PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer 9" Wide Angle Anastigmat

yronnen
12-Oct-2012, 05:25
Dallmeyer 9" Wide angle anastigmat

I sadly need to raise some funds. Looking at my lens collection I have realised that I have lenses in my possession that in all likelihood I will never use or never use to their potential. One of these lenses is the aforementioned Dallmeyer 9 inch Wide Angle Anastigmat If only because of film costs it is extremely unlikely now that I will want to shoot bigger than 12x10.

I have two problems firstly I have never sold a lens so am not really sure how to. What I mean by that is I do not know how to list it in such away as to come to the attention of what I am I am sure is a relatively small bunch of people who might be interested in a 9 inch lens that covers 100 degrees.

It is the longest wide angle lens that Dallmeyer produced. It is of the same double Gauss design as the Cooke series VIIb and the Meyer Wide Aristostigmat.

T.T.& H and Dallmeyer produced very similar ranges of wide angle lenses both in design and quality but Dallmeyer produced a slightly wider range. I am pretty sure T.T.& H only built the Cooke Series VIIb up to 8 1/4 inch. Whereas Dallmeyer extended their Series XXIII Wide Angle Anastigmat range up to this 9 inch one. I have an earlyish uncoated 8 inch version of the Cooke lens that I intend to retain to use on 10x12. At the other end of the scale Dallmeyer also produced a very useful 60mm lens which T.T.&H omitted from their range. Dallmeyer rated the 9" to cover 15x12 at f16 though presumably it would cover substantially more if stopped down further Having said that I would hate to speculate just how much coverage it does have.

The other problem is I'm not really sure of its value though I am pretty sure of it's rarity. I have never seen nor even heard of another one.

Any suggestions that you might have for me would be very greatly appreciated.

Roger

Louis Pacilla
12-Oct-2012, 07:14
Put it on eBay for a 7 day no reserve auction. Offer world wide EMS shipping and and don't take offers.

Jody_S
12-Oct-2012, 07:31
Ebay might get you market value, but you might also end up selling your lens for $50. For unusual items, you really have to get at least 2 serious bidders who are willing to pay a fair price who actively bid, instead of a bunch of hopefuls with automated software waiting til the last 5 seconds to make a low-ball bid. I don't know how many serious bidders will compete on a lens like this; vintage wide angles aren't getting the same prices as Dallmeyer soft focus lenses.

If you're not in a hurry, I suggest trying it here first, ask your price and see if people are interested or willing to haggle. This advice is against my personal better interest, as I'm one of the people who low-balls on ebay and I have bought a dozen vintage wide-angles just that way (recently a Darlot lever-stop for 8x10 for $90).

yronnen
12-Oct-2012, 07:47
Thank you. Sorry I should have been more specific in my request for advice. Which categories might I best list it in to reach the select group that might appreciate the qualities of my lens please

yronnen
12-Oct-2012, 07:58
Jody_S You're idea of listing it on here is a good one. The problem is I have no idea what to ask for the lens. If any one has any ideas I would appreciate them please Thank you Roger

goamules
12-Oct-2012, 08:13
This seems to be a little known lens, so guessing a value is pretty much impossible to sell here. You can just take a guess, and list it and see. If it's too high, lower it every 2 days until it sells. If you want to maximize your potential, you have to go to Ebay.

One Ebay ad for your lens may say "Old Anastigmat" and ask $100, another may say "Rare Dallmeyer Wide Angle - Like Cooke VIIb - 10x12" and ask $900. The former is likely to sell, the latter, not so much. But it may.

If you paid a lot, put it on ebay with what you paid as your reserve. At least you'll break even (unless you paid too much). If you paid little, put it on Ebay with no reserve. Either way, put a good title somewhere between my two, good pictures, write up all the history, etc. Then just figure it's worth what you get. Just because it's uncommon, doesn't mean anyone wants it. Though there are several reasons I'd base my value higher:

1. It has the Dallmeyer name on it.
2. It is a Ultra Large Format, wide angle.

cyberjunkie
15-Oct-2012, 16:22
I am sorry.
I don't agree with some advices.
I follow MANY Ebay auctions, and i have made up my own understanding of the psychology of most large format vintage lenses aficionados.

1) NO RESERVE. Items with a reserve price don't get sold (well, most of the times..). Most people think that the reserve could easily be totally unrealistic, and give up straight away, without a second thought.
2) Avoid "Buy It Now", and don't pay any attention to the thieves who are selling the same lenses, over and over, for years, at unreasonable prices. They are waiting for the stupid fish who will eat the whole hook with no need for a bait :) It happens only once in a while. Most likely, you are not as patient, and as dishonest.
3) Auctions starting from 1 euro/dollar usually get good money, if the item being sold is not VERY common and unattractive.
4) Your lens is definitely an interesting one. Not very expensive, but not cheap either. Forget the chance of selling it for 50 bucks, unless you open your auction only to Vanuatu, S. Marino, Moldova, and similar places. I was adding Vatican City to the list... but i changed my mind. There are good chances that some purple-clad collector would be more than willing to spend good money on your lens! :)
All the poor sales are due to two mistakes: domestic-only auctions; badly described items.
I am glad that some people are still making this kind of mistakes. Other way i could never afford lenses which are usually reserved to much deeper pockets :)

goamules
15-Oct-2012, 17:01

Dan Fromm
15-Oct-2012, 17:25
Garrett, the opening bid is a visible reserve. Invisible reserves are bad luck. When I was selling lotsa lenses I set the opening bid at the least I'd take, charges etc. included. Anything more was gravy.

yronnen
16-Oct-2012, 17:05
Thank you all for your advise and guidance. It really is appreciated that you have taken the trouble to help me with this. I have decided that I will sell it by Ebay. and will list it shortly. Hopefully now that you have kindly given me the benefit of your experience I will be able to avoid some of the the pitfalls I might otherwise have fallen into.

yronnen
21-Oct-2012, 10:06
The lens is now on Ebay item number 181003377073. I think I have taken note of all advice and guidance given and the listing is infinitely better than it would otherwise would have been. Once again thanks. If you should think I have done anything particularly stupid in the listing I would be grateful if you could let me know.