PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Ground Glass (DIY Grid lines)

tenderobject
13-Oct-2012, 14:18
Hi!

I've been playing with a user Speed Graphic lately here in Iran. It's very easy to use for my needs.
Anyway, i'm having a little problem with the ground glass. There's no grid lines that i can use for leveling or framing my shots.
Is it ok to use a pen / marker to put grid lines on the ground glass or are there any other way? :D

Thank you guys!

J

brucetaylor
13-Oct-2012, 15:01
A sharp pencil works too, and the lines can be removed. It was a common way to temporarily mark motion picture camera ground glass.

Malcolm E. Sharp
13-Oct-2012, 15:02
A sharp pencil on the ground side will work, and you can wash it off easily if you ever need to.

(oops, beat me to it, at least we have the same idea!)

Jim Jones
13-Oct-2012, 15:36
If you prefer permanent lines, they can be scribed into the ground side of the glass with anything with a hard sharp point. These lines will appear slightly brighter than the surrounding image. When scribing them, I tape the GG to a sheet of paper with an appropriate grid, and guide the scriber with a ruler. Using this technique on a plastic ground glass might be messier.

tenderobject
13-Oct-2012, 23:18
thank you guys! i'll try pencil first. i'll put the lines on the ground side (matte). so i need to disable the glass from the back.

domaz
14-Oct-2012, 10:53
Err careful you are scribing the actual ground glass and not the fresnel on a Speed Graphic. It's easy to scratch the fresnel.

Jim Jones
14-Oct-2012, 15:58
Err careful you are scribing the actual ground glass and not the fresnel on a Speed Graphic. It's easy to scratch the fresnel.

Thanks, good reminder if the SG has a fresnel. Older ones often don't.

tenderobject
16-Oct-2012, 07:26
thanks domaz. the fresnel is separated with the ground glass so i think i'm ok with that. :)

C. D. Keth
16-Oct-2012, 17:28
When I reground my groundglass finer, I added grid lines with a fine pencil. I found those lines all but disappeared when I was under the dark cloth. I came home today, washed them off, and redrew a grid with a .25mm technical drafting pen. Much better. Fine lines yet easily seen.

tenderobject
16-Oct-2012, 19:30
ohh that would nice. will try it then. :)

When I reground my groundglass finer, I added grid lines with a fine pencil. I found those lines all but disappeared when I was under the dark cloth. I came home today, washed them off, and redrew a grid with a .25mm technical drafting pen. Much better. Fine lines yet easily seen.

AtlantaTerry
11-Aug-2013, 00:28
If you have a well-stocked art supply nearby ask to see some of their Chartpak products. Graphic artists and cartoonists use these. Some of the products are a very thin black or dashed line with a sticky back (sort of like Scotch tape). Apply it to a ground glass to describe various outlines. When finished, it is easily removed. A similar product is made for white boards.

http://www.discountofficeitems.com/product/CHABG6201?cid=cse-shopping&ref=shopping.com

http://www.magnatag.com/page/TP/supply/whiteboard-chart-tape.asp?gclid=CMvTy%2DPu9LgCFenm7AodTBgAog