PDA

View Full Version : Need a Linhof board drilled for #4 Dialset Ilex Shutter

Bill, 70's military B&W
14-Oct-2012, 10:13
This has to be possible... Linhof boards come drilled for #3 shutters. A #4 Dialset Ilex Shutter is just a tiny bit bigger. So I'm sure it will fit.
From what I am reading I come up with the following sizes for holes in the lens board.

#3, 2.524"
#4 Dialset, 2.604"

Are these numbers right?
Where can I find or have a blank Linhof drilled to that specific size?
When drilling, how accurate do they have to be?
The shutter is a Dialset Ilex Shutter.
What size hole is easily found or can a machine shop drill?
I'm sure I can find a machine shop to drill it but, what common drill bit should they use? I'm not sure what selection a machine shop will have. For example would a 2.75" work?

Never mounted a lens before,
Bill

Oren Grad
14-Oct-2012, 10:51
SK Grimes can do it for you. I've had them bore a Technika board and install an odd-sized flange. If you supply the board, the cost shouldn't be too bad, especially if the alternative is to spend hours tracking down a machine shop that will do it and figuring out what you need to ask for.

B.S.Kumar
14-Oct-2012, 20:34
I'm assuming you are speaking of Linhof Technika style lensboards. While properly made lensboards are milled, rather than being drilled, usable boards can be made out of plywood or masonite. Or you can get a custom sized board from eBay. Search for sellers ecbuyonline and jinfinance.

Kumar

Roger Thoms
14-Oct-2012, 21:43
SK Grimes can do it for you. I've had them bore a Technika board and install an odd-sized flange. If you supply the board, the cost shouldn't be too bad, especially if the alternative is to spend hours tracking down a machine shop that will do it and figuring out what you need to ask for.

Grimes also shows a generic Technika board as a stock item, so it could be one stop shopping.

Roger

Oren Grad
14-Oct-2012, 22:00
Grimes also shows a generic Technika board as a stock item, so it could be one stop shopping.

Yes, I've done one-stop shopping on several boring/mounting jobs with SKG. They do charge a premium price for the boards, though, so the total adds up. If budget is tight, be sure to ask ahead about the cost and compare against the price for generic or second-hand boards obtained elsewhere.

Bill, 70's military B&W
18-Oct-2012, 18:28
My research so far shows a #4 Dialset, 2.604"or 6.61416cm
I found on ebay a lens board that is "approximately 65mm' hole. I'm buying it. Even if it does not fit, I'm sure I can enlarge the hole a little.

My question is "Is a #4 Dialset, 2.604", 6.61416cm a standard size?
I've had a lot of difficulty coming up with this information.

Bill

Corran
18-Oct-2012, 18:33

You mean the 10 minutes needed to check out the Yellow Pages and call a few, find one willing to do small one-off jobs, and another 15-20 to drive there and explain what you need?

I can't believe what people pay for custom lens boards and mounting. My local machinist has made flanges and drilled out boards for 1/4 what I've seen quoted for the same job at some boutique place. I'm sure it's high-quality stuff, but why spend all that money on such a simple job that can be handled locally??

BrianShaw
18-Oct-2012, 18:49
I had an "odd size shutter" mounted on a Cambo board not long ago. The board was old and had a hole but the hole was undersized. $40 and 1 day is all it took. I think I also spent 5 miontues sending the shop an email. The mounting job was very, very clean.

http://www.stevecamera.com/

Bill, 70's military B&W
28-Oct-2012, 09:55
I took care of it myself, I bought a lens board drilled for #3 Copal, all it needed was to enlarged a couple of mm's. Took a 1/2 round file and evenly enlarged it. Did that by counting the strokes, cut 90* of the circumference at a time. Took about 5 minutes, results were perfect.
Bill