PDA

View Full Version : Ground Glass Clips

T.G.
15-Oct-2012, 12:45
I have using been the washer system like on the Wisner Cameras to hold the ground glass in. I just tried to get a quote from a CNC shop to do the spring clips like on Deardorff Cameras, but that quote was way out of my league even in qty's of 200.
Does anyone know how the bar-type similar to Lotus cameras are done? I have not seen one in person.
Any other ideas appreciated.

lenser
15-Oct-2012, 12:59
I bought a couple of Deardorf style replacement clips through ebay at a relative song. Just a few bucks per set. I think the guy was a repeat seller on these things so you might just check a search there.

Tracy Storer
16-Oct-2012, 14:26
Hey Ty,
not sure what Lotus is doing, a Google image search didn't reveal enough detail. I think it's kind of like a low-profile mirror clip. (a stepped tab, with mounting holes on the thinner step.)
I've had "Deardorff-style" ones cut from brass on a Waterjet machine, leaving tabs to keep them captive on the sheet. You can get a lot of pieces done in a short time, but hand finishing is required. Laser-cutting may also be an option in thin materials. (so far, I've only had plastics laser-cut)

T.G.
16-Oct-2012, 15:37
Tracy, yes, I checked to have a mess-load cut via CNC/Waterjet/laser. The quote I received was $6.25 each for 50 and $5 each for 200. I touched base with Keith at K.B. Canham, and figured my own way just do the bar style. I think it will look good.
The ones that were showing up on ebay were made by the new Deadorff guys. I haven't seen them lately.

Amedeus
16-Oct-2012, 16:24
I found 4 on e**y recently for $20 ... they do show up from time to time. There are so many parts I need though on a regular basis in alu, brass, plastic and wood that I'm contemplating to take over a small CNC machine and put it in my garage ... :)

There's just no end to it

OTOH, Seneca 8x10 backs come with little strips of perforated metal over the corners. Not as neat as a clip but equally functional.

taulen
16-Oct-2012, 16:31
I know Scott-- used these : http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=48668&cat=3,49938
when he "rebuilt" his Asanuma 4x5. The "c" version. : http://scottperryphoto.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/asanuma-project-camera-4x5-insert-so-close/

E. von Hoegh
17-Oct-2012, 07:17
Tracy, yes, I checked to have a mess-load cut via CNC/Waterjet/laser. The quote I received was $6.25 each for 50 and $5 each for 200. I touched base with Keith at K.B. Canham, and figured my own way just do the bar style. I think it will look good.
The ones that were showing up on ebay were made by the new Deadorff guys. I haven't seen them lately.

T.G., if you're making anything that will have to function as a spring, it's best to use phosphor bronze instead of brass.
For the GG clips brass would be suitable as it won't be flexing as a spring would, just maintaining pressure on the glass after installation.

T.G.
17-Oct-2012, 10:51
T.G., if you're making anything that will have to function as a spring, it's best to use phosphor bronze instead of brass.
For the GG clips brass would be suitable as it won't be flexing as a spring would, just maintaining pressure on the glass after installation.
Interesting. Metallurgy is something I am slowly learning. Thank you, and yes, it would be just maintaining pressure.

William Whitaker
17-Oct-2012, 11:51
I have using been the washer system like on the Wisner Cameras to hold the ground glass in.

This doesn't work for you? I've used it in the past for a back that I built and it worked fine for me.

The Deardorff clips on Ebay are sold by attrevida, the user ID for Barry Cochran of the current Deardorff Cameras. I believe they are new old stock. Perhaps you could ask him even though he doesn't currently have those clips listed.

ic-racer
17-Oct-2012, 14:36
The brass ones on a Century were pretty easy to reproduce: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6257&d=1191206991
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration&p=278463&viewfull=1#post278463