PDA

View Full Version : Best practise when storing lenses?

l2oBiN
14-Oct-2012, 17:46
In designating a storage area for storing LF equipment (lenses, cameras, light meter, film, filters etc) I started wondering whether there are any tips on how to best store the equipment. Assuming the equipment is used intermittedly (a couple of times per 6 months), are there any tips, tricks or hints that I should be aware of in order to best protect the gear?

Marko

Mark MacKenzie
14-Oct-2012, 18:08
I have lately been putting the lenses I have in plastic sandwich bags for protection. I have an old wooden card filing box that I made some wooden rails with slots to hold the lensboards. For larger lenses I have cigar boxes.

lenser
14-Oct-2012, 18:30
Since lenses are susceptible to fungi, store them sealed in zip locks or some sort of Tupperware type food containers with some little packets of desiccants or, if in an open environment, be sure the humidity is low at all times. Caps stay on mine whenever possible.

Vick Ko
14-Oct-2012, 18:56
Yeah, bags with silica gel is best.

I hear storing in those traditional leather felt-lined cases is not good, due to possibility of fungus. That's more for the 35mm and MF world, probably not so much LF.

Steve Goldstein
15-Oct-2012, 07:58
There are products made for boat owners that can be used in enclosed spaces like a big plastic tub or a safe. The one I use is roughly a quart/liter size plastic container with the top half filled with pellets (I think it's Calcium chloride, CaCl2). It sucks moisture out of the air and deposits it in the bottom of the container. It has to be emptied periodically, and you do need to be careful not to tip it, which would be an issue for a movable container like a plastic tub. One brand name is Damp Rid, I buy it in the US at West Marine.

Silica gel packets are much neater. You can get "recharagable" versions - the exterior package is metal, so the accumulated moisture can be driven off by a couple of hours in the oven. These change color as the gel gets saturated so you can know when to heat it. I have a couple of these for use in small cases, I think I bought them from Micro-Mark.

Gem Singer
15-Oct-2012, 08:15
My lenses are mounted on lens boards, wrapped in Domke Wraps to protect them from damage and dust.

They are stored in a cool, dry closet until ready to be used.

Sealed in a plastic container with a desiccant and no air flow, doesn't seem like the best idea.

cosmicexplosion
16-Oct-2012, 02:15
i have just seen a printer use a de-humidifier for his lenses, makes sense and at about $250 a wise investment.

the silica bag sounds good especially for travell

C. D. Keth
16-Oct-2012, 15:06
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that it's best to store lenses with the iris wide open, the viewing lever in viewing position if there is one, and uncocked.

jonreid
16-Oct-2012, 16:35
I installed a 15watt light bulb in my camera cupboard recently after a little fungus issue (damn you La Nina!), and I leave it on. Some air needs to circulate as well.

l2oBiN
17-Oct-2012, 05:11
So to minimize chance of fungal growth, I should not place the lenses in sealed zip-loc bags? Or is it ok to leave them in zip-loc bags only when silica pellets are present?

Drew Wiley
17-Oct-2012, 09:13
All depends on the climate. It's nice to have some air circulation around them. But if you
put them in boxes or in a cabinet or something like a gun safe, you generally need some
kind of dessicant. I'm about to order a case of it. Most brands are generally just a blend
of hydroscopic lime and rock salt, but this works. Silica gel is more expensive and better suited to small containers, but you can bake it out for reuse - I like the kind that
tells you when it's saturated with a color change. I goes from blue to pink.

Drew Wiley
17-Oct-2012, 09:19
Dehumidifiers don't work well in every climate - it's a dewpoint issue. These can create heat in the room, drive up your utility bills, and need to be regularly drained. The best kind for difficult climates uses a dessicant with a built in dryer and not just a condensation coil, but these are way too expensive for the typical darkroom.

Ian David
17-Oct-2012, 14:51
Also look into the small electric dry cabinets (example: http://www.drycabinet.com.au/). They are pretty neat little units and not particularly expensive. In a pretty humid climate here, I have been using one for the last 5 or 6 years with apparently good results.

Ian

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2012, 15:00
I see that a lot of the wealthy camera collectors in Hong Kong and other humid places use those dry cabinet devices. Makes sense

Second the blades open, uncocked and on T.

I throw these into camera cases, occasionally dry them out, don't worry too much since it isn't too humid and we live in AC.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442851-REG/Archival_Methods_53_001_Desiccant_Canisters_Metal_Case.html

cosmicexplosion
18-Oct-2012, 03:20
the dry cabinet on its website calls it self a dehumidifier....which is what it does unless it adds its own brand of dryness.

i didnt mean a room de humidifier.

it seems you could get any old cabinet and stick a 5 watt light bulb in it and go for gold.

other wise i had a look on eplay, and their is heaps of dry cabinetsn of different sizes.

from ebay: It is equipped with efficient T.E.COOLING dehumidification component which is quiet, does not generate heat, and consumes very little electricity.

sounds good, i might get a 20ltre one for home and travel. keeps dust out to.!

cosmicexplosion
18-Oct-2012, 03:34
ps thanks for dry cabinet tip frank

dap
19-Oct-2012, 09:35
They make dehumidifier rods for gun safes (dry rod is one brand). If you are worried about fungus it might be worthwhile to stick one of these in the area/cabinet that you store your lenses in.

jonreid
19-Oct-2012, 16:51
They make dehumidifier rods for gun safes (dry rod is one brand). If you are worried about fungus it might be worthwhile to stick one of these in the area/cabinet that you store your lenses in.

Yep, call them wardrobe heaters down here.