around. They had a Speed Graphic that I had to have since it was on my want list, I had no interest in anything else since I've been drooling over a SG for a good year now. Needless to say I took a look at the other stuff just out of curiosity. I was like a kid in a candy store. Too much awesomeness to even start remembering what I saw. But off the top of my head a Graflex 5x7 with about 20-30 wooden 5x7 holders, 4 sealed boxes of flash bulbs (a few hundred bulbs at least), 5x7 enlarger, developing tanks, tanks, tanks, more filters than I care to imagine. a few Aero Ektars (that I'm returning for) a Wooden 8x10 with a brass lens, wollensack maybe? Lights, stands, cases upon cases of outdated film, mostly 80's Kodak stock (at room temp for 20 years :( ), a Rolliflex TLR with a few lenses. and just about everything in between.

I scooped up the speed graphic, flash with 2 reflectors, 6 plastic Rightway holders, a wooden Graflex holder, 3 packs of a film I never heard of before, plus a pack film holder with some Tri-X for $180.

bobwysiwyg
15-Oct-2012, 14:51
Wow, what deal and spot of luck! Never happens to me though. :( :)

RawheaD
15-Oct-2012, 16:00
Any chance you can pick up an extra Aero Ektar for me? :D I have a 3x4 Graflex that I want to convert to an AE SLR.

Tobey69
15-Oct-2012, 18:51
all i can say is wow...

Drew Bedo
16-Oct-2012, 05:59
So whats the problem—take out a loan, cherry-pick and buy what you can , then sell off what it takes to cover the loan. You could come up with a dream kit (your dream) at no net cost.

rkmiec
16-Oct-2012, 06:23
I live in Athens and would love to call the store and at least check out that 5x7. Any chance you could pm that number to me. Nice score.

goamules
16-Oct-2012, 13:57
Yeah, can you tell us all where it is, so we can call them too and muddy up your buy? Seriously, I would carefully go through everything before saying more. There could be a very valuable item among all the stuff, and you've done all the legwork, you get first dibs. Only after you know you want nothing more would I open the phone lines for callers.

Shootar401
16-Oct-2012, 21:13
Yeah, can you tell us all where it is, so we can call them too and muddy up your buy? Seriously, I would carefully go through everything before saying more. There could be a very valuable item among all the stuff, and you've done all the legwork, you get first dibs. Only after you know you want nothing more would I open the phone lines for callers.

I already emailed and called the owner again and he has another business to run, but everything is still there and I gave him the forum information and he is aware of everybody here and how much they want stuff. I haven't been able to get a hold of him either.

As soon as I speak to him and get the ok I'll post his email here. And don't worry I already exhausted my budget for the month, so no more toys for me :(

Corran
18-Oct-2012, 12:54
Wow. I've been to a bunch of random shops up there. Wish I'd have heard of it, I would definitely have made an offer on all of it and squirreled it away. A 5x7 Speed? Nice.