PDA

View Full Version : Burke & James 8x10 restored with Baby Graflex Shutter and 300mm Industar

Edward Leskin
15-Oct-2012, 10:22
This is my first post here. I just finished restoring my 8x10 B&J camera. I also used a baby Graflex Shutter mounted on a home made lens board to use barrel lenses. The photo here shows the 300mm Industar f4.5 lens. I managed to flash synch the shutter by running a cable through the lens board to the back. This type of shutter will only synch with electronic flash in the T setting on the Graflex shutter. This is ok in that I have a fast hand and I can close the curtain fast. The B&J had it's ugly grey paint stripped off and I used a tung oil finish. The camera was under $400. The Graflex cost $25 as a parts camera, and the 300mm Industar came from Ukraine at under $100. Not a shot taken yet, but from what I have seen online, this Industar seems like a great lens, even more useful now that I have B to 1/1000!!!!

Edward Leskin
15-Oct-2012, 10:23
Here is the photo

Edward Leskin
15-Oct-2012, 10:25
Here is a side view.

Denis Pleic
15-Oct-2012, 10:36
Resourceful - although some will undoubtedly criticise you for destroying a Speed Graphic.
But, as you said, it was "parts camera", so the damage was already done.
But, does it add a lot to the total weight? What's the weight of the "shutter box" itself?
Probably not very practical for hiking, but neither is the BJ 8x10 camera :)

SergeiR
15-Oct-2012, 11:31
hmm.. you mean industar actually covers 8x10? (considering they were made for 5x7 it sort of surprises me)

EdWorkman
15-Oct-2012, 11:32
Fantastic all around

Craig Roberts
15-Oct-2012, 14:31
Nice job on this. Enjoy it.

Denis Pleic
15-Oct-2012, 15:46
BTW, I love the job you did with the camera. It looks very nice!

jp
15-Oct-2012, 17:10
Looks great!

pound
15-Oct-2012, 18:36
looks great. good idea on the Graflex shutter.

Edward Leskin
15-Oct-2012, 19:30
Thanks everyone for their great comments! This setup should work very well. I will post some pics of the shutter itself unmounted so all of you can see what it looks like. What is great is how cheap this was. The Baby Graflex was in bad shape to begin with and that is why it was $25 on Ebay. The seller said the shutter was fine, but everything else was falling apart and ugly. Perfect for me. I did feel a little sad breaking apart the Baby Graflex but it is better to use it for something greater like an 8'x10" camera. I got this idea from a thread I was reading somewhere online that this was done. There were no photos though so I had to do it from scratch. I did mount wood inside what was left of the Baby Graflex to give it more strength and for something to screw into when mounting a custom cut thin plywood front. I did use J&B weld as well in addition to wood screws. I wanted everything to be very solid for that big Industar lens. I hope some on this forum will look at this and try it too. These barrel lenses are great buys, and finding a very affordable way to use them without spending tons of money on a front mount shutter with speeds is great news for people who think large format is too expensive for them. Everyone can enjoy it , poor, rich, etc,,, everyone!

Edward Leskin
15-Oct-2012, 19:40
I, being a cost cutter, also wanted a good tripod for this rig. I only had a Tiltall that was good for my Linhof Color 4x5 but not good for the large B&J. I then began reading about survey tripods being used by large format photographers as a cheap alternative to an expensive large format tripod. Some used stuff is not that expensive, but I wanted new fresh out of the box. I went to a local supplier of survey equipment and for $80 I found a very sturdy metal survey tripod. I had to spend an extra $3 for a bolt and wing nut to mount the camera, but it really works. The only thing is there is no movable tripod head yet. I would love to see some home made heads and cheaper alternatives by forum members. Tripod heads for big cameras can get expensive!

Kevin J. Kolosky
15-Oct-2012, 21:25
I might have put a bit of walnut stain on it!

Amedeus
15-Oct-2012, 23:03
Great job Edward.

I'm doing something similar with a Speed Graphic parts camera and a Kodak 2D with a broken front standard. I like your shutter release :) ... clever !

Thanks everyone for their great comments! This setup should work very well. I will post some pics of the shutter itself unmounted so all of you can see what it looks like. What is great is how cheap this was. The Baby Graflex was in bad shape to begin with and that is why it was $25 on Ebay. The seller said the shutter was fine, but everything else was falling apart and ugly. Perfect for me. I did feel a little sad breaking apart the Baby Graflex but it is better to use it for something greater like an 8'x10" camera. I got this idea from a thread I was reading somewhere online that this was done. There were no photos though so I had to do it from scratch. I did mount wood inside what was left of the Baby Graflex to give it more strength and for something to screw into when mounting a custom cut thin plywood front. I did use J&B weld as well in addition to wood screws. I wanted everything to be very solid for that big Industar lens. I hope some on this forum will look at this and try it too. These barrel lenses are great buys, and finding a very affordable way to use them without spending tons of money on a front mount shutter with speeds is great news for people who think large format is too expensive for them. Everyone can enjoy it , poor, rich, etc,,, everyone!

Mark Sawyer
16-Oct-2012, 15:40
Great idea and execution! I'd be concerned about vibration during the exposure though. Experience will tell...

ScottPhotoCo
16-Oct-2012, 19:26
Nicely done! I just picked up the rail B&J Grover and might strip the ugly gray paint as well.

jp
17-Oct-2012, 07:00
Great idea and execution! I'd be concerned about vibration during the exposure though. Experience will tell...

I do the same thing on a bigger scale; 8x10 rembrandt B&J, 4x5 speed graphic shutter, big old 100+ mm rear element lens.The vibration seems to be after the shutter closes and is decelerating.I would expect more vibration than the OP, but it hasnt affected photos.

Stephanie Brim
26-Oct-2012, 13:50
I would be interested in seeing pictures of exactly how you did this. I may be refurbing a 5x7 really soon and it would be nice to have a shutter that I could use with barrel lenses that had more versatility than a Packard and cost less than the old focal plane shutters are going for on Ebay. Because...yikes.

ImSoNegative
23-Nov-2012, 07:27
beautiful! if burke and james had made this look like this out of the factory they could have probably gotten more money for them, nice job

ImSoNegative
23-Nov-2012, 07:33
I, being a cost cutter, also wanted a good tripod for this rig. I only had a Tiltall that was good for my Linhof Color 4x5 but not good for the large B&J. I then began reading about survey tripods being used by large format photographers as a cheap alternative to an expensive large format tripod. Some used stuff is not that expensive, but I wanted new fresh out of the box. I went to a local supplier of survey equipment and for $80 I found a very sturdy metal survey tripod. I had to spend an extra $3 for a bolt and wing nut to mount the camera, but it really works. The only thing is there is no movable tripod head yet. I would love to see some home made heads and cheaper alternatives by forum members. Tripod heads for big cameras can get expensive!

Hi edward, i use a surveyors tripod for my calumet c1 (black monster) weighs 18 pounds, that tripod holds it solid. if you google concerning the tripod head, there was a fellow that made one for his, i was thinking about it but havnt done it yet, good luck

Michael Kadillak
23-Nov-2012, 13:46
I might have put a bit of walnut stain on it!

I would have also put a coat of medium stain on it and a clear coat to give it that finished look. It is easy to puck up a bit of scrap wood of what species the camera is made out of to test the dried look of an applied stain. But if it works for you that is all that matters.

RPippin
29-Nov-2012, 08:20
I also have an 8X10 B&J, and currently trying to strip the paint off. How did you get the paint stripped? What did you use?

lesmainsrouges
1-Feb-2013, 01:45
Nice job, congrats.

Edward Leskin
3-Mar-2013, 09:33
Have been away awhile! I have been using my B&J with Graflex shutter and the results are incredible! No light leaks! Exposure accurate! etc,,,. This method is very cost effective and cheap! I am using it to demonstrate Large Format to a workshop I am running for Artsquest in Bethlehem PA. My students love it!

Edward Leskin
3-Mar-2013, 09:38
Next week, I will be doing a portrait workshop with this rig! That Industar 300mm will be incredible I think! Flash synch will be in T or bulb mode in that you cannot synch with flash unless the full curtain is open.

Edward Leskin
3-Mar-2013, 09:43
My next lens is a Konica 150mm Hexanon with Packard shutter. I have held this lens in front of my glass and it looks wonderful in terms of coverage and sharpness. I cannot believe how small it is! Great buy on Ebay for $100!!! Gosh, my Industar 300mm cost $100! I only spent $200 for my entire 2 lens kit for my B&J, and my B&J was only $350! Who says Large Format is Expensive? Heck, I just tried Freestyle Arista 400 EDU 8"x!0" and so far, very impressive for the cheaper price! Npw all I need is an Epson V750!!!!

Edward Leskin
3-Mar-2013, 09:49
Industar 300 covers 8x10 without any vignetting at all! I am very impressed!!!!

SergeiR
4-Mar-2013, 15:04
Industar 300 covers 8x10 without any vignetting at all! I am very impressed!!!!

cool, thanks, Edward.

nede
10-Jul-2013, 07:00
do you have some datas about this big gun?
industar 37 4,5/300mm as I have to make a rear flange to adapt on my cambo SCII, can't find the rear dimensions